Marshall Pexi--mid 70's

c2dzmm

• Members

Originally posted by The Chinese

Ahhhh.....I'd say it would be worth nothing, becasue they don't exist. Plexi's stopped in 1968/9. Replaced by the JMP Aluminum faced Marshall.

Mid 70's- About 1500-2000 depending on condition and model.

-Todd A.

I was going to say something to that effect, but I figured I'd just answer the question... :D

• Members

Originally posted by c2dzmm

here's a pic,-----is this a plexi then or what?

It can be a Plexi or it can be a metal panel JMP. It's hard to tell... do you have a pic of the inside? If it's 70's then it's not a Plexi. That doesn't mean it's bad. They're amazing amps.

• Members

Originally posted by c2dzmm

man check the pic. above--i changed them.

Looks like a nice amp actually... I have no idea what it sounds like, bet it has a ton of gain with 5 preamp tubes in there. Although 1 of them is probably for the fx loop. If it's between $1000-1600 or so, it might be worth checking out.

Although I'm not a huge fan of modding... :D

• Members

I don't think I'd invest in a Heavily Modded Marshall like that- Lee Jackson was the Metaltronix guy, right? Those amps didn't live very long from what I recall. I did play one on several occasions and thought they sounded pretty good.

C2-

Try to find the serial Number on the amp. the last digit should be a letter.

A=69

B=70

C=71

etc.et al. You should be then able to date code the head.

-Todd A.

• Members

Originally posted by vlad

It can be a Plexi or it can be a metal panel JMP. It's hard to tell... do you have a pic of the inside? If it's 70's then it's not a Plexi. That doesn't mean it's bad. They're amazing amps.

It's definitley not a plexi- They are JTM, not JMP. That definitely looks like a Mid-70's Aluminum Face JMP, British Version.

-Todd A.

• Members

I founfd the link to the Ebay Auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEE-JACKSON-METALTRONIX-MODDED-100-WATTER-PLEXI_W0QQitemZ7398242884QQcategoryZ38075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dude, i would seriously stay away from that one....1450 BIN on that is much too high, IMO. If you want a serious mod, I would get a New Reissue plexi and have Trace Or James Mod It (James do you do mods? I can't seem to remember, maybe I'm getting you confused w someone else.). Better yet ask them what they recommend.

-my.02

Todd A.

• Members

It's definitley not a plexi- They are JTM, not JMP. That definitely looks like a Mid-70's Aluminum Face JMP, British Version.

-Todd A.

No... Plexis say JMP on them.

• Members

I don't think I'd invest in a Heavily Modded Marshall like that- Lee Jackson was the Metaltronix guy, right? Those amps didn't live very long from what I recall. I did play one on several occasions and thought they sounded pretty good.

C2-

Try to find the serial Number on the amp. the last digit should be a letter.

A=69

B=70

C=71

etc.et al. You should be then able to date code the head.

-Todd A.

There's no "B"

69=A

70=A

71=B

etc....

• Members

Originally posted by Marshall Freak

There's no "B"

69=A

70=A

71=B

etc....

Correct, but 71=C. according to History of Marshall.

so

69=A

70=A

71=C

72=D

73=E

etc.

I always wondered about that why there was no B. I must be because 69 was only a partial year...

Also, according the HoM, "I, O, and Q" were not used, so they got skipped over.

-Todd A.

• Members

so

69=A

70=A

71=C

72=D

73=E

etc.

I always wondered about that why there was no B. I must be because 69 was only a partial year...

-Todd A.

That's what I meant to write, because there is no "B".

They didn't change the amp any between 1969 and 70, and I imagine since they had changed from Plexi to Metal panels, they basically figured all Metal panels are 70's.... Then again, it's Marshall in their early years as a small growing company, it's hard telling what they were thinking!!

In '71, they changed to a different type of circuit board (Tan colored instead of Dark Brown) and maybe they changed from A to B then, to signify a change, and then kept it up?

• Members

so

69=A

70=A

71=C

72=D

73=E

etc.

-Todd A.

I looks too much like 1 and O and Q look too much alike, especially when they were stamping the numbers in.

Archived