AC30 Hiss

lecale

• Members

I got an AC30CC2 today, and while it sounds great, turning up the master volume causes a hiss to appear. Does that have something to do with the power tubes? The hiss goes away when working the tone cut pot. Is this something I can rectify or will I have to live with it?

• Members

You'll have to live with it.

My AC30TBR hisses like a steam train on the point of bursting - I believe it to be 'normal', and a little hiss IS normal for any valve amp. It can be reduced if the amp is a vintage type wired with flying leads with careful wiring dress and replacing bad caps. Other than that, consider it an audible supplement to the power light to tell you when your amp is ready to rock.

• Members

Oh well, it is kind of loud (not nearly overpowering the guitar loud though) but I guess I'd have to hear yours to compare. It's not too bad, but the CCs come with an effects loop. Do you think a noise gate in the loop would fix the hiss?

• Members

The hiss is in the amp, not what is being fed into it. A noise gate won't help (well, unless something in front of the amp is hissing too). Even the new version of the AC30 is still based on a vintage design. I haven't seen one yet that doesn't hiss a bit when cranked. It's still one of the coolest sounding amps ever. :thu:

Archived