How would you sell an antique Steinway?

• Members

I have some extended family that have to move and won't have room for their piano. It's a turn-of-the-century baby grand Steinway in good condition. I played it once, it was lovely. It's got a fairly ornate carved cabinet, I'm guessing it's about 5-1/2 feet or so. All the key ivories are intact.

If this was yours, how wold you sell it? Ebay? Craig's List? Is there a better venue for something like this?

I've requested pictures and measurements so I'll post 'em for you piano junkies to ogle over. The shame here is that none of them play. It sits, silent and unloved, little more than a piece of furniture. :( I'd take it, but I've already got a piano.

• Members

I have some extended family that have to move and won't have room for their piano. It's a turn-of-the-century baby grand Steinway in good condition. I played it once, it was lovely. It's got a fairly ornate carved cabinet, I'm guessing it's about 5-1/2 feet or so. All the key ivories are intact.

If this was yours, how wold you sell it? Ebay? Craig's List? Is there a better venue for something like this?

I've requested pictures and measurements so I'll post 'em for you piano junkies to ogle over. The shame here is that none of them play. It sits, silent and unloved, little more than a piece of furniture.
:(
I'd take it, but I've already got a piano.

have a good piano tech tune it & evaluate its condition, they usually have a ton of insights. you should really have a high-end piano like that tuned regularly anyways, you dont want to sell something so price-y without bringing it to prime condition.

• Members

have a good piano tech tune it & evaluate its condition, they usually have a ton of insights. you should really have a high-end piano like that tuned regularly anyways, you dont want to sell something so price-y without bringing it to prime condition.

I agree. Spend a couple of hundred dollars to find out if the piano is worth keeping versus the piano that you have now. Also do some research yourself. It may be very well worth the effort in the long run. Either way a tech needs to look at the piano. An appraiser may be different than a tech though a really good tech will know. My office buddy hired a consultant to help find his Steinway Grand and then his technician (a well-known local guy) offered him about 2X what he paid for it right on the spot which was more than the price for a similarly-sized new Steinway. I guess he lucked out and got a piano that was made at a "right" time (for various technical reasons involving materials and construction techniques that he told me about but I can't remember now). The piano came from an older Mormon couple and had been used for lessons and practice for their children. Part of the deal was that my office buddy had to send them a picture so that they would be sure the piano was going to a family and not for commercial purposes. It was a little weird but well worth it.

Edit - I just talked to my office buddy and it was not a consultant but a wholesaler that he used to get his piano. He had the technician look at it after he bought it. He also did quite a bit of research on his own.

• Members

My tech also restores old pianos and does appraisals. His appraisals don't come cheap, though. When I talked about selling my piano, he offered to sell it for me, but he would take a commission, something like 10% (on a $10,000- 15,000 sale). His appraisals are thorough, including research into the history of the piano, and his reputation is untarnished and widely known in Vermont. He comes in contact with a lot of potential buyers who trust him. I didn't take him up on the offer.

I tried Craigslist for a little while, showed the piano to a couple of people, but didn't find any takers. $12,000 is a hard sell around here. I stopped trying, put some work and money into regulating the action, and called it good.

Still, if I could get my hands on a nice Steinway with ivory keys, I would make room for it. I like those ivories.

• Members

What's an AFM?

American Federation of Musicians, aka the Union. Some of them might have a bulletin board or something to put an ad up.

A college music dept might have 100 pianos or more. Every teacher will have one in their studio (even if they don't use them), half the practice rooms will have one, there's a piano every five feet.

Archived