Probably the best VALVE bedroom 50W (Orange) amp. READ

math2014

• Members

So i was in a VERY good guitar shop in Scotland yesterday.

I tested the following amps.

1. THD Flexi 50

2. Oranger Rocker 30H

3. Orange Rockerverb 50C

I was using a Gibson LP std.

To cut a long story short, the Rockerverb 50 (either combo or head) is THE best amplifier for using from bedroom low volumes to gig volumes. I was SHOCKED to hear almost the same damn tone at such a low volumes WITHOUT an attenuator.

I couldnt believe the amount of sustain, note definition, drive, warmth etc etc i had with the volume pot at 1/10!!!!!! That was the situation in ANY drive or clean settings, from clean to blues to rock/hard rock to metal/thrash.

I had no problem dialing easily Zeppelin, Doors, Sabbath, Cream, GnR, ACDC, Metallica, Tool, without using ANY pedals.

For some reason the RV50 performed better than the R30. The rocker 30 had a faulty gain pot so it is a bit unfair to judge it vs the RV50, but it seemed to me that the R30 maybe needs more volume to produce as much gain as the RV50.

In any case the reverb on the RV50 was godlike, probably the best reverb i have ever had and it seemed like the selling point (+Fxloop) comparatively to the R30.

The THD Flexi was my major dissappointment of the day. Extremely wellmade but at low volumes, i couldnt get enough (for rock) gain out of the amp, even with the boost/volume dimed. Very good for low volume blues etc, but unsuitable for the tones i want at low volumes.

Bottom line...

50W valve? Low volume bedroom play with GREAT tone unattenuated?

YES it is possible. Orange rocker/rockerverb!

• Members

What would you compare the tone of the Rockerverb to? More Marshallish, more Messa ish???

THese amps have been on my radar screen for a while, but I was a bit unsure how good they would be at low volume.

I have heard they are a very good high gain head, btu never got to play one.

• Members

Originally posted by mctallica1

What would you compare the tone of the Rockerverb to? More Marshallish, more Messa ish???

THese amps have been on my radar screen for a while, but I was a bit unsure how good they would be at low volume.

I have heard they are a very good high gain head, btu never got to play one.

Personally I think they are kinda Bogner Shiva-ish.

-Joe

• Members

Well they sounded marshall-y to my ears.

They do offer them in black (extra charge)

And honestly, the low volume performance is out of this world (w/o attenuator). I am using a Laney LC30II +Hotplate and the tone of the Orange is better than my combo with hotplate.

I dont want to start to imagine the tone of the RV50 with a hotplate...

• Members

The Orange is dark, IMO. Especially with the matching cab. But it works. I can get plenty of sustain and feedback if I want, all without the wife in the next room yelling at me. Orange really hit a home-run with this one. The only thing I don't like is getting too much reverb. I always keep it about 8:00.

Even with {censored}ty single-coils, I can get pretty heavy sounds. Once my hotrails & '59 come in, I'm sure it will be 10x better. The dirty channel is not very dynamic, IMO. The Rocker 30 I played was more dynamic than the 50. I'm planning on picking up an overdrive and a fuzz to help out though.

IMO, Orange amps sound like Orange amps. You either love it or hate it. You can get different sounds on the gain channel, but it's all Orange.

• Members

Originally posted by OverDriven

Personally I think they are kinda Bogner Shiva-ish.

-Joe

They are kinda similar imo as well. The Shiva is a bit more dynamic and full/big sounding. The RV50 has more gain I think (just a bit more, not a whole lot). They're both great amps, voiced a little more on the dark or low-mid side.

I would definitely say it's voiced more like a Marshall, not Mesa-ish at all to my ears.

• Members

Originally posted by 65_289

The only thing I don't like is getting too much reverb. I always keep it about 8:00.

The dirty channel is not very dynamic, IMO. The Rocker 30 I played was more dynamic than the 50.

These were my experiences as well and the reason why I didn't decide to get a RV50. I just liked the Rocker 30's better dynamics more but at the same time didn't like it's lack of fx loop. The RV50 is very thick sounding so I felt the reverb tended to make it muddy easily. Sounded pretty good on the clean though.

The THD Flexi was not my thing either, I felt it lacked gain and really needed an overdrive for boost, even when cranked through a Hotplate with master volume off. The MV didn't sound that good to me.

• Members

I also liked the Rocker 30 I tried more then the RV50... I found the 50 to be too thick and boomy in the low mids for my tastes, and I generally really like a lot of thick low mids.

Just the other day I plugged into an RV50 and thought it sounded really good, then I realized that whoever used it before me had turned the mids all the way off. As I turned them up it was right back to dark and boomy again, as I remembered.

Overall I think they're really good amps and I generally like the 'type' of gain they have... I think the mids just need a tweak. The 2-12" cabinet I played it through didn't help things either. I bet the RV series would sound really good through an open or partially open back cab.

• Members

Well the better low vol performance of the RV50 over the R30, as well as the reverb and the fx loop i think are the selling points for me.

Furthermore what impressed me is that i dimed the gain on the RV50 and i still had note definition.!!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

So i was in a VERY good guitar shop in Scotland yesterday.

I tested the following amps.

1. THD Flexi 50

2. Oranger Rocker 30H

3. Orange Rockerverb 50C

I was using a Gibson LP std.

To cut a long story short, the Rockerverb 50 (either combo or head) is THE best amplifier for using from bedroom low volumes to gig volumes. I was SHOCKED to hear almost the same damn tone at such a low volumes WITHOUT an attenuator.

I couldnt believe the amount of sustain, note definition, drive, warmth etc etc i had with the volume pot at 1/10!!!!!! That was the situation in ANY drive or clean settings, from clean to blues to rock/hard rock to metal/thrash.

I had no problem dialing easily Zeppelin, Doors, Sabbath, Cream, GnR, ACDC, Metallica, Tool, without using ANY pedals.

For some reason the RV50 performed better than the R30. The rocker 30 had a faulty gain pot so it is a bit unfair to judge it vs the RV50, but it seemed to me that the R30 maybe needs more volume to produce as much gain as the RV50.

In any case the reverb on the RV50 was godlike, probably the best reverb i have ever had and it seemed like the selling point (+Fxloop) comparatively to the R30.

The THD Flexi was my major dissappointment of the day. Extremely wellmade but at low volumes, i couldnt get enough (for rock) gain out of the amp, even with the boost/volume dimed. Very good for low volume blues etc, but unsuitable for the tones i want at low volumes.

Bottom line...

50W valve? Low volume bedroom play with GREAT tone unattenuated?

YES it is possible. Orange rocker/rockerverb!

Did you go to guitar guitar bu any chance :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by supercow3

Cause they arnt many shops that have the THD in stock with the ornage togather:D

True,

It was a unique opportunity to try 2 Orange amps vs the THD gear. I wish more shops were like this.

Archived