lol craigslist Fraud, check out this email i received

harridanguitar

• Members
Originally posted by harridanguitar

"Hello Seller,I will like to buy your musical instruments which you have for sale and i will like to know the asking price and working condition of it.Hope to read from you ASAP."

-
t_moore0@yahoo.com
:rolleyes:

I gotta hand it to them though, they were on that quick, I just posted to craigslist a couple of hours ago.

I totally agree with you. They make no mention of the product at all. I have received similar emails.

• Members

Originally posted by taken

I totally agree with you. They make no mention of the product at all. I have received similar emails.

What was the email subject? A lot of times I just mention the product in the subject and not again in the email body.

• Members

Originally posted by KirkHammett1

Well, what part of this indicates its fraud? The bad english?

Yup. I get these and similar emails when I advertise on Craigslist and HC. This one just didn't have the, "I'm in the UK" bit. They will say, "I will buy your musical instruments" and you'll only have one guitar for sale (not 'instruments' plural) and/or you'll have a microphone for sale which isn't an 'instrument'. All variations on that Nigerian scam.

There was a thread over at TGP that was really funny. I wish I could find it but it looks like they disabled their search function to member use only. Anyways, one of the members posted his IM communication with one of the scammers and it was hilarious. These scammers don't even know how to read/speak English and they use online translators which don't always work correctly. This member wrote stuff like, "iwant2nowhatampuhav for saleasswhipejerkoff", and the scammer had no idea what the guy was saying, just kept saying, "what amps do you wants?".

• Members

Originally posted by Richard_S

you're kidding right?

its just one of those things you just know.

the scammers all ask that, even if the condition is clearly displayed in images and words.

plus the email address also gives it away.

some american sounding name at a yahoo account is usually scam or possibly scamola.

• Members

first of all, not a blatant fraud attempt. he never mentioned the ol "pay more than the item, then you give me back the money" line, just slaughtered english... you forget you live in america where there are close to one gajillion languages being spoken...

also , why do people feel the need to post these when they get it for the first time... I FEEL SPECIAL

• Members

One thing that I find weird about these scams is the "I send you $5000 check, you take $430 and send the rest to me back" ..who would do something like that? Why not just send a check for $430?

In any case that e-mail sounds like a scam. The way it is worded is very much like what the scammers use. The only thing missing is the "I'd like to buy your ( nice guitar ), my name is ( John Smith ) and I live in ( Irishland )" bits. I don't think anyone would refer to the seller as "Seller" either you know?

I also like how he wants to buy the musical instruments that are for sale instead of the ones that are not for sale. :D

• Members

Woops should've been more clear i guess,

"musicial instrument" was a link to some random site. And I am not selling an instrument, i'm selling an amp. I also have a very clear description with pictures and write the condition the amp is in. And I also write how much I am looking for in the description.

• Members
Originally posted by LaXu

One thing that I find weird about these scams is the "I send you $5000 check, you take $430 and send the rest to me back" ..who would do something like that? Why not just send a check for $430?

In any case that e-mail sounds like a scam. The way it is worded is very much like what the scammers use. The only thing missing is the "I'd like to buy your ( nice guitar ), my name is ( John Smith ) and I live in ( Irishland )" bits. I don't think anyone would refer to the seller as "Seller" either you know?

I also like how he wants to buy the musical instruments that are for sale instead of the ones that are not for sale.
:D

Well, people get all giddy when they recieve that much money.

"OMG OMG!! I'M ONLY GUNNA SND HIM 2500 BACK!! LOL!!11"

Which in reality, is how much they're in debt.

• Members

Originally posted by harridanguitar

Woops should've been more clear i guess,

"musicial instrument" was a link to some random site. And I am not selling an instrument, i'm selling an amp. I also have a very clear description with pictures and write the condition the amp is in. And I also write how much I am looking for in the description.

Ok this makes it definitely looks more like a scam now

Archived