Super huge Easter thank you to Jesus

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

Originally posted by indespise

Eastern religion is peaceful, and it's not built on fear and guilt.

LOL ok please please make sure you know what your talking about before you post these things. Since you like to bring up Buddhists lets take a look at them...

The Tibetian branch had a fair sized struggle with native Tibetan Animist or Shamanic types up to about the 8th-9th centuries with skirmishes as late as the 12th. Some of their mystical histories claim this started in about 18,000 B.C., which would make it the longest war ever, but a more realistic estimate is 200 years of relatively steady low key warfare and another 300 or so by fits and starts. Picture lots of platoon sized battles in mountain passes and worse terrain, and some ambushes of town garrisons en route, but few bigger battles.

While only one side there was Buddhist, that's the side that behaved in some ways like the US did in the "Indian" wars - i.e. "choke off their resources and starve them out", with the animists, et. al. behaving more like the Native Americans - "Hit and run, hide in the hills". At this point, it's all ancient history, they have integrated many traditions and Bonpo tradition monks are almost indistinguishable to westerners from formally Buddhist monks while even the Dalai Lama incorporates some shamanistic techniques and rituals. In their defense, I don't think the Tibetan Buddhists ever stooped to the equivalent of using Smallpox soaked blankets.

A number of the Japanese factions, and _particularly_ Zen, were pretty keen on the Japanese entering WW 2, although that may have been more capitulation to the political regime than them being a driving force behind it. Some individual Zen Buddhists were also rather couragious in opposing it (i.e. Katagiri Roshi, Suzuki Roshi), but overall, Zen supported the war at least as faithfully as any other local religion.

You might Google for some terms like "World War 2" and "Zen" together, or maybe "Tibetan Animist" and "War", but the sites change a lot and I can't guarentee you'll find enough to get a feel for the history. One bunch you could look up is called the "Nu People". They're Northern Chinese (Tibetian influenced) Buddhists and Animists, much like modern Tibetans. The part about every male carrying a machete in public at all times was one of the things that got me wondering about the peaceful Buddhists. Of course, news from those parts is heavily constrained by the official PRC government, and should be taken with many grains of salt.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by ejecta

LOL ok please please make sure you know what your talking about before you post these things. Since you like to bring up Buddhists lets take a look at them...

The Tibetian branch had a fair sized struggle with native Tibetan Animist or Shamanic types up to about the 8th-9th centuries with skirmishes as late as the 12th. Some of their mystical histories claim this started in about 18,000 B.C., which would make it the longest war ever, but a more realistic estimate is 200 years of relatively steady low key warfare and another 300 or so by fits and starts. Picture lots of platoon sized battles in mountain passes and worse terrain, and some ambushes of town garrisons en route, but few bigger battles.

While only one side there was Buddhist, that's the side that behaved in some ways like the US did in the "Indian" wars - i.e. "choke off their resources and starve them out", with the animists, et. al. behaving more like the Native Americans - "Hit and run, hide in the hills". At this point, it's all ancient history, they have integrated many traditions and Bonpo tradition monks are almost indistinguishable to westerners from formally Buddhist monks while even the Dalai Lama incorporates some shamanistic techniques and rituals. In their defense, I don't think the Tibetan Buddhists ever stooped to the equivalent of using Smallpox soaked blankets.

A number of the Japanese factions, and _particularly_ Zen, were pretty keen on the Japanese entering WW 2, although that may have been more capitulation to the political regime than them being a driving force behind it. Some individual Zen Buddhists were also rather couragious in opposing it (i.e. Katagiri Roshi, Suzuki Roshi), but overall, Zen supported the war at least as faithfully as any other local religion.

You might Google for some terms like "World War 2" and "Zen" together, or maybe "Tibetan Animist" and "War", but the sites change a lot and I can't guarentee you'll find enough to get a feel for the history. One bunch you could look up is called the "Nu People". They're Northern Chinese (Tibetian influenced) Buddhists and Animists, much like modern Tibetans. The part about every male carrying a machete in public at all times was one of the things that got me wondering about the peaceful Buddhists. Of course, news from those parts is heavily constrained by the official PRC government, and should be taken with many grains of salt.

That's interesting stuff, but I fail to see how the religions were used to justify the actions.

Archived