Greatest and most affordable, all-around general 80's synth?

rlm297

• Members

What is the greatest and most affordable, all-around general 80's synth?

I'm bored with double-tracking guitars and panning one Left and the other Right, and then doing overdubs to completion.

Just looking for something that will add a different "spice" to my mixes. A different palette to work with, so to speak.

Something that can do "leads" and backing "atmospherics."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Leads and atmospheres from an 80s synth? Hmmmmm

Almost certainly, the best 80s synth for both would be an Oberheim OB-X, OB-Xa, or OB-8. The OB-X is somewhat rare, but sounds excellent. It was used throughout the 80s on many recordings. The OB-Xa and OB-8 are very similar to each other and not too different from the OB-X.

None of these OBs are cheap however. A good used OB-8 will get $2000 and upwards. The OB-Xa is a little higher, and the OB-X can easily top $4000 (if you can even find one.)

Another good all around 80s synth is the Roland JX-8P. Not as punchy and an Oberheim, but very rich sounding. They are quite a bit cheaper too - there's one on eBay right now with a BIN of $350.

• Members

I thought the Kawai K1 that came out in 1988 was an overlooked and under-rated synth. It had some great pads and atmospheric sounds, as well as a good variety of everything else. The K4 that came out after that was even better. You can find them pretty cheap in the used market. I also liked the Roland D-50 a lot.

• Members

Leads and atmospheres from an 80s synth? Hmmmmm

Another good all around 80s synth is the Roland JX-8P. Not as punchy and an Oberheim, but very rich sounding. They are quite a bit cheaper too - there's one on eBay right now with a BIN of $350.

I have one of those (JX-8P)and it not one of my go to synth. It does has a good charter and I use it often.....

now I really like the tx7 (12 bit)...gritty and dirty crystal sounds...good for pads/atmospher and pretty cheap but you have to hook them up to a computer with a librian to be able to really use....and it is very hard to really be able to program FM synth stuff.....

for around $500 you could get an Alesis ION...not as punchy or thick as some analoge synths but, it is very nice (for the price) a lot of great programing options....sometimes I run my ION through a EH LBTube to give it a bit more wramth.....for a VA the higher notes sound pretty smooth....

also, a used roland JP8000 would be nice...that is one on my go to synths for textural type sounds...evolving leads and more...Ozric Tentacles use one a lot

• Members

Korg DW-8000

I have to agree.

I joined a synth meet-up group to explore different types of music (experimental in the style of Kraftwerk/Tangerine Dream) outside the context of the band I was then currently playing with.

I brought my DW-8000 and hooked it up to an old laptop for real-time tweaking,and received many compliments on the sounds I was getting,from guys playing some really nice gear,Moog Voyager,Nord Lead 2,Waldorf Q,etc.,etc.

paid $140 for the Korg,laptop was free. :thu:

• Members

Korg DW-8000

+1..ops

+2

As said 1 ca-zillian times before a much under-rated bag of noises.

Im often astounded by what people can program on them sometimes. Back in the day, I saw them as Poly800s slightly bigger brother. Very bad approximation :facepalm:

Archived