my 3 day old laney Vh100R died on me!! help!

guitarist17

• Members

And of all times, when we are in the studio recording :rolleyes:

I fired up my newly acquired laney Vh100R today, and to my dismay, it didn't put out any distortion, or clean :( There is alot of background hum(almost like a ground hum i guess, and it gets louder the more i turn it up). there is hardly any volume, and on the distortion channel, there is just alittle volume, but its not distorted at all, just clean, but barely audible. Is this is a classic preamp tube problem? you guys gotta help me out! :( I bought it from music123.com, should i give them a call? I'm pissed, because i dont feel like doing return shipping and all that BS. and i don't feel i should have to fork out money for tubes. Whats the problem with my amp? thanks guys.

Chris

• Members

I had the exact same problem with a brand new Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier earlier this week. I replaced a couple of the pre-amp tubes and everyting has worked fine since.

I called Mesa on it and there sending me some new tubes as they said using another brand will void the warranty.

• Members

if you own any prior tube amps in the past . rule of thumb.....be sure to have spare pre and power tubes readily available. It may very well be a tube problem. what you can do is swipe the tubes from your 5150 and plug them in the laney..preamp tubes that is. Now another thing is take the outer power tubes from your laney and fire it up and see if you hear anything...if not? swipe the inner power tubes and see which one is the culprit..

do that for the pres as well...good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by bass_n_drums

if you own any prior tube amps in the past . rule of thumb.....be sure to have spare pre and power tubes readily available. It may very well be a tube problem. what you can do is swipe the tubes from your 5150 and plug them in the laney..preamp tubes that is. Now another thing is take the outer power tubes from your laney and fire it up and see if you hear anything...if not? swipe the inner power tubes and see which one is the culprit..

+1 always a good idea to have some spare tubes, preferabley a full set.

Make sure all the tubes are securely in the sockets, ie take them out and reinstall them. Sometimes the tubes will loosen during shipping and not back contact. If you have some new tubes you can try those.

• Members

Originally posted by bass_n_drums

I would, but I don't feel like buying 10 extra tubes, half of them ones I've never heard of.

• Members

i did exactly what you guys said to do, and with no luck :(. I took out all of the preamp tubes in my 5150, and put them in the laney, as well as a chinese preamp tube i had laying around that worked, but no luck :( . I did the same thing with power tubes in the laney, switched them around, and still no go. one problem though, when i took out one of the power amp tubes, the middle part of the tube, was "stuck" inside the socket of the amp. that circle looking thing in the middle of the tube, was pulled off the tube, and is still stuck inside one of the power tube sockets of the laney. I'm not going to try and take it out, i aint messing with that. So whats next? guess I'm gonna have to send it back? really pisses me off if i have to do that!

Chris

• Members
Originally posted by guitarist17

i did exactly what you guys said to do, and with no luck
:(
. I took out all of the preamp tubes in my 5150, and put them in the laney, as well as a chinese preamp tube i had laying around that worked, but no luck
. I did the same thing with power tubes in the laney, switched them around, and still no go. one problem though, when i took out one of the power amp tubes, the middle part of the tube, was "stuck" inside the socket of the amp. that circle looking thing in the middle of the tube, was pulled off the tube, and is still stuck inside one of the power tube sockets of the laney. I'm not going to try and take it out, i aint messing with that. So whats next? guess I'm gonna have to send it back? really pisses me off if i have to do that!

Chris

Time for a good Ol' RMA request my friend, I hope the new one will be perfect for you! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Grind Cruncher

Time for a good Ol' RMA request my friend, I hope the new one will be perfect for you!
:thu:

What a pain in the ass! Oh well, atleast I'll get another one, or maybe I'll just buy one used (if i can find one), I want one with 6l6's in it anyways.

• Members

when i took out one of the power amp tubes, the middle part of the tube, was "stuck" inside the socket of the amp.

1) That's not normal.

2) Call the merchant immediately and get an RMA# = Return of Merchandise Authorization Number

3) Send that {censored} back immediately.

More than likely, you got an amp in which someone else returned because it was {censored}ed up and M123 flipped it onto you.

MAKE THEM PAY FOR SHIPPING ON A DEFECTIVE UNIT!

Do NOT! pay for shipping.

• Members

Originally posted by Zakko

1) That's not normal.

2) Call the merchant immediately and get an RMA# = Return of Merchandise Authorization Number

3) Send that {censored} back immediately.

More than likely, you got an amp in which someone else returned because it was {censored}ed up and M123 flipped it onto you.

MAKE THEM PAY FOR SHIPPING ON A DEFECTIVE UNIT!

Do NOT! pay for shipping.

1) You're wrong, that can happen with any power tube and its not a big deal. The tube in question likely still works fine, and you can get the platic tube guide out yourself if you take the chassis out of the head shell, likely.

• Members

Originally posted by jaybird

+1. The middle part is typically just the key so the tube is probably ok. But if the fuses are good, and the tubes seem ok time to send it back.

didnt check the fuses. but, if the amp turns on, and i hear noise coming from the amp, doesnt that mean the fuses are ok? doesnt make sense to me. My bogner uberschall shut off one day in the middle of nowhere, and i couldnt get it to even turn on. turned out just to be a simple fuse problem, but I dunno if this is af use problem. I will go take a look at them though.

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by '63-Strat

1) You're wrong, that can happen with any power tube and its not a big deal. The tube in question likely still works fine, and you can get the platic tube guide out yourself if you take the chassis out of the head shell, likely.

I don't want to say I don't believe you but...

I've owned a variety of tube amps for approximately 10 years now and have NEVER had this happen to me ever. If he's got a 30 day guarantee, SEND THAT {censored} BACK.

And no. It's not normal.

• Members

I don't want to say I don't believe you but...

I've owned a variety of tube amps for approximately 10 years now and have NEVER had this happen to me ever. If he's got a 30 day guarantee, SEND THAT {censored} BACK.

Do some research :p

• Members
Originally posted by '63-Strat

Do some research
:p

note my original comment

• Members

just checked the fuses, they look fine. :(

music123 has a 45 return policy. even though my amp is "B stock" (meaning it had some blemish issues, so they sold it to me cheaper) its "guarenteed to work perfectly". and there warranty/return policy applies to gear that is labeled "b stock" so I should be ok. But still, what a pain in the ass. i think im gonna order from massmusic.net, there prices seem to be cheaper.

Chris

• Members

note my original comment

Hard to say what's causing the other problems he's talking about, but you DID comment specifiically on the tube guide breaking off.

:wave:

There was a thread on here about a product specifically made to attach to tubes that this happens to a couple days ago. I can't seem to find it though, will post a link if I do.

• Members

just checked the fuses, they look fine.

music123 has a 45 return policy. even though my amp is "B stock" (meaning it had some blemish issues, so they sold it to me cheaper) its "guarenteed to work perfectly". and there warranty/return policy applies to gear that is labeled "b stock" so I should be ok. But still, what a pain in the ass. i think im gonna order from massmusic.net, there prices seem to be cheaper.

Chris

If you return it, you will probably end up getting a brand new in box amp with no blemishes. You will be without the amp for a few weeks, but that's about it....

• Members
Originally posted by blackba

If you return it, you will probably end up getting a brand new in box amp with no blemishes. You will be without the amp for a few weeks, but that's about it....

but see, i didnt buy a new one. i bought a "b stock" item. it was cheaper(by 500 bux! :eek: ) than the new ones. I got it for 1019, they go new at music123 for about 1500. thats a 500 dollar difference. is there really a chance they will give me a new one even though i didn't pay that 1500 dollar price tag?

chris

Archived