Synth deathmatch: Evolver Keyboard vs. Little Phatty

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How 'Moog' can the MEK sound?

Even though sound effects rock, most of the synth sounds I need are classic analog leads and basses, - like Moog. The size, weight, the great-feeling aftertouch-sensitive keybed, sequencer and effects (and the color!) all make the MEK a very attractive instrument compared to the LP (if it only weren't for those blasted encoders :mad:).
Also, some complain badly about stepping, others say it ain't too bad - how does it compare to the Moog in this matter?

:wave:

Niels

• Members

Even though sound effects rock, most of the synth sounds I need are classic analog leads and basses, - like Moog. The size, weight, the great-feeling aftertouch-sensitive keybed, sequencer and effects (and the color!) all make the MEK a very attractive instrument compared to the LP (if it only weren't for those blasted encoders
:mad:
).

Also, some complain badly about stepping, others say it ain't too bad - how does it compare to the Moog in this matter?

Niels

It sucks.

• Members

Hey dudes, so I meditated on this for a week and ultimately decided to pull the trigger on a Little Phatty. Here are the main factors that influenced my decision:

- I intend to use it 85% for basslines.

- although the MEK is undisputably deeper and broader, I have plenty of crazy softsynths as well as my Andromeda for when I'm feeling tweaky.

- I want to focus more on playing and writing songs rather than sound design at this point, and I think the LP will be more conducive to this.

Thanks for the opinions y'all.

• Members

Even though sound effects rock, most of the synth sounds I need are classic analog leads and basses, - like Moog. The size, weight, the great-feeling aftertouch-sensitive keybed, sequencer and effects (and the color!) all make the MEK a very attractive instrument compared to the LP (if it only weren't for those blasted encoders
:mad:
).

Niels

The knobs step. The mod wheel does not. The presets aren't moog-like at all. I've got some leads programmed into it that thrill me-- I'll post a recording when I get a chance. I think they are moog-like, in that they involve a smooth juicy filter sweep. They also involve pulse-width modulation and a detuned unison.

I repeat: a smooth, juicy filter sweep.

• Members
Hey dudes, so I meditated on this for a week and ultimately decided to pull the trigger on a Little Phatty. Here are the main factors that influenced my decision:

- I intend to use it 85% for basslines.

- although the MEK is undisputably deeper and broader, I have plenty of crazy softsynths as well as my Andromeda for when I'm feeling tweaky.

- I want to focus more on playing and writing songs rather than sound design at this point, and I think the LP will be more conducive to this.

See this is the funny thing to me. More options doesn't mean it takes away your ability to use something in a limited capacity, which I will add the MEK can do just as well :idk:

Oh well, congrats on reaching your decision. I hope you thoroughly enjoy you LP :)

PS, on the plus side the Little Phatty's distortion is much warmer and better for bass sounds than the MEK. Other than that the MEK wins hands down for me ;)

• Members

I like the LP too. Love the interface on it. Great design. My friend bought the LP a while ago and seems to really like it. Funny thing is, I let him borrow my MEK (since I have a PEK) and he wants to buy it. I can see both these synths complimenting each other really well.

• Members

I want to focus more on playing and writing songs rather than sound design at this point, and I think the LP will be more conducive to this.

For me I don't really see a difference between sound design and song writing. One is part of the other. It's like saying, I'd rather focus on song writing then note playing, or beat making. I can only suppose you're talking about making melody driven songs.

Anyway post some music when you get some done with it.

Archived