Greatest and most affordable, all-around general 80's synth?

rlm297

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most of the recomendations here are dumb. No reason to buy old limited junk when any modern currently in production synth can do 80's sounds just fine and you don't have to worry about it braking and you wont outgrow it in a month.

• Members

Poly800

Thanks, there goes about 5 years of therapy. Breath deep, get in happy place....

Do you have access to outboard/computer effects, reverb at least? (I assume so). If not, keep in mind all those old synths are dry as a bone.

• Members

Thanks, there goes about 5 years of therapy. Breath deep, get in happy place....

Do you have access to outboard/computer effects, reverb at least? (I assume so). If not, keep in mind all those old synths are dry as a bone.

I use my Juno 60 and Juno 2 routinely without FX. The Chorus (with a capital C) adds a lot depth and warmth.

That said, when I run them through a little reverb, they really come alive. Delay works wonders too with leads.

Poly 8 ? I wanna like it, I really do. I've owned several, and flipped 1/2 dozen of 'em (Including the EX). But yeah, dry. It has it's moments, however, just nothing jaw dropping.

Haven't tried the DW, but heard all sorts of good things.

I HAVE owned an ESQ-1, and regret letting it go. I didn't know squat about synthesis at the time. I'm currently running the SQ8L VSTi, and that piece of software is phenomenal !

• Members

You say "keep in mind" to the guy that has been here for years and has a fair amount of synth knowledge.

Just found it funny, sorry.

Ah. The "keep in mind" was not to Flat Earth, it was to the OP. I was just also responding to Flat Earth mentioning the Poly 800, which was a board that I used to have; I repressed the memory.

In any event, it certainly wasn't meant to be condescending at all. Apologies to anyone who thought so, just pointing out something that used to bug me about my own synths back in the 80s (lack of effects).

• Members

FWIW: 80's synths are dying. I see them all the time - somebody got a great deal (they thought) only to find out the batteries in the synth died and leaked acid all over the internal boards, the batteries in those ROM/RAM cards are suffering the same fate, even transistors and simple parts are becoming obsolete. Old synths are liabilities.

• Members

FWIW: 80's synths are dying. I see them all the time - somebody got a great deal (they thought) only to find out the batteries in the synth died and leaked acid all over the internal boards, the batteries in those ROM/RAM cards are suffering the same fate, even transistors and simple parts are becoming obsolete. Old synths are liabilities.

Oh come on!, If it weren't for them, HC KSS would implode. We'd have nothing to post or moan about :lol:

• Members

So I hope we've answered your question. The perfect 80s synth is a:

Yamaha DX7 midied to a Korg EX8000 daisy chained to a Roland MKS-80 with the MPG 80 controller, with an Oberheim OB-Xa, Juno 60, and a Sequential Circuits Pro One on the second rack right next to your Ensoniq ESQ-1, Roland D-50, Yamaha SY-77 rack. ..... That should do it - unless of course you want to add a drum machine or two. In that case you'll need a ...

• Members

Since the question was about all-round 80's synth, I might add that in 80's there was no all round synth in 80's... which means good synth engine, good synth sound, good orchestral sound, sequencer...

... except for M1/T3, but... quite limited in specs. You have to take some real compromises in your choice in terms of polyphony, effect section, etc.

Archived