one guitar vs. two

Themetallikid

• Members

How is it that every cover band I've been in or seen, if they have one guitar it sounds empty like a second guitar is needed, especially during a lead...but when I think of some of the good bands that have had one guitar player, it doesnt sound that way...es

whats missing?

Any tricks to making one guitar sound fuller? or not as empty

• Members

Jason I just played my first show ever without a second guitarist and I got a bunch of you don't need a second guitarist comments. Mainly my rythm section kicks ass and I used two 4x12s one on each side of the stage. The soundguy micd both cabs with different mics and mixed them. It sounded thick as hell even for the leads. I still want a second guitarist though :)

• Members

You need 2 4x12's Jason.

yes I do....know anywhere I can get some?

Good to hear from you JB...

I just played my first show ever without a second guitarist and I got a bunch of you don't need a second guitarist comments.

I get this too at our shows, with just running a 2x12, although I think they are commenting on my playing the parts not hte overall sound as I'm referring to. I am working on a dual amp setup, using a JSX and a XXX each on one side of the stage mic'd separately and such....so that should make me sound pretty huge...

• Members

in a cover band, i would think a big part of the picture would be how many guitars were in the song originally

i've heard bands that sound great with one or two guitarists...but for me, two is definitely the way to go; just so many things you can do from a writing standpoint that you couldn't pull off with one

• Members

Originally posted by Themetallikid

yes I do....know anywhere I can get some?

Good to hear from you JB...

I get this too at our shows, with just running a 2x12, although I think they are commenting on my playing the parts not hte overall sound as I'm referring to. I am working on a dual amp setup, using a JSX and a XXX each on one side of the stage mic'd separately and such....so that should make me sound pretty huge...

Yeah that will sound huge and I agree with the last post that if there were two guitars there in the first place it will sound a little weird without them there if you cover it.

Archived