Anyone try detuning their speaker cab ?

Gravity

• Members

I have a 4X12 Hiwatt with Celestion G12T-75 speakers that I have grown sick of.

I just ordered a Governor and a Wizard from AvatarSpeakers and I'm going to pull all 4 Celestions and just replace the top two holes with the new Eminence drivers.

I chose these Eminence's because I liked the way my open back Avatar 212 (Vin30 and G12H30) sounded, and I wanted to try out Eminence's equivalents. I've never had Eminences before.

But back to the original title.

Have you ever detuned a cabinet? Do you think this will help my 4X12 get that open and full tone that my 2X12 has ?

• Members
Originally posted by Gravity

I have a 4X12 Hiwatt with Celestion G12T-75 speakers that I have grown sick of.

I just ordered a Governor and a Wizard from AvatarSpeakers and I'm going to pull all 4 Celestions and just replace the top two holes with the new Eminence drivers.

I chose these Eminence's because I liked the way my open back Avatar 212 (Vin30 and G12H30) sounded, and I wanted to try out Eminence's equivalents. I've never had Eminences before.

But back to the original title.

Have you ever detuned a cabinet? Do you think this will help my 4X12 get that open and full tone that my 2X12 has ?

Are you just talking about adding a port(s) to the cab?

• Members

no no no .... :D

The intention is not to get a whole lot of unneeded bass response from the cab.

The idea is to get an open backed sound out of a closed back cabinet, without having to make a new back panel.

Another added advantage, for me anyway, is that the Db's won't be quite as high pushing only two speakers compared to four.

So no one's tried this ?

• Members

no no no ....
:D

The intention is not to get a whole lot of unneeded bass response from the cab.

The idea is to get an open backed sound out of a closed back cabinet, without having to make a new back panel.

Another added advantage, for me anyway, is that the Db's won't be quite as high pushing only two speakers compared to four.

So no one's tried this ?

I use a closed back because I want a closed-back tone as well as the tighter dispersion pattern. Why would I sabotage that? If I wanted an open back tone,I'd just take the back off the cab.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I use a closed back because I want a closed-back tone as well as the tighter dispersion pattern. Why would I sabotage that? If I wanted an open back tone,I'd just take the back off the cab.

well, then you wouldn't try this now would you?:freak:

• Members

well, then you wouldn't try this now would you?
:freak:

Well,you wanted to know. Explain to me why,if you are looking for an open-back tone,you would butcher your front baffle and eliminate 1/2 of the cab's capability when you could simply take the back off?

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Well,you wanted to know. Explain to me why,if you are looking for an open-back tone,you would butcher your front baffle and eliminate 1/2 of the cab's capability when you could simply take the back off?

I'm not altering the baffel at all. I'm just going to run 2 speakers up top and leave two open speaker holes on the bottom.

I'm hesitant to just remove the back panel because the cab most likely would not be as stable.

It's just something that I'm going to experiment with to see if I dig the tone. I remember reading about it on London Power a while ago and finally decided to give it a go.

The tone I like is big, round, full crunch, and it seems like this should do the trick.

I also just wanted to know if anyone else has experimented with this idea before.

Archived