Mystery new korg thang: ''The New Wave Is Coming''

Nismology

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
32GB of samples instantly accessible on the 404SX is pretty nuts tho'.
:eek:

That's just marketing and apparantly it succeeds at fooling people. The SP-404SX only allows for 120 samples at a time. You can have 12 back-ups on a card though (of 120 samples each) but you can't load more than one back-up at a time.

• Members
That's just marketing and apparantly it succeeds at fooling people. The SP-404SX only allows for 120 samples at a time.

Of course, 10 banks of 12 samples, just like the 404.

You can have 12 back-ups on a card though (of 120 samples each) but you can't load more than one back-up at a time.

Sure, but assuming their SDHC spec is the same as the R-09HR, a single mono sample can be up to six hours long (2GB, which is a FAT32 limitation, I believe), so you're talking 120 uncompressed samples that are each... uh... 48 minutes long? With almost no load time?

But you can't pitch a sample across the keyboard, so I'm torn. :confused:

• Members

Of course, 10 banks of 12 samples, just like the 404.Sure, but assuming their SDHC spec is the same as the R-09HR, a single mono sample can be up to
six hours
long (2GB, which is a FAT32 limitation, I believe), so you're talking 120 uncompressed samples that are each... uh... 48 minutes long? With almost no load time?

Who uses 48-minute samples??? 32GB SD compatibiliy is still no argument to buy a 404.

• Members
Who uses 48-minute samples??? 32GB SD compatibiliy is still no argument to buy a 404.

The unit can double as a portable recorder.

It is not just aimed at music, and I guess not all will be buying the largest memory for the sake of it as it must cost.

It is what it is.

:wave:

• Members

Sure, but having access to 1,440 samples that are each 4 minutes long kinda is, even if you do have to spend the ten seconds it takes to switch between backups.

Be honest. No one would use 1,440 4-minute samples. However, 2GB or 4GB cards are cheap these days and that's still a ton of samples (1,440 samples of each 15 or 30 seconds long respectively). The SD-card is easy to replace, so you could buy 2 and have twice the amount of samples. Now that's a good argument and I'm even thinking of buying one now.

• Members

Be honest. No one would use 1,440 4-minute samples. However, 2GB or 4GB cards are cheap these days and that's still a ton of samples (1,440 samples of each 15 or 30 seconds long respectively). Now that's a good argument and I'm already thinking of buying a 404SX.

No, you're right. There aren't too many musicians who need 4-minute samples, but the 404 is pretty cool for radio stations, ambient musicians, installs, amusement parks, DJs, backing tracks for rock bands, that sort of thing.

There is one huge advantage to supporting 32GB SDHC cards, tho'

• Members

I made this:

xktx5i.jpg

General
1. Volume
2. Tap Tempo

Keyboard
3. Sample select
4. Keyboard
5. Loop hold
6. Sample

Pattern Sequencer
7. Pattern (values 1-16)
8. Play/Stop
9. Mute
10. Rec

Sampling
11. Sampling type (Loop, One Shot, Gate, Auto Reset, Key Gate)
12. Input Select (audio in, re-sample)
13. Sampling
14. Sample Status: Loop
15. Sample Status: Reverse
16. Sample Status: FX SW

17. ?
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?
21. ?
22. ?

23. Bank (Bank Change - Name - BPM - Audio In/FX SW - Init Bank)
24. Pattern sequencer (Length - Quantize - Delete Pattern - Swap Pattern)
25. Sampling (Rate - Mono/Stereo - Trigger - Time - Sampling Level - ???)
26. ?
27. ?
28. ?

• Members

Come on Korg, you've gotta be friggen out of your sushi eatin' minds.

Am I the only Korg owner that's getting really ef'in pissed off for R&D wasting time with this {censored} and refusing to update the Electribes?

microSampler? I {censored} on you. Korg, you have a micro Sampler. It's called the ESX-1. We are all waiting for the ESX-2. You know, something that actually uses modern flash instead of SmartMedia. Live samplers should have pads because most samples are one shots. I don't mind if it has a keyboard, but I do mind a lot when it doesn't have lighted velocity pads. The padKontrol is great. The Tribes are great. Just merge and update the ESX and the padKontrol.

And NO, the world does NOT need another guitar tuner from you for the next 10 years.

Gotta agree with you, I love the EMX-1 and I've been thinking about getting an ESX-1 however there have been rumours of them showing off a new electribes at one of the NAMM shows for the past year or two. Maybe NAMM 2010 lol.

• Members

The Korg looks great, but I'm a bit disappointed it's 294 samples maximum.

Now I'm curious. I can't imagine needing 294 samples at one time from a sampler. How many do you need?

I thought if you need thousands and thousands of samples at once, you skip the phrase samplers and go with Kontakt or something like that?

Archived