Mystery new korg thang: ''The New Wave Is Coming''

Nismology

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm actually surprised by the piano sound of SV-1. For a sampled piano, that is. Korg is actually starting to make better-than-decent piano sounds, which feels heart-warming to me, really :)

On the other hand... 512 MB for only 36 sounds? Of course it should sound good!

• Members

Mmmm- will be interested to see some CLEAR close ups of the front panel + vids.

The wurly and piano sounded fine to my ears - providing the rhodes sound is better than that 1 demo vid & it plays nice overall, i'll probably get this and keep my NE273 for organ/clav, instead of upgrading to the NE3 or Stage.

• Members

Are those inputs above the keys? or buttons?

(Im using a netbook at the moment, the 8.9" screen isn't the easiest to spot detail
:D
)

korg200907.jpg

Looks like leds to me, maybe they light up when a key or sequence is playing, corresponding to the notes. Looks like one for each note.

It reminds me of the LIne6 controller keyboard & USB interface. Looks cool & almost military grade. Perhaps youy can play it under water?

edit..Re: leds; -sorry, I see this has already been said.

• Members

The SV1 looks nice, but I dont like the sound of the piano in the u-tube vid, I know its only an MP3, but it still sounds too tinny & bright for my taste, for a piano. I have yet to hear a sampled or modelled acoustic piano that I like. Id still love one though. There must be some tone controls or eq on an instrument of that calibre to hone the sound of the piano etc to taste. I like a more mellow, deep piano sound. It looks really nice though.

• Members

I am so happy Korg is making that new EP and not Roland. w00t!

And it looks even better now that I can see all of it. Did they say real tubes for the EPs? I mean my XK-3c has that for the organ, but this could replace it... love all the switches and knobs and that it has a 73 key option.

The extra sounds are great too. Should really give the Electro a run.

ut I dont like the sound of the piano in the u-tube vid, I know its only an MP3

FWIW, youtube quality is pretty bad. I doubt they are doing mp3 compression inside their flash, even if they are, mp3 itself doesn't make a statement one way or the other about sound quality. Bitrate matters with all things. a 320kbps mp3 can be quite decent. Further, who knows how that was recorded.

• Members

When I first saw and heard the SV-1, I thought for sure it was intended to be Korg's Electro 3 killer. The feature list seems real similar -- all the relevant key sounds, some strings and brass, no splits or layering, 73-key version, even right down to the red paint. But at 17.5 Kg, it's almost 2X the weight of the NE3. Quite a heavy price to pay (yuk yuk) for that weighted key bed.

I'm torn now....was just about getting ready to get an NE3 73. Really interested in ultra portability (just occurred to me the other day that I'm not getting any younger -- caught me by complete surprise :)). But now I want to wait to see (and heft) the SV-1. I have to see how much that extra weight affects the lugging around.

Gack. This means I'm probably going to have to go into a Sam Ash or a Guitar Center again.

Good job, Korg marketing. Mission accomplished.

• Members
Yes,

who says it 3? they might have even more goddyness to come
:cop:

Don't tease. If there's more I could go broke (or have a heart attack due to being overwhelmed with so much awesomeness)!

God bless you Korg and all of your musical genius.

-Mc

• Members

I've never been too enthused by Korg stuff.

UNTIL NOW.

The MicroSampler is exactly what I've been looking for, for awhile now. A little thing to throw on top of my organ and trigger pitched samples. If I wanted to do this before, I'd have to get a rack Emu or something.

I hope the load time is quick.

• Members

Too bad the SV-1 doesn't have a joystick or wheels.

Yes. I'm not in the market for one - and that's a BIG reason why. I feel weird playing almost any electronic instrument without a pitch bend. I bend notes on sounds that aren't even supposed to be bent - because I want to.

Archived