This decade may be musically the SHITTIEST one of the century?

Leandrusi

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I suppose that many people don't remember the beginning of MTV. When it first started, there weren't even any commercials on it. They didn't really sell anything.

They also didn't have many American made videos at the time, so they actually imported many videos from the UK...which resulted in a second British invasion of sorts.

But the first year or so of MTV, it really was a nice new artform showcasing music...then it went way downhill very quickly to where it was more about the "lifestyle of cool" than anything else.

• Members

Nobody take this personally.....

...But what has changed is YOU.

"Today" sucks because you decided your taste has become more sophisticated, so inevitably you feel you are above the current incarnation of mainstream.

....Even though you still like the dumbed-down music of your time.

The decorative elements have changed, but the mood, intent, and purpose of popular music is EXACTLY the same as it always has been, ever since there was recorded music.

So to be concise, it's the same seductive lady wearing different clothing.....And she hasn't aged, although you have.

• Members

Nobody take this personally.....

...But what has changed is YOU.

"Today" sucks because you
decided
your taste has become more sophisticated, so inevitably you feel you are above the current incarnation of mainstream.

....Even though you still like the dumbed-down music of
your
time.

The decorative elements have changed, but the mood, intent, and purpose of popular music is EXACTLY the same as it always has been, ever since there was recorded music.

So to be concise, it's the same seductive lady wearing different clothing.....And she hasn't aged, although you have.

Oh that's for sure. The music I grew up on was what Lester Bangs rightfully called "gloriously dumb". But that's what made it great. :thu:

• Members

Even so, there's nothing that comes to my mind from the past 10 years that I, nor anyone I know would/could point out as musically outstanding.

Non-mainstream stuff, as usual, is leading the way here... radio and the like have become so consolidated these days, you won't hear an occasional "underground" artist there anymore. (Or a kick-ass local / regional band, for that matter.)

I think it's really important for musicians to keep up with the music scene (and for all that's said about the Internet, the 'Net makes it a helluv a lot easier to do that). To me, any pop musician that says an entire decade's worth of music is {censored} is a musician whose musical soul is stagnating... :cry:

• Members

First off that's not true.

Second, why don't you embrace what's new and what's yet to come.

By just saying "all music created after the 80s was {censored}" , you are closing so many doors- when as a musician you should be broadening your horizons and accepting new ideas and creations.

• Members

RANT

The mainstream (MTV) basically took a {censored} and gave up around Woodstock 94. Why do you think MTV went back to boy bands and reality shows in the 90's? It's because being on the cutting edge is hard to keep up with, it will bite any hand that feeds. It's much easier to show tits on spring break.

Anyway. Some of my favorite music is from the 90's... but if I go to a jukebox in most places filled with all 90's music.. I can't find one song to play. I ain't going to find the Vindictives, Jawbreaker, Moose, Promise Ring or even Frankie Bones. That era is the dark ages of music. All word of mouth and no internet .. as soon as the internet caught it's stride it seemed to concentrate on the 70's - 80's for the "wayback" machine. And god bless it, I've found so much amazing new wave/disco/techno/punk/funk/soul because of the internet and music blogs. MUTANT SOUNDS! etc.

None of our opinions here really matter because I can assume that most of us here aren't into mainstream music. So in fact on this subject. We're the trolls. Don't worry about it. Make music, and find others and build a scene ... influence some younger people.

Added note. As for "indie" music today. Yes some/most of it bothers me. I blame 9/11 for making things so politicized today. Sometimes I feel some strange politcal pressure when buying a sandwich for lunch.

This "you woundn't hit a guy with glasses" vibe I get from some of these beardos annoy me because I can tell that ten years ago they would be Dave Matthews jocks .. now they listen to Bon Iver or something..

• Members

Damn ,. I must be jadded. I can't say I like one of those bands in that list, ... and I know nearly all of them. Don't know that latin jazz stuff. I should check that out.

Maybe I'm just too busy making music to really digest most of it? mmmm ... I can think of a handful groups I like right now. Most are friends though.

Blues Control

Lucky Dragons

CAVE

Lazer Crystal

Killer Whales

come to mind....

• Members

My main problem with music today is. Where is the heavy stuff? Where is the new death metal or techno of today?

My main nostalgia is based on sound systems. Back in the rave days you didn't hear a kick drum .. it pushed you back about a 6 inches back every beat!! I know those sound systems were totally harmful and illegal.. but man I wish kids could experiance that today. Audio terrorism.

• Members

My main nostalgia is based on sound systems. Back in the rave days you didn't hear a kick drum .. it pushed you back about a 6 inches back every beat!! I know those sound systems were totally harmful and illegal.. but man I wish kids could experiance that today. Audio terrorism.

:confused:

• Members

Pink Floyd anyone?

Utterly mainstream.

What was interesting about them was that allmost all their albums up to "the Wall" sounded quite different from each other - they evolved musically and did not sell the same song repackaged again and again.

Quite a few other huge bands in the 70's did the same - but i have yet to hear much innovation from album to album in mainstream bands that have been huge sellers over the past 10 years.

...of course, i don't listen hard for it - i'll admit that but it should be really obvious when there is a change, right?

• Members

You're 14 so that doesn't really count...

Hey hey there... 14 is a very important age for music. I think other posts in this thread have touched on that.

When I was 14 I was getting out of pop-punk and synth-pop. Getting very into what was called ambient then. Aphex Twin, Oval, U-ziq, etc. I wasn't too into the "boom boom" stuff. Then I got dragged to my first rave and heard the boom boom for the first time and it all made sense. What I was hearing before was like hearing an un-amped guitar version of techno. You really had to hear it live and loud to get it. After that day. I stopped being such a shut in and started to actually like society.. and then there's now.. ;) confused as ever.

• Members

Hey hey there... 14 is a very important age for music. I think other posts in this thread have touched on that.

When I was 14 I was getting out of pop-punk and synth-pop. Getting very into what was called ambient then.
Aphex Twin
, Oval, U-ziq, etc. I wasn't too into the "boom boom" stuff. Then I got dragged to my first rave and heard the boom boom for the first time and it all made sense. What I was hearing before was like hearing an un-amped guitar version of techno. You really had to hear it live and loud to get it. After that day. I stopped being such a shut in and started to actually like society.. and then there's now..
;)
confused as ever.

:thu:

Archived