Thirty seconds of the new tool song

martinrr

• Members

Originally posted by willy22

That was such a tease.

Originally posted by scabbypads

i don't think i can listen to only 30 seconds of a tool song.

i've been staring at the song all day, but this is why i haven't listened.

• Members

I'm not surprised it sounds like a Lateralus spinoff in style as I got that impression from a long album review with descriptions of how the songs sounded a while back. This sort of thing builds and bludgeons and explores but never really hooks me and there's an edge that's missing. I think that's what Lateralus is missing for me. I'm up for more of a riffy, straight-ahead sound. I prefer songs like Stinkfist or Hush.

• Members

Originally posted by martinrr

From what i've heard the album is going to be a lot more rockish and less ambient tool noises, which sounds good to me!

That's what they've said, but from what I've read the sounds described are the usual textural explorations with the heavy parts being heavier.

• Members

I hope they've improved production since Lateralus as I feel it really lacked. The quiet parts were not audible (unless maybe with headphones in a silent room) and then the loud parts were too loud. I'd constantly be turning the volume up and down....:mad:

However, Tool is Tool and I really don't think anyone would want them to change....too much at least.

• Members
Originally posted by Firegoat

I hope they've improved production since Lateralus as I feel it really lacked. The quiet parts were not audible (unless maybe with headphones in a silent room) and then the loud parts were too loud. I'd constantly be turning the volume up and down....
:mad:

However, Tool is Tool and I really don't think anyone would want them to change....too much at least.

That's the reason I love the production on that album, it's not that modern compressed-to-hell-no-dynamics-at-all-{censored}.

• Members
Originally posted by Firegoat

I hope they've improved production since Lateralus as I feel it really lacked. The quiet parts were not audible (unless maybe with headphones in a silent room) and then the loud parts were too loud. I'd constantly be turning the volume up and down....
:mad:

Dingdingding we have a winner! Here you go lucky fella, have a bitchslap.

Lateralus' production was awesome because of those dynamics - instead of the white noise, brickwall limited, compressed-to-the-point-of-banality audio garbage.

I bet you love mainstream radio compression? ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Kittenfaust

Dingdingding we have a winner! Here you go lucky fella, have a bitchslap.

Lateralus' production was awesome because of those dynamics - instead of the white noise, brickwall limited, compressed-to-the-point-of-banality audio garbage.

I bet you love mainstream radio compression?
;)

Actually, no I don't love mainstream radio compression. Lateralus was just isn't practical to listen to anywhere except for a sound-proof studio, where of course it's easy to think these production tatics may work. Little do they know that it's worthless in 90% of the places consumers will listen to the CD. Dynamics are good but it was a bit extreme on Lateralus.

Tool really needs to look to their earlier works for good production.

Archived