so this is a list of amps i am planning to get over the summer.

flaming turd

• Members

Great minds think alike! My studio (Screaming Monkey) is designed with the idea that bands can spend the bulk of their budget on a big room studio to record drums and vocals in (although my vocal chain is quite good), and then come here to do guitar overdubs. Look at my gear list and you can see that we have similar ideas and tastes.

So here are my suggestions on your list:

1. bogner uberschall
1. bogner uberkab
2. splawn quick rod
2. splawn 4x12 $600
3. engl blackmore I would go with a Savage 120 here, instead of a Blackmore - more versatile, IMHO, more usefull to more people.

3. engl xxl 4x12

4. vht ul100 I have both a UL and a 100/CL, and I would say you could get by without the VHT cleans, especially if you are going to have amps specifically for cleans. The CL gets as much of the "VHT sound" as you need, IMHO, at a much lower price point.

4. vht fatbottom Recording sub/low end cabs doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me - you can get plenty of low end from regular cabs. I would recommend jusdt getting the other VHT 4x12

5. deliverance 120 Not different enough to merit inclusion with a CL/UL, IMHO. Or get this one and forgo the CL/UL

5. deliverance cab
6. mesa blackface
6. road king 412
7. mesa triple rec
7. tremoverb
7. voodoo dual
7. mesa over 4x12
8. h&k triamp MKII
8. h&k cc412
9. bad cat 412
9. bad cat 100
10. jcm 800
10. 1960 cab
11. mesa MKIV
11. mesa grill cab

How many speaker cabs do you need??? The Uberkab has V30s and GT-75s, so a Celestion loaded Splawn (Greenbacks or 80s, something different), a VHT cab and perhaps one more custom cab with Eminence or Webers would do you.

I would sub out the Triple Recto, the JCM 800 (your Splawn should cover that base), and the Tremoverb (get the Voodoo) for a Vox AC30/AC15 Custom Classic, a Twin, and a Hiwatt.

Remember, most bands are actually going to have their own equipment, so you want to be able to provide tones they do NOT have, at least that is my thinking. Throwing a Line 6 in there isn't a bad idea either, to cover more bases (I have a Vetta II).

I feel like I can get just about any tone I really need to at this point, with the exception of a Vox.

The main food groups seem to be:

Marshall Plexi
Modern High gain (bright, think Recto or Uber)
Modern High Gain (dark, think VHT or JCM800)
Fender clean
Fender dirty
Vox
Hiwatt

and as long as you have those bases covered, you should be able to really allow your clients (even if that is just yourself) to come in and be creative with their guitar parts, arrangements and sounds. Best of luck to ya!

• Members
Originally posted by DeathMonkey

Great minds think alike! My studio (Screaming Monkey) is designed with the idea that bands can spend the bulk of their budget on a big room studio to record drums and vocals in (although my vocal chain is quite good), and then come here to do guitar overdubs.

exactly!

i want to do that as well as rent them out, for other studio use or backline. thanks for the suggestions, it helps a lot. i wasn't going to get the jcm at first, but i thought the name would be usefull, even though the splawn would do it better. i will definately take a good look as your other suggestions as well.

thanks.:thu:

• Members

honestly that is a waste of money to have all of those amps.

When you build you amp list, think of it like this:

what kind of bands will i have in here, what tones will they need.

Then look at like clean tones, what kind of clean tones are there, what amps can get me that.

Then mid gain, look into mid gain stuff, then high gain, etc.

You dont need all of those cabs. Most people will want to use one or 2 cabs, pick the best ones that are the most usable and go from there.

Just my opinion tho.

• Members

Originally posted by godofmetalguita

honestly that is a waste of money to have all of those amps.

When you build you amp list, think of it like this:

what kind of bands will i have in here, what tones will they need.

Then look at like clean tones, what kind of clean tones are there, what amps can get me that.

Then mid gain, look into mid gain stuff, then high gain, etc.

You dont need all of those cabs. Most people will want to use one or 2 cabs, pick the best ones that are the most usable and go from there.

Just my opinion tho.

well, sure it's somewhat a waste of money. but it's not just for recording, so i want to have matching halfstacks for backline rentals.

plus it's cooler.

• Members

Originally posted by flaming turd

don't know about the drums. probably start with pearl exports or something.

as far as format, some sort of pro tools.

leave an amp or two out and buy some good drums, mahogany drums sound like junk (pearl export)

• Members

Originally posted by saxamafone

who's that in u're avatar?!

Hold on I'll go wake her...

I really have no idea...I borrowed it from another thread because it was supposed to be unacceptable and I'm an ass man. :/

• Members

On the drum front, I suggest getting a Tama Superstar Custom. That's a decent, mid-level set that could be outfitted w/ different racks and cymbols. Don't go too crazy on the piece of the drumset though.

Also, don't forget the soundproofing. If you can take a 20 by 20 room and make it 15 by 15 w/ soundproofing, do it. Not only does it benefit everyone outside, it'll cut down on echo and weird sound variances.

• Members

I would rather buy 2 or 3 of the amps(one multi ch. highgain, one clean fender, and one marshall), and rest on studio gear... but that's just my opinion :)

btw, that's almost 26000$ in amps only

I mean, you could get a real Pro-Tools setup, with good mics and all for half of that...

• Members

Originally posted by Hopeless

That to me seems absurd.

Makes sense to me. When you here people talk about clean tone, they'll always compare it to a fender. Fender is the clean "gold standard." So get a blackface twin as that is the clean most people talk about as "fendery".

Most all the amps on that list have a clean channel. Will they be good? Probably. Will the twin be better? Maybe. Will it give a different option tonally? Defintely.

Maybe my wording was slightly confusing... I typed it out pretty quick.

Originally posted by DeathMonkey

Marshall Plexi

Modern High gain (bright, think Recto or Uber)

Modern High Gain (dark, think VHT or JCM800)

Fender clean

Fender dirty

Vox

Hiwatt

+1

• Members
Originally posted by salvador

promise you'll post pics when it's done for us to spank to.

i haven't played too many of those amps, but have you considered the diezel range? also for cleans you could add a roland jc120, great clean amp.

oh i'll post pics. :thu:

i have considered diezel, but they're so expensive, but i guess it would be smart to do that and drop a couple of the others.
also thought about the jc120, i'll pick that up.

• Members
Originally posted by flaming turd

oh i'll post pics.
:thu:

i have considered diezel, but they're so expensive, but i guess it would be smart to do that and drop a couple of the others.

also thought about the jc120, i'll pick that up.

Yeap i think that would be an excellent more to drop some amps to get the diezel:thu:

Archived