• Last Reply
  • Members

In my high school days (78-82) we had the following groups:

Burnouts (aka "heads")
Jocks
Nerds
Band/Orch/Choir geeks
Preppies

We didnt have any "hipsters". It was between movements: too far from the 60s yet to soon before the 90s. The movie "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" was an excellent portrayal of those years. We even had the girls who dressed like Pat Benatar.:lol:

• Members
the girl was wearing soooo many kandie things or wahtever you call them...

4909RAVE_OLOUNGE-1.jpg

i feel KSS has needed a thread like this for a long time.

those are just bead bracelets, you just make 'em urself from the $9 kits you get a places like Target.
hip1.jpg

part of your comprehensive cheap bracelets.
hip3.jpg

which should ideally coordinate with the loudest-colored 1980s design shoes u got.
hip2.jpg

• Members
In my high school days (78-82) we had the following groups:

Burnouts (aka "heads")

Jocks

Nerds

Band/Orch/Choir geeks

Preppies

We didnt have any "hipsters". It was between movements: too far from the 60s yet to soon before the 90s. The movie "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" was an excellent portrayal of those years. We even had the girls who dressed like Pat Benatar.
:lol:

We had

* Dopers
* Jocks
* Preppies
* Brains
* Musicians
* Ordinary kids that fit no classification and who I can't remember when I read their name or see their photo in the yearbook
* Drool Products (lowest form of greasy geeks and/or dopers)

At my high school there was a lot of mixing between the jocks, brains, preppies, and musicians. I have been told by my parents that mine was an unusual class though - record number of 5's on AP exams and whatnot.

• Members
We seriously can't have an intelligent conversation about this. A hipster can be one of two things:

1. Somebody who is less likely to subscribe to mainstream music, film, clothing styles, etc.

2. Somebody who dresses like the generalization of the above.

We clearly are talking about definition two. Somebody who fits definition one will not want to be called a hipster
:idea:

I've had this conversation with my friends so many times.

Lemme add a little:

A hipster can be in the eye of the beholder.

I've met many people who dress outside the mainstream because they really don't have the self confidence to dress fashionably.

I've met people who dress out there simply because it's FUN.

Then I've met people who dress a way because they are part of ______________ [you fill in the blank] and anyone who isn't, sucks. Or they are better than you because you don't have the money or fashion sense to dress like they.

Those are the only ones that I want to resent. But I've found them in smaller numbers than the other two categories.

I get resentful as hell when I have to deal with the new hipsters and emo kids. And I'm in a line of work where I have to deal with a lot of disenfranchised youth who dress for their tribe. Something about them ticks me off. But I have to remind myself that most of these kids are not self-aware trust fund babies. They do it because they want to have fun or are so scared that they dress for their tribe. Then I think about it and what the {censored}, how different are the tight pants/eyeliner/silly hair types today from the glam kids that I sometimes {censored}ing worshiped when I was young?

In fact, the only people who I still hate to this day are the second generation "ironic" Spaceland Silverlake bastards who put on the thick black plastic glasses, bad haircuts and dorky clothes. They didn't have to. They did because it was cool to be geeky and awkward. I knew a lot of these {censored}ers and they were the same bastards who gave me {censored} and my friend's {censored} ten years before then because we didn't have any choice but to dress like that.

{censored} them all to death.

So, get over it. Get to know the people dressing up. You may find that they are decent fun loving young men and women who aren't really feeling superior.

Then diss them for their lousy tastes in music.:p

• Members
those shoes are right out of 1992, think clear and neon evertything like crystal pepsi, clean phones, walkmen, neon graphic painjobs on cars and airburshed onto jeans jackets... splatter paint.. *shiver* what a way to start a decade..

when i think 1992, i think:
23060_lg.jpg

• Members

oh contraire monfraier .. if grunge or alternative was your persuasion.. but under all that flannel was fruit loops colored world full of rap, RnB and hair metal. really it all was around 89-93. sort of the death throws of the 80's, but not the 80's proper.

• Members

oh contraire monfraier .. if grunge or alternative was your persuasion.. but under all that flannel was fruit loops colored world full of rap, RnB and hair metal. really it all was around 89-93. sort of the death throws of the 80's, but not the 80's proper.

One night in 1998-1999 a friend of mine took me to a club in the San Fernando Valley to see a friend of hers play.

It was poodle hair and blush for both men and women. Green and pink tiger striped tights were the legwear of choice. As were mid-riffs that should not have been worn from at least 1989 [shudder].

I never liked Sunset strip hair metal but I honestly sincerely elated that there were people keeping it old school like that. It was pure un-ironic fun.

• Members

You know what, when I was in junior high school and high school from 1977-1983, a look of choice for a significant portion of the class was jeans, a t-shirt, a flannel worn open over the t-shirt, and hiking boots. It was the choice of clothing for just about every doper, drool product, and non-jockey kid trying to look cool. Later on sneakers of various types replaced the hiking boots and rich kids started wearing Timberland boots instead of the cheap but tough Sears boots worn by most of the kids. Wife and I used to joke around about how 90's grunge was the standard doper uniform of the Rochester, NY area in the late 70's and early 80's. Today you can probably still see people dressed like that around local carnival beer tents.

• Members

I know. but 1991 was the peak year for day-glow wacky acid dance music. Kurt Kobain really crushed it in america. No kids really listen to hi-energy dance music after that. Dance went down in tempo. (for the 9-14 year olds) West Coast gansta, Ace of Base, etc.

1991 !!
In another version of this video, a member is wearing a shirt that says 1991 ;)
Bizarre Inc "Playing with Knives"
cw1vd9o1uM0
Altern 8 "Activ 8"
mKyt4XwaAG0
2 Unlimited at the very end for some reason.

• Members

You know what, when I was in junior high school and high school from 1977-1983, a look of choice for a significant portion of the class was jeans, a t-shirt, a flannel worn open over the t-shirt, and hiking boots. It was the choice of clothing for just about every doper, drool product, and non-jockey kid trying to look cool.

HA! Yup, this was the uniform all right, except in my school we didnt wear boots, just sneakers.

• Members

You know what, when I was in junior high school and high school from 1977-1983, a look of choice for a significant portion of the class was jeans, a t-shirt, a flannel worn open over the t-shirt, and hiking boots. It was the choice of clothing for just about every doper, drool product, and non-jockey kid trying to look cool. Later on sneakers of various types replaced the hiking boots and rich kids started wearing Timberland boots instead of the cheap but tough Sears boots worn by most of the kids. Wife and I used to joke around about how 90's grunge was the standard doper uniform of the Rochester, NY area in the late 70's and early 80's. Today you can probably still see people dressed like that around local carnival beer tents.

yea don't forget the trucker hats, mullets, trans ams, novas, ace combs, jackets from kmart and i seem to remember allot of those rolling stones lips and tongue stickers everywhere. oh god and they wouldn't stop playing that "centerfold" song on the radio :mad: otherwise upstate rules :D

• Members
yea don't forget the trucker hats, mullets, trans ams, novas, ace combs, jackets from kmart and i seem to remember allot of those rolling stones lips and tongue stickers everywhere. oh god and they wouldn't stop playing that "centerfold" song on the radio
:mad:
otherwise upstate rules
:D

They weren't "mullets" back then, they were "punk".:lol:

I went to high school in Youngstown OH. The big band was the Michael Stanley Band, unknown to the rest of the world but huge in OH. My senior year, all the girls were into the Go-Gos.:lol: I was into Bartok.:confused:

Archived