Hammond experts: Leslie 760 question

Tomkeen

• Members

Hi all,

There is a leslie 760 for sale just a few miles away from where I live. My kurzweil pc3x's leslie simulation is not up to par and I don't want to buy another keyboard.. I'd like to know if I can plug the output of my kurz straight into the 760, or if I would need to use a preamp.

Also, for the same price (

• Members

There's a topic on Sonikmatter about that. It's not that easy, apparently:

http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43814-can-the-pc3x-be-played-through-a-leslie-122/

Better advice: get a H&K Rotosphere, and route all your KB3 patches through individual output, which gets through the Rotosphere. You'll also save DSP resources that way.

• Members

Thanks ed!

I read that topic a while back, just thought that maybe the 760 had a preamp built in or something.. Too bad.

About the Rotosphere, that thing is expensive as hell... cheapest I found is 400 euros, and that's a bit too much for a simulator imo. I cannot even find demos of a hammond played through it, so I'm not even sure if I'll like it..

• Members

You might need an impendance matcher, I dunno. Kurzweil's individual outputs are probably line level, while Leslie's inputs are probably not line level (since I've read that 760 has inputs that are matched for combo organs and guitars -> guitars have lower level than line).

• Members

Better advice: (...).

Sorry, but maybe that;s not so better...

However, you can get the leslie combo preamp pedal that goes with the pro-line series 9-pin leslies and your clone will sound so much more amazing than you have ever imagined through that 760. Not to mention how much double louder than a guitar it will be.

buy it fool.

• Members

A 760 for 350 Euros? And you're not running as fast as you can to get it why? That's $502 US equivalent....if it's reasonably clean and in good working shape, that's a steal! Even if you have to wait a while to get the Trek II or 9-pin Combo Preamp, you have the spinny. A 760 is a great Leslie.

• Members

Thanks for the input guys. :)

I can't seem to find that Trek preamp though, at least nowhere in Europe.. Maybe I'll find some more info on that later on, but if it's only available in the US I think I'll try and snatch that Motion Sound Pro3x.

• Members

you can rig up something to use the Kurzweil with the 760 in like 20 minutes if you know what you're doing.

you're in the netherlands ... i wonder how close you are to Captain Foldback.

also: no leslie simulator is like a real leslie. not even close. it might be a great chorus sound with adjustable speed, but it's not even a simulated leslie.

• Members

Thanks guys :)

I kind of decided to wait a bit, save up some more money and look for a solution in a while. I might get me a hammond XK1 instead, dunno yet.. I have a pretty big gig in november, so I want/need better hammond sounds than the kurz offers before that time.

• Members

The 760 is a good find, but you'll need a preamp pedal for it which might cost nearly as much as the leslie itself.

The motion sound is a decent alternative. Small, light, and you can plug right into it. I used one for a long time, it was the next best thing to a full leslie. You are moving air with it and that's a big part of the leslie sound.

Archived