Anyone in Seattle wanna be my friend?

Josh Savoy

• Members

Originally posted by ebrecordings

i'm originally from central washington (moses lake) and have spent a great deal of time over where you're at. from my experience, meeting people is really hard there because everyone seems to keep to themselves and not want to do much. my friends that all live there seem to say the same thing, it's like everyone enjoys their solitude there, it's weird. of course not everyone is like that, it just seems to be more like that than other places i've spent time in.

Werd. Thats what I've found out. The closer you get to the city though, it totally changes. Everyone's been super cool downtown and at the U District.

It's also awkward to be this 6'3 goofy Boston hardcore kid walking around in a stupor, not knowing where I'm going. Its not like you can walk up to a bunch of people and say "Yo dudes, can I be yer friend?"

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Josh Savoy

Werd. Thats what I've found out. The closer you get to the city though, it totally changes. Everyone's been super cool downtown and at the U District.

It's also awkward to be this 6'3 goofy Boston hardcore kid walking around in a stupor, not knowing where I'm going. Its not like you can walk up to a bunch of people and say "Yo dudes, can I be yer friend?"

my only friend in the hardcore scene there lives in bellingham. you could probably talk to him and he could point you to some cool people to hang with. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=1857265 that's him

• Members

my only friend in the hardcore scene there lives in bellingham. you could probably talk to him and he could point you to some cool people to hang with.
that's him

Cool man. Thanks. What else is there for music around here? I dig everything... blues, hardcore, metal, classical... anything.

• Members

Bellingham is about 2 - 2.5 hours north of you and it pretty much is just a party town, there really isn't much else to do other than get drunk and go to parties. There are some bands from up there but most of the venues are terrible.

Everett is worthless, don't even waste your time there unless you're interested in Hockey, some of the events happening at the Everett Events Center, or drug labs. I used to live just outside Everett and it really is an armpit. It has truly earned its nickname of "Little Tacoma"

Pioneer Square and Capitol Hill (both in Seattle) are great places to check out on Fridays / Saturdays if you're into live music or for bar / club hopping.

I heard Dick's was a cool place to grab burgers. On the east coast I'm used to run-down burger joints... out here, especially closer to the city, everythings so much more classier. I dunno if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

Dicks is {censored}ing terrible, same level as McDonalds. People just say its great because the place has been around for a while and its a trendy place to go.

How extreme? I'm definately down with some
good
metal.

There are a bunch of quality local death metal / black metal bands. 75% of the rest of the "metal" bands are just wanna-be Pantera / Disturbed / whatever was mainstream in 2000-2002 / bands with a DJ / sample guy.

As far as other music scenes, don't really know. I was told there was a good hardcore / punk scene out here but I don't know if that's true.

Bellevue, Kirkland, the Island Cities, Mill Creek, Redmond, as well as pretty much every upper class neighborhood will be filled with people that basically believe they're better than everyone else. Bellevue and Kirkland are the worst, lots of rich families (or people that want to think they're rich) that are stuck up.

If you go to shows, just strike up a conversation with people, most people will talk to you and you'll make fast friends. I went from literally knowing 4 or 5 people to knowing around 40 through the music scene.

Cool man. Thanks. What else is there for music around here? I dig everything... blues, hardcore, metal, classical... anything.

Pick up a copy of the Seattle Weekly or The Stranger (both free papers at pretty much any bar / club / place in Seattle) and thumb through it. They usually have a sizable listing of shows in there.

Seattle Symphony is always putting on good stuff. They perform out of Benaroya Hall, but it can get a bit expensive going a lot... http://www.seattlesymphony.org/benaroya/

Not sure about the Blues scene. There are a couple of nice upperscale jazz clubs downtown, but I can't remember the names of them off the top of my head.

Hardcore scene is more underground, as I understand it.

Punk stuff... Not really sure where to get it... This site http://www.seattlepunk.net/ used to have some stuff.

I can go on and on about metal acts from around here, if you want.

• Members

I live up by Northgate, and I'm a big extreme metal/hXc fan. Check out Studio Seven and El Corazon. Tons of shows all the time. Click my "solo stuff" link and add me as a friend, we send out show bulletins all the time.

Contrary to what it might seem there is more to do in Seattle than jump ferries and eat dicks :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Inearthed

Yeah, if you don't mind... I figured the west coast would be home to metalcore.

I guess the one hitch is I'm 20. I'll be 21 in September, so anything I can't get to now, I'll get to later.

• Members
Originally posted by DeathMonkey

I live up by Northgate, and I'm a big extreme metal/hXc fan. Check out Studio Seven and El Corazon. Tons of shows all the time. Click my "solo stuff" link and add me as a friend, we send out show bulletins all the time.

Contrary to what it might seem there is more to do in Seattle than jump ferries and eat dicks
:thu:

Will do, man. I'll be at El Corazon tommorow night for the Vendetta Red show.

• Members

Come on Josh...you won't fond too many "friends" on the internet!

Get off the computer and go see some shows. Go live life. Answer some band ads. You meet some weirdos sure. But not as bad as posting on an internet forum looking for buddies. :(

• Members

i'm originally from central washington (moses lake) and have spent a great deal of time over where you're at. from my experience, meeting people is really hard there because everyone seems to keep to themselves and not want to do much. my friends that all live there seem to say the same thing, it's like everyone enjoys their solitude there, it's weird. of course not everyone is like that, it just seems to be more like that than other places i've spent time in.

How long have you lived in Florida.

During the summer...EVERYONE hibernates! Cept the tourists.

• Members
Originally posted by 17 Tubes

Come on Josh...you won't fond too many "friends" on the internet!

Get off the computer and go see some shows. Go live life. Answer some band ads. You meet some weirdos sure. But not as bad as posting on an internet forum looking for buddies.
:(

No matter what I post, you reply to me telling me I need to get out and experience life. :confused:

• Members

I guess the one hitch is I'm 20. I'll be 21 in September, so anything I can't get to now, I'll get to later.

That sucks that you have to wait untill your 21, its the one thing, other than no money, stopping me visiting the states. It would be lame not to be able to drink over there

James

• Members

Originally posted by AgentOrange

That sucks that you have to wait untill your 21, its the one thing, other than no money, stopping me visiting the states. It would be lame not to be able to drink over there

James

Yeah man... they can send us off to war, but we can't drink. Pfft...

• Members

I'll start working on the list. I don't know of any metalcore acts that are out playing from this area. There are some high school bands playing metalcore but that's pretty much it.

That's weird though that you figured that... I was under the impression that the home of metalcore was Mass / Boston with a colony down in California.

I'll work on a list of bands and post it tomorrow or later tonight.

• Members

I'll start working on the list. I don't know of any metalcore acts that are out playing from this area. There are some high school bands playing metalcore but that's pretty much it.

That's weird though that you figured that... I was under the impression that the home of metalcore was Mass / Boston with a colony down in California.

I'll work on a list of bands and post it tomorrow or later tonight.

Awesome, man. One last question... do you know how I can find a band, or people to jam with?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any metalcore bands, but the ones I do think of came from the west coast.

Most of the indie/emo stuff comes from the east coast. New York and New Jersey churn that stuff out by the bundle.

• Members

Awesome, man. One last question... do you know how I can find a band, or people to jam with?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/muc/

Guitar Centers have message boards in them that you can post ads / find ads on. Most music stores have 'em as well.

The Stranger / Seattle Weekly have sections for musicians.

Otherwise, meeting people at shows is pretty much how I ended up being in every band I've played in.

What sort of band are you looking to join / start / play in? I can ask around.

• Members

Thats not even on my map.

It's a small town right on the interstate (I90). Near there is a really, really small town called Roslin. The TV show Northern Exposure was filmed there. Roslin has a bar called The Brick that usually has a pretty good band playing on the weekends. The Spotted Owl BBQ is also a fun event to attend.

• Members

Guitar Centers have message boards in them that you can post ads / find ads on. Most music stores have 'em as well.

The Stranger / Seattle Weekly have sections for musicians.

Otherwise, meeting people at shows is pretty much how I ended up being in every band I've played in.

What sort of band are you looking to join / start / play in? I can ask around.

I'm looking to play anything. I've been doing classical for two years, and thats a totally solo gig and I hate it. I'm really looking for a good blues gig, but to be honest, I'll play anything. Except death metal... I can dig on it, but I just can't play it. Covers, or originals.

• Members
Originally posted by KLeeneX

It's a small town right on the interstate (I90). Near there is a really, really small town called Roslin. The TV show Northern Exposure was filmed there. Roslin has a bar called The Brick that usually has a pretty good band playing on the weekends. The Spotted Owl BBQ is also a fun event to attend.

Spotted Owl BBQ? This ain't one of them swingers club thing is it? ;)

• Members

Spotted Owl BBQ? This ain't one of them swingers club thing is it?
;)

Nothing like that. LOL More of a slap in the face to all the tree huggers in the area. It's really just fried chicken.

• Members

Originally posted by KLeeneX

If anyone asks you to go to a small town called Index...DON"T! Unless your gay, then it's OK.

Huh?

I've never seen more gay people in my life since I moved out here. I've been hit on like 6 times already.

Archived