Any thoughts about this photo

dinnerpianist

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe, but... it seems sad to avoid playing a piano for fear of wearing it out. That's what they're for! It's like having an expensive sport car, but only driving it a few times a year because you don't want to wear it out. Tsk.

So you have a Lola and you want to drive it daily on a dirt road for errands instead of in a race on a good track? The B is a performance instrument not a practice device. Technical work shouldn't have to be done on the actual performance piano. I find the balance between the controller and the piano for performance a good mix. I know what the B can deliver and save it for the actual delivery- I spare it from the grind work. Others may say there is no "grind" work when you are involved in music but I'll have to assume they haven't had to work on truly difficult repertoire in a quite exhausting manner. A guy can prepare for the olympics in a lap practice pool and still do well when he dives into that 50 meter tank.

• Members
So you have a Lola and you want to drive it daily on a dirt road for errands instead of in a race on a good track? The B is a performance instrument not a practice device.

Bad comparison. What type of car do Formula 1 drivers use practicing before their big race?

(Hint: It's not a Toyota Camry. :wave: )

• Members

The grands you see for soloists on stage at symphonic concerts get very little use other than for concert bookings..

Well, let's put that in perspective:

a soloist has 2 rehearsals with orchestra, and most major orchs. perform each concert 3 times. In addition, the soloist will have several hours alone in the hall to get used to the piano. Right there, thats more playing than you're average home player might do in several months.

A major orch will have 10-12 pianists a year. In addition, it will be used for orchestra pieces that have piano like Petrushka. If someone like a cellist is performing, he will run through the concerto with a piano accomp. on stage for the conductor. The piano will be used for choir rehearsals when they are held in the symphony hall.

Put all that together and its more playing in one year than a lot of people will do their entire lives.

• Members

a soloist has 2 rehearsals with orchestra, and most major orchs. perform each concert 3 times. In addition, the soloist will have several hours alone in the hall to get used to the piano. Right there, thats more playing than you're average home player might do in several months.

A major orch will have 10-12 pianists a year. In addition, it will be used for orchestra pieces that have piano like Petrushka. If someone like a cellist is performing, he will run through the concerto with a piano accomp. on stage for the conductor. The piano will be used for choir rehearsals when they are held in the symphony hall.

Put all that together and its more playing in one year than a lot of people will do their entire lives.

I'm not talking amateur playing but two professionals using the piano. That piano which is on stage is also being voiced, tuned, with minor regulations and finely adjusted. The hammers will wear perfectly since the shanks will not be warped or allowed to compromise the hammer strike. A concert grand for a concert hall is extremely well maintained- like having the oil changed at 1000 miles and plugs cleaned and gapped every 500 miles. Amateurs rarely care for their instruments- they don't keep them spotless. Dust gathers on the hammers, strings etc. they probably let them get too dry in the summer and too moist in the winter. And! as mentioned a piano can "age" badly if it is not played regularly.

• Members

The concert hall will have its own grand- maybe even a Bosendorfer. Most travelling artists who get the prize bookings will opt for a different piano. The "house" piano may be fine but many pick their own grand from boutique suppliers in the big cities. And some soloists (not chamber pianists) in the top tier tour with their own keys!

• Members
I'm not talking amateur playing but two professionals using the piano.

Hmm? Cygnus is talking about pros.

Now, I'm not good enough to the point where I should care a whole lot about piano feel. :)

But, if someone asked me to do an acoustic piano piece, of course I would practice on my upright -- *not* on electronic pianos! I'd want to get as close an environment to what I'm playing on as I practically can, so that I can get the expression and nuances right.

I personally could not stand using a noiseless keyboard for anything other than technical exercises. I'm too dependent on my ear when playing.

That's just me -- YMMV, etc. But I suspect that some players far better than me are, if anything, *more* sensitive to piano differences. (In other words, I can totally buy Cygnus's notion that a professional soloist is given some time with the piano to get used to it.)

• Members
You are misinformed.

I've been doing it all my life.;)

The concert hall will have its own grand- maybe even a Bosendorfer. Most travelling artists who get the prize bookings will opt for a different piano. The "house" piano may be fine but many pick their own grand from boutique suppliers in the big cities. And some soloists (not chamber pianists) in the top tier tour with their own keys!

This is just not true. There may a handful of pianists in the world who do this, Kristian Zimmerman is an example. The rest play on the instrument in the hall with very few exceptions. I played with Andre Watts using a spinet for a Rachmaninoff Concerto, I'm not making that up. It was at Rocky Mount High School with the NC Symphony.

I've played with practically every major pianist of today, from Garrick Ollson to Van Cliburn and Askenazy and most Cliburn winners. They used the stock piano.

A concert grand for a concert hall is extremely well maintained- like having the oil changed at 1000 miles and plugs cleaned and gapped every 500 miles.

Maintained is one thing, abused is another. Most halls keep the piano backstage, where people move the "Dont put your cases here" sign off of the piano to put their cases.:lol: I know that for a fact 'cause I do it all the time! Only a few halls have "cages" for the pianos, it's just too cramped back stage. People spill drinks on em, sit on em, you name it.

Keep in mind how many times these pianos are moved. Basically daily. I saw one collapse because the legs werent attached properly, the entire piano fell and sounded like a bomb dropped. That same piano was used for the next 4 years by every single pianist, some very big stars. I only recall one pianist, Ruth Laredo, having a piano brought in (for free) by Yamaha.
P

• Members

DinnerPianist,

I did some googling about "mute keyboards" and discovered the name of a company that made them: Virgil Practice Clavier Co. (New York).

Google that name to learn more about it:)

I searched for pictures but I couldn't find any the size of the ones seen on the photo your posted.

• Members

Can I just ask...what is the {censored}ing original purpose behind posting this? It seems like an exercise in mental masturbation.

And can I just ask...what is the {censored}ing original purpose behind posting this?

You didn't have to read this thread. Once you started you didn't have to finish reading it. The picture involves keys. This is KSS.

It's more relevant than some of the other threads. Ideas for practising when away from the real thing are of interest to some, including myself.

• Members

Oh. okay, my bad.

thanks for reminding me that this is KSS. I had forgotten.

And can I just ask...what is the {censored}ing original purpose behind posting this?

You didn't have to read this thread. Once you started you didn't have to finish reading it. The picture involves keys. This is KSS.

It's more relevant than some of the other threads. Ideas for practising when away from the real thing are of interest to some, including myself.

• Members

DinnerPianist,

I did some googling about "mute keyboards" and discovered the name of a company that made them: Virgil Practice Clavier Co. (New York).

Google that name to learn more about it:)

I searched for pictures but I couldn't find any the size of the ones seen on the photo your posted.

Thanks for your interest. I can understand someone being annoyed at having a picture posted of a modern keyboard lab at a high school but the picture I posted was from way back and tweaked my interest. I wondered if the small units were custom electronic organs or just a section of a keyboard action. It seems my posts are attacked by those who want others to know what musical equipment they own and treasure. I always wince when someone lists what they own. I feel badly for them.

• Members

Thats cool if you feel like that, but my gear is there because I ask questions pertaining to my synth rig and it keeps me from having to say I have this and this and this. It keeps the other some of other participants on this board from from getting on my case for asking a question that is too vague and not giving enough details. I thought it was standard protocol. However in an effort preclude some board participants from getting on my case for not listing my gear (and they have), I have annoyed a condescending participant of the board. My bad.

As evidence as to why I have my gear in my sig there is this quote on "READ THIS THREAD FIRST" thread.

"Don't ask to ask, don't say "HELP!" don't ask "Question..." - state your question clearly and in a concise way in the title of your topic. If you need help picking a digital piano for around $1000, ask "Which digital piano for around $1000" instead of "I'm wondering...". The former's good and gives you good answers, the latter is useless. Big load of bonus points if you've already visited a few music stores and looked at certain models, because this tells us you're not afraid to find information yourself.

Quote:

If you are a junior member won't you necessarily ask some pretty basic questions?

Yes. The first questions for anyone posting topics like "complete beginner" is:

- show us what you already have (e.g. nothing at all, a computer, basic keyboard)

- tell us what you already know (you know nothing, you play a little guitar, you DJ, etc.)

- tell us what you're willing to spend

- tell us which direction you want to go (e.g. playing live, sounding like artist x, how to expand studio)"

Thanks for your interest. I can understand someone being annoyed at having a picture posted of a modern keyboard lab at a high school but the picture I posted was from way back and tweaked my interest. I wondered if the small units were custom electronic organs or just a section of a keyboard action. It seems my posts are attacked by those who want others to know what musical equipment they own and treasure. I always wince when someone lists what they own. I feel badly for them.

Archived