Love for the Alpha Juno/MKS-50

augerinn

• Members

Fired the J2 up last night and started just flippen through the presets.

There is something special about this synth. It can be SOOOO inspiring. Even just using the dreaded presets. "Fast Strings" is a classic poly patch.

And, many patches (Horns, Guitar) really have a bark and a bite in the lower register. Using the velocity on patches like "Sequneced Bass" can have very gratifying results.

I keep thinking I like it cuz I owned one in the 8os and it was my first synth, but no, these things are really cool, and I'm glad I have them in my collection.

• Members

I actually just got an MKS-50. I'd like to find a rack mountable and programmable knob or slider box to put in the midi channel as a dedicated editor.

I see them out there, but I can't find one that is built now that you can put in a rack. I mostly just want some knobs that I could program to control the filter.

• Members

I have the Juno 1 and an MKS-50. I'd like to trade the Juno1 for a Juno 2 because of the 61 note, velocity/aftertouch sensitive keyboard. I really like the sound of these units. I have other Roland polys of the era (JX-10 and Juno-106), but the Alpha Juno is a unique piece that is always somehow immeditately gratifying. I love the Juno 1 for it's small size. I like to use it as a monophonic lead/bass synth (ala cheaper SH-2), but it does most things quite well.

The MKS-50 has alot of great performance features that the other two models don't have. You can save pitch bend, portamento time, mono/poly settings, transpose, etc per patch. It's very useful if you have certain sounds you always play in mono mode and others you play in poly mode. You don't have to manually change that each time you dial up a new sound.

The PG-300 is very much worth the purchase to complete the Alpha Juno experience. A Juno 1 and the PG-300 take about the same footprint as a standard 61 note keyboard. There is also a software emulation for the PG-300 that works great and adds a random patch generator and a cool little arpeggiator. Much love for the Alpha Juno/MKS-50!

• Members

Nice demo, bruto.

I like the Ju 1, too. Recently we made an 80ies synth pop track and the little grey plastic box is great for that with it 's factory presets from 1986 :)

But it's great for different styles, too.

BTW, realtime controlling it with a Behringer BCR2000 works very fine and is a lot of fun.

Archived