creating kick ass bell sounds...?

Thorhead

• Members

OK well... I am trying to create kick ass bell sound:

Gear:

Korg X50...

Roland sonic cell (has most samples of the Fan X).

Basicly I want to create nice bell sound for metal band, not cheesy type like COB, more like Eternal tears of sorrows or perhaps even sonata arctica. (Many heavier type of bands use pretty good bell sounds too - cant remember names right now).

There is ok bell sound on the sonic cell called D50 bell but I want to do better than that. Any takers? Is there some synth with completly kick ass bells?

How should I use the filter, they say double filters can help... I want to have plenty of botton and high end.

Yeah, I am lazy today.

• Members

Here are some free FM synths. You can make some nice bell sounds with something like these. NI FM8 would be a good commercial one.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1980.html

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/3679.html

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/3818.html

If you want hardware, many old Yamaha synths are, or contain FM/PM synthesis. They're cheap too for the most part.

• Members

Here are some free FM synths. You can make some nice bell sounds with something like these. NI FM8 would be a good commercial one.

If you want hardware, many old Yamaha synths are, or contain FM/PM synthesis. They're cheap too for the most part.

Thanks, I will check them out.

I still think many bands have gotten good results with what I have... And I dont like lugging computer around (Hopefully a pianoteq rack will be released at some point).

• Members

If your X50 has ring mod, you might want to try that with the oscillators set at odd intervals. You shouldn't really have to do too much filtering.

Cell has ring mod. How shoud I set it up - I mean the ring mod?

What kind of oscillators... saw, bell samples?

thz.

• Members

If you need just the bell sound why don't you create one with NI FM8 demo for free? You can sample and layer it to your liking (even with the ring mod bell) without even buying the FM8.

If you're OK with software I'd recommend buying it, though. It's amazing for all kinds of non analogish sounds.

• Members

Basically - ring mod will output the sum and the difference of the frequencies of the oscillators used.

There's some audio examples on the wiki site.

Also - right in the back yard here:

Ok thanks, I think I got it now...

I am gonna try this soon... 2 sinewaves detuned a lot and then through ring mod. But aint this going to be sounding WAY out of tune?

Also just to be clear, I am not trying to get "church bell" bells.

• Members

I would think the biggest difference in bell sounds would be based on size and thickness, so adjusting pitches, envelopes, and modulation rates should be all you need to do to get differing bell tones. You might want a fast attack and decay, but mildly applied pitch mod envelope on one of the sine waves too. I'm at work right now, so I can't try any of this out at the moment. (working out my half-distracted head)

• Members

Sample church bells.

I dont want church bells, I want bell sounds to play melodies with and etc.

Also I would prefer to use Sonic Cell (cause X50 screen is falling etc. I try to use it the least amount possible). Basicly anyone who has fantom X/G or JV/XV series or even juno G/D/stage can help.

• Members

would
do?

No... thats a church bell. I dont want "real" bells, I want stuff that many say sounds like bell but is more like xylophone or something in reality.

I want more like this (but a bit diffrent - I know many hevier type of bands use bell sounds but dont know what they are called).

[YOUTUBE]6dyCFJXcXak[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]oeZ9FOCV_M8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Ok, yeah, that's Even More Cheesy Bell.
:lol:
It doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the song, does it?

Its still the most asked "how to make" sound :cop:

But can you now post me a sound that you dont label as "cheesy", maybe I can get something out of that...

Archived