Synth deathmatch: Evolver Keyboard vs. Little Phatty

• Members

The knobs onthe Little Phatty aren't the bee's knees either. Bit loose and cheap feeling.
The interface isn't as quick as you'd think it would be. I move around better on the Source.

For "vintage character" I'd take the Realistic MG-1 over both. ;)

Hope this helps :poke:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The sound of the Evolver really spoke to me. There isn't a single factory preset that I find useful in my music, but I still love its sound and feel. .

I'd love to hear completed tracks that feature the Evolver (something at least a little pop sensible). From what I'd heard and played on them .. I HATE it.

• Members

I'd love to hear completed tracks that feature the Evolver (something at least a little pop sensible). From what I'd heard and played on them .. I HATE it.

I have a few tracks and single sounds of both synths on my outdated hp. Most likely not pop sensible, but suited to give some sound impressions. I had the LP however only for 2 weeks during a review, so I am not an expert. Had had to make the demos with very little time.

http://www.trippler.net/music/DSI-Evolver/DSI_s_MEK/dsi_s_mek.html

http://www.trippler.net/music/Moog_Little_Phatty/moog_little_phatty.html

• Members

I love my PER, no question there.

But when I hear something like the LP do a seamless, silky slow filter sweep, I wants that sooo bad.

Why, I ask WHY, does the MEK and PEK have such stepping on the filter sweeps when it's analog oscillators run through analog filters?????

nat whilk ii

• Members

I had the dilemma some time ago got to demo them both and choose the LP over the MEK. Just felt warmer, bigger and better constructed. YMMV. Then a few months later i bought a voyager which is the bee's knees. But LP def wins over MEK and not just because im trying to sell mine lol.:poke:

• Members

Then a few months later i bought a voyager which is the bee's knees. But LP def wins over MEK and not just because im trying to sell mine lol.:poke:

Sounds reasonable. The only way I'd get rid of my LP is if I found an Voyager OS cheap enough for me to afford.

This thread (and countless others like it) proves you'll get opinions ranging from :love: to :p on any synth. The only way you'll know for sure which one suits your taste better is to buy one, get tired of it, buy the other one, then trade it back for the first one because you miss it.

By the way, which model of harmonica did you buy? Some of them sound WAY better than others you know. :)

• Members

Set the resonance to high/mid-high and turn the cutoff knob. Enjoy.

DocT is a pro, so I think you misunderstood his question.

I think he was trying to point out that tweaking the knobs on the Evolver series/Mopho will result in stepping while modulating the cutoff from an internal source, like a slow LFO, should sound smooth.

I think the Evolver impliments a "smoothing" algorithm when controlling filter cutoff from a knob, but it still isn't the same as a real analog potentiometer. The Little Phatty uses a system that Moog calls RAC (Real Analog Control) that allows the LP's knobs pass along actual analog voltage to their destinations while at the same time the value of the knob is being monitored digitally for its value so you can store the patch.

• Members

I have a few tracks and single sounds of both synths on my outdated hp. Most likely not pop sensible, but suited to give some sound impressions. I had the LP however only for 2 weeks during a review, so I am not an expert. Had had to make the demos with very little time.

Sweet .. that was exactly what I was asking for. Nice JOb!

• Members

How do you sweep the filter?

I actually read the manual:eek:, and noted where it said that the filter would sweep more smoothly if controlled by LFO or envelope, which it does.

But specifically in my case, since I have a PER and because of my synth style, it's knobs 90% of the time. So that's where I get frustrated - I know the thing can do smooth sweeps, but not as a performed modulation, only a programmed one.

And to my ear at least, even a slow LFO sweep on the PER doesn't have quite the silky quality of a similar sweetp on the LP or a lot of the other analogs.

Not to say I dislike my PER - quite opposite. This is a quibble - a sizeable quibble as quibbles go, 'tho.

nat whilk ii

• Members

But specifically in my case, since I have a PER and because of my synth style, it's knobs 90% of the time. So that's where I get frustrated - I know the thing can do smooth sweeps, but not as a performed modulation, only a programmed one.

Assigning the cutoff frequency to the mod wheel on my MEK seems to allow a smooth sweep to be performed manually. Also, I can sweep manually over MIDI with another keyboard's controls--a PC3x. So, I think only the encoder knobs are to blame.

• Members
Assigning the cutoff frequency to the mod wheel on my MEK seems to allow a smooth sweep to be performed manually. Also, I can sweep manually over MIDI with another keyboard's controls--a PC3x. So, I think only the encoder knobs are to blame.

A pedal sweeps the filter smoothly, too.:love:

• Members

Having tried both, must confest I liked them both, too. No perfect machine here, but OK considering the price.

But, if I had to choose, I'd take MEK in no time. Much more interesting, fun to play. The basic sound is similar to Matrix6. God for quick arpeggios, sound effects and then some.

• Members
Hey dudes-

I need a small footprint synth and I've narrowed it down to either the MEK or the Little Phatty.

I like the versatility of the MEK but I like the sound and directness of the LP. I am at an impasse. I cannot decide which direction to go. Can anybody sway me in one direction or the other?

Absolutely positively the MEK. I haven't had an idea yet that it couldn't do. It's almost modular in it's routing options. Truly one of the deepest mono synths ever made outside of the modular world.

The little phatty has a good basic sound, but is cripplingly limited.

In my mind there is no competition. Never underestimate the ability of 4 oscillators to modulate each other and other parameters :)

• Members

The LP is built very well, except the keybed, which sucks. Bad. But, still it's quite playable for a sucky keybed. Can't say on the MEK as I had a PEK. The PEK keybed was excellent.

Good overall summary. I willl add that my MEK keybed beats the living {censored} out of the little phatty keybed.

Archived