Wow, Firefox finished

Dark Angel

• Members

Originally posted by chiro972

Looks like Mozilla is dropping development of Firefox to me also. Yes I did read the whole article.

Are you referencing this quote:

Version 1.7.13 of the suite will be the final version from Mozilla, as per its "sunset" announcement a week ago when it said it would close the books on Mozilla, Firefox 1.0.x, and Thunderbird 1.0.x

If so, the current versions of Firefox and Thunderbird are 1.5.x.x. It makes perfect sense that they are no longer updating 1.0.x.

• Members

OK, the article was very poorly worded. Implying that an open sores group was going to pick up development of "the suite" made it easy to overlook that they were only talking about the suite as a whole at a snapshot in time.

I think the author had less an idea what he was writing about than I did!

So, it appears this was a false alarm... unless you insist on using some old assed version of Firefox.

Apologies....

• Members

Originally posted by Dark Angel

OK, the article was very poorly worded. Implying that an open sores group was going to pick up development of "the suite" made it easy to overlook that they were only talking about the suite as a whole at a snapshot in time.

I think the author had less an idea what he was writing about than I did!

So, it appears this was a false alarm... unless you insist on using some old assed version of Firefox.

Apologies....

However, it does look like Mozilla is over though, correct?

• Members

Originally posted by jcourtjr

I know a guy that used to work for me that installed firefox on some servers. I couldnt believe that {censored}. He was fired. (for that among other things)

Forgive my ignorance, but whats wrong with it? Would you prefer IE!?

-Joe

• Members

Originally posted by OverDriven

Forgive my ignorance, but whats wrong with it? Would you prefer IE!?

-Joe

no reason to put software like that on a server in a production environment. There are enough holes in windows already. I personally prefer IE just because im used to it and it seems more responsive.

• Members

the 1.7.13 version was the last it would produce, putting an end to Mozilla's development of an Internet suite that traces its roots back a dozen years to the original Netscape.

Mozilla produces two browsers, the regular browser known simply as Mozilla, and Firefox. seperate entities.

it said it would close the books on Mozilla, Firefox 1.0.x, and Thunderbird 1.0.x.

Firefox 1.0.x has been out of date for a good eight months or so. the alpha for 2.0 is on their site (called Bon Echo, since it's still an alpha). the full version of 2.0 is supposed to be out later this year, several months ahead of IE 7.0, which has been in development for WAAAY longer.

• Members

Originally posted by jcourtjr

no reason to put software like that on a server in a production environment. There are enough holes in windows already. I personally prefer IE just because im used to it and it seems more responsive.

Why would anyone need a browser on a server?? I can see putting a browser on a workstation, but what good would it do on a server? And hey jcourtjr, if you're using IE, you're just asking to get f'ed in the A. There are more vulnerabilities in that piece of bloatware than you can shake a stick at. And unlike the firefox developers, microsoft is slow to get patches out to fix their buggy POS.

• Members

One of our IT guys got the idea to start distributing Firebox to end users and migrate them over from IE.

What he didn't anticipate was that certain java enabled web applications that we use didn't work in Firebox and he had to hussle out there and show the end users to use IE for some things and Firefox for others :idea:

Archived