Synth deathmatch: Evolver Keyboard vs. Little Phatty

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'd love to hear completed tracks that feature the Evolver (something at least a little pop sensible). From what I'd heard and played on them .. I HATE it.

www.metalfalcon.com On the song "Chameleon" we uses an MEK for all of the synth parts. I'm not sure I'd call it pop but it certainly has a verse chorus verse chorus bridge format.

• Members

I have a PEK and a voyager. I would choose the PEK any day. The voyager is also great, but not nearly as out there as the PEK.

So go with whatever evolver you can afford before you get a moog. Thats my opinion anyway.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

2:12 on is a Voyager being played with the oscillator octaves being toggled. Sounds pretty {censored}ing out there to me :thu:

The little phatty is a bit of a joke to me (albeit one that sounds really good). The Voyager is where it's at with the Moogs.

That being said the MEK is definitely one of the deepest synths I've ever used. It is 2 steps from modular :)

• Members

I think the function of the LP is to be a straight up giggin' synth. It really is pretty fast to get around on and with a couple of pedals or the CP-201 (yeah it increases the ultimate cost). it would really shine live. I think it design is kept simple for that reason alone. I certainly do not think it is a joke.

In addition it makes a great synth for some one not that experienced with synths. That might be one reason why I got rid of my desk top Evolver. Too many damn choices and options. I might like it more now that I have played simpler things and synth-dom better.

This thread is making me want to pick up an MEK or PEK though, or at least get my hands one.

• Members
I think the function of the LP is to be a straight up giggin' synth. It really is pretty fast to get around on and with a couple of pedals or the CP-201 (yeah it increases the ultimate cost). it would really shine live. I think it design is kept simple for that reason alone. I certainly do not think it is a joke.

In addition it makes a great synth for some one not that experienced with synths. That might be one reason why I got rid of my desk top Evolver. Too many damn choices and options. I might like it more now that I have played simpler things and synth-dom better.

This thread is making me want to pick up an MEK or PEK though, or at least get my hands one.

I hate most desktop synths. I love there being a physical representation of almost every parameter on the faceplate, and this doesn't happen to often in the desktop synth module world.

I don't really subscribe to the whole "start out simple" mindset. My first synth was a Virus TI, I loved the fact that I never really hit a wall or limitation when I had an idea. My MEK expanded my modulation consciousness, and ever since buying it I've approached my virus with a different mindset..... I see even more possibilities now.

You can use ANY synth to get the basics. I always recommend a synth to beginners that will grow with them ;)

• Members
I have a PEK and a voyager. I would choose the PEK any day. The voyager is also great, but not nearly as out there as the PEK.

The two them together is such a sweet combo though, especially with the PEK hooked up to a PER for 8-voice poly. :love:

• Members

Man, I must have a weird pedal. All the action happens at the beginning of the pedal range. It works OK for some modulation, but not filter sweeps.

You need to change a setting in the synth or, more probably, get a different kind of pedal. Control pedals and volume pedals have different response curves and are usually not interchangeable. Google "Exponential versus linear ".

• Members

Google "Exponential versus linear ".

Yeah, I understand exponential vs. linear curves, but the pedal I got gave no indication of what type it was. Is there a setting in Evolver that can change the response curve? I thought about seeing if I could just replace the pot in the pedal.

• Members

Man, I must have a weird pedal. All the action happens at the beginning of the pedal range. It works OK for some modulation, but not filter sweeps.

Are you sure you had the "amount" of modulation from the pedal, and the filter's "frequency" dialed in right? Even when just twisting the filter cutoff frequency knob, there is a juicy range, and a range where not much happens. You have to make sure the sweep of the pedal covers just the juicy range.

So... set the filter cutoff frequency to where you want the bottom of the sweep, with the pedal all the way off. Step on the pedal all the way and then adjust the "amount" until you hear the top of the sweep.

• Members

Are you sure you had the "amount" of modulation from the pedal, and the filter's "frequency" dialed in right? Even when just twisting the filter cutoff frequency knob, there is a juicy range, and a range where not much happens. You have to make sure the sweep of the pedal covers just the juicy range.

So... set the filter cutoff frequency to where you want the bottom of the sweep, with the pedal all the way off. Step on the pedal all the way and then adjust the "amount" until you hear the top of the sweep.

Oh yeah, I'm sure. It's not just on filter cutoff, it's also on other modulations. Plus if I record the CC in a sequencer the values verify it.

• Members
I didn't mean to sound like an ass BTW.
:facepalm:
Sorry.

AFAIK, you should be able to switch out the pot you have for one with a linear taper. Your pedal is probably a volume pedal with an audio taper.

You didn't sound like an ass, don't worry. :) Shouldn't it be the other way around though? Linear for volume and logarithmic for frequency?

• Members

We saw some really great deals last holiday season at online retailers. I dunno if you will see that again.

With the current sad state of retail in all sectors I'd be surprised if the crazy deals of last Xmas season don't come back with a vengeance. I'd certainly hold off on any major purposes for the next month.

• Members
With the current sad state of retail in all sectors I'd be surprised if the crazy deals of last Xmas season don't come back with a vengeance. I'd certainly hold off on any major purposes for the next month.

I don't remember seeing any good deals last year, but maybe I wasn't looking that hard. :lol:

• Members

MEK keyboard w/ aftertouch is a really awesome feature and it just feels really good. However, what really pisses me off is glide dosen't work with the sequencer! WTF is that {censored}? Serious limitation! Personally I think if this synth (MEK) didn't have such an awesome keyboard, it would go in the garbage. I hate the knobs and the parameter steping is totally sucks. BTW the modulation matrix on an Waldorf XT kills the modulation on the MEK kills it! I must be stupid, but I don't think the MEK is that flexible in terms of modulation???? WTF do I know tho?

Archived