Synth deathmatch: Evolver Keyboard vs. Little Phatty

• Members

Hey dudes-

I need a small footprint synth and I've narrowed it down to either the MEK or the Little Phatty.

I like the versatility of the MEK but I like the sound and directness of the LP. I am at an impasse. I cannot decide which direction to go. Can anybody sway me in one direction or the other?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've gone over this quite a few times myself, flip-flopping back and forth. They both seem like nice synths.

I think if you want to just get the board and use it straight away, the MEK will be more flexible in the range of sounds and programming options.

If you get something as a base to expand from in the future, the LP has lots of extra goodies available (at extra cost), like this:

http://www.moogmusic.com/littlephatty/?section=product&product_id=21346

• Members

I would go with the Little Phatty for several reasons 1) Very quick and intuitive interface (I know that I did not like the desktop evolver, I not know how different the MEK is 2) Sounds great 3) Recently Moog has been putting out some very nice additional gear and updates that really compliment the LP such as the MP-201 controller, and the CV output mod.

• Members

They're both excellent.

But I guess "small footprint" is subjective. Every time I pick up my Little Phatty I say to myself, "How did they make a small synth so BIG?"

I like the versatility of the MEK but I like the sound and directness of the LP.

I would always choose sound over flexibility.

• Members

I think it depends on how you're going to use it.

If you need a bass machine, the LP is where its at.

If you need more leads, and effects, then the Evolver is probably a better choice.

Also, if the PHYSICAL size is really important, you may want to opt for the Evolver. While the LP is only three octaves also, is is very deep, and tall, and will require special Moog cases. The hard case is like three hundred bucks, and while the soft case is fifty bucks, you have to pack it gently, when loading the car to go to a show. I bet the Evolver will fit into a lot of average hard cases.

For the record, I have an LP, and while I think its great, it is pretty limited sound wise.

• Members

Have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnr1UoSVe-I

I vote for the MEK too. I have one and a Voyager, and I've considered selling the Voyager and keeping the MEK. The MEK doesn't have as much modular interfacing capability as the LP, but frankly I don't think it needs it. The MEK is such a deep synth with so many modulation routes that I've lost any interest in putting together a modular. Who wants to mess with giant cabinets and patch cords when the MEK has it all in a small package?

• Members

I think it depends on how you're going to use it.

If you need a bass machine, the LP is where its at.

If you need more leads, and effects, then the Evolver is probably a better choice.

For the record, I have an LP, and while I think its great, it is pretty limited sound wise.

+1 The LP will give nice round snappy basses, but the Evolver can give you good basses and a whole lot more. Not to say the LP can't, but just not as big of a sound palette.

• Members

it's a tough call. I had a bad experience with the mopho, so I'd hesitate to grab a MEK. At the same time the LP sounds a but thin compared to a mini, or voyager, so it'd be like ALMOST having a moog, there's something unsatisfying about the LP. Also I don't do that much key playing, so the sequencer us where it's at for me.

I'd probably get the MEK without too much regret, due to sequencing, and modulation capabilities.

• Members

Depends on what you want I suppose. The Moog sound, or other sounds. I've had both. The LP is incredibly limited in both function and sound. Its basses are okay - but the Evolver does bass just fine, too.

The LP always sounds like that damned Moog filter, you can not escape the Moog sound to it, ever. The Evolver is much more chameleon-like.

The LP is built very well, except the keybed, which sucks. Bad. But, still it's quite playable for a sucky keybed. Can't say on the MEK as I had a PEK. The PEK keybed was excellent.

The LP and Evolver both share a "modern" vibe-less sound when you open the filters and compare the analog oscillators. Neither have the vibe, character, "life", animation, etc. of their vintage brethren. Thankfully on the Evolver, you have much more parameters, and two extra digital oscillators, not to mention the delay lines, to give it its own life, character, animation, etc. etc. The LP does sound good through a vintage analog delay.

With the above paragraph being written, if you're looking for a bass machine, the Roland SH2 is a far, far better buy and for a lot less. And is amongst the most stable and well-made vintage synths. I would even recommend a Realistic MG1, Moog Prodigy, or Moog Rouge over the LP.

However, if you want what the Evolver provides in total - then you really can only get an Evolver. A Q would be a more-than-acceptable alternative.

• Members

i once went through the "which one", LP or MEK phase, and ultimately purchased the MEK. Then I couldn't resist and picked up a Moog Voyager. Figure if Im gonna have a mono synth get the sexy beast that is Voyager. Now I want a PEK.......go figure.

• Members

If you want a Moog, go for the Voyager. The LP is too limited IMHO, unless you expand it with the available Moog options. But then it's going to cost a LOT more. Does it have to be a keyboard synth? If you can settle for a rack, I'd like to recommend the Studio-Electronics ATC-1/X. To me, the ATC sounds meaner, cleaner and juicier than the LP, and with the X model you have loads of filter types. When I got my ATC, I sold my Mopho and LP. I kept the Poly Evolver, though, the Evolvers are very flexible. Perhaps the digital part is what interests me the most.

• Members

The MEK. Depends on your character of course, but for me it's always been wise to invest in a synth that will far out last my programming urges. Yeah, instant gratification comes with this one too! You have over 40 knobs to tweak, and even further are the control mods such as aftertouch, and 3 pedal inputs.

• Members

If you want a Moog then get a Moog because you will not be happy until you do so. This is not necessarily a completely rational decision ;)

I would also really suggest grabbing the knobs on each synth if it is possible. It might be harder to find an Evolver KB. Are the Evolver encoders the same as the encoders on the (non-pot version) P'08? The P'08 encoders drove me crazy and were ultimately the final reason why I decided to sell the synth (not the filter).

The pots on my Voyager just feel like quality. I am not sure how much of that is real and how much is emotional response to owning something I have wanted since I was a kid, but they really do feel nice, solid, and smooth.

However, not only do the Evolvers have a very interesting design with a feedback loop built in and oodles of modulation, there is also the built-in step sequencer which should be weighed in the decision - both as a cool modulation source for sound design and a short functional sequencer. I don't know if the Evolvers have the "Popcorn" patch on them, but dissecting that on the P'08 was a great lesson in how to use the two layers, long square wave modulation on the oscillators, and the step sequencer to make a 32 step tune.

I forgot to suggest that you wait for the Xmas season or for some other sale. We saw some really great deals last holiday season at online retailers, and Moog gave away CP-251 control processors with all LP and Voyager purchases. I dunno if you will see that again, but the deep discounts from MF, 18 month interest free, and free CP-251 thrown in roped me in for the Voyager.

Cheers!

• Members

The knobs are the biggest weakness of the Evolver IMO. They are fine for programming the synth in the calm of my studio, and they do give me the direct physical interface I crave from a knobby synth. But they are a bit wonky and rough for live tweaking-- they are "zippery" and it's difficult to get to a specific value fast. They are endless rotary encoders, which has it's own set of advantages. They are also kind of "accelerated" in that their sensitivity seems to depend on how fast you turn them-- it is necessary to find the right touch with them. So you have to assign the parameters you want precise control of to the mod wheel (which feels great plays great), the aftertouch (which is the best aftertouch "action" I've experienced), or a pedal. You could use the pitch wheel for that too.

It is my first and only analog synth. I had a similar showdown between the Evolver, the Voyager, and the LP. I drove to Montreal (the nearest city) and found all 3 synths and played them with closed-back headphones for a few hours. I tried the factory presets, and I tried programming from scratch-- you should do this to get the vibe of each synth.

The sound of the Evolver really spoke to me. There isn't a single factory preset that I find useful in my music, but I still love its sound and feel. I was able to dig right in and program sounds that I'd been trying (and failing) to achieve on my menu-diving digitals for years.

I felt like the Moogs would excel at basses and leads and all the classic Moog stuff. They definitely have a smaller palette to work with, even if it is an awesome funky palette.

I knew I wanted more weirdness, more newness, more complex evolving patches. Evolver really excels at the slowly evolving patch... thus the name? I haven't actually used the digital oscillators in my gigging patches, or the digital high-pass filter, but that's because I'm still on an analog honeymoon. I will use them.

I ended up with a PEK, which is overkill most of the time. I manage to find uses for the polyphony during psychedelic dub freakouts, but in the normal course of music the thing really only needs one note.

Archived