OT/ Local cafe invaded by hipsters

jskpongoui

• Members

This debate reminds me of the movie "The Outsider" with that us vs them attitudes...:) Things are the same in every generations just different hair/fashion/belief..Everyone want to be different and attention and to be notice. I graduated HS in '87 and it was a blast, everyone hanging out in different parts of the school. We got Stoners, Jocks, Skaters, NewWaver/Punk Rocker, Nerds/Geeks, JROTC crews and we all bagging on each others all the time. The stoners got bagged on frequently even from the teachers and the funny part is at the end of the day you see most of the groups listed above wandered to the stoner territory to score some good weed LOL

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not hip at all.

Whether you're hip or not is unrelated to whether you're a hipster (in DC).

Hipsters here desperately want people to know how cool they are.

People who are truly hip lack this need.

Also, people who listen to, share, and in some cases even promote music off the mainstream are not "hipsters", per se. Such individuals are not hipsters - they simply "are". They are too busy having lives to care if anybody thinks they are cool or not.

• Members
I wear those with socks that go above the ankles.

and they're blue

:lol:

Well, there's only one thing to say about that.

You're doing it wrong !

;)

We wore those on a trip to Iowa in about 1978. The locals couldn't understand why we were wearing "boatin' shooz". The lack of socks confused them even farther. Obviously, they didn't realize how cool we were.....

• Members
Well, there's only one thing to say about that.

You're doing it wrong !

;)

We wore those on a trip to Iowa in about 1978. The locals couldn't understand why we were wearing "boatin' shooz". The lack of socks confused them even farther. Obviously, they didn't realize how cool we were.....

I prefer socks, otherwise I get blisters :cool:

• Members

Whether you're hip or not is unrelated to whether you're a hipster (in DC).

Ah. Well I never heard the term "hipster" being applied to non-hip people too. Or something.

At least I don't need to let people know how cool I am. They can appreciate me for who I am and otherwise they can kiss my ass.

• Members

When I was in school, these were the shoes of choice. Mind you, they had to be worn with no socks.

Aw, man. "Topsiders" were the rage in my time. Basically leather versions of those you pictured, and, yes, socks were strictly forbidden unless you wanted to be uncool.

Also cool in my time: Members Only, Izod, skinny ties, Ray Bans, Ocean Pacific.

/dating myself

Archived