Snake Oil Strings - review by jcourtjr

jcourtjr

• Members

Ok les paul done.

Check it out.

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=20694

tension difference was much less and i think the tone was less different than with the fender test. Both strings were very good. I want to give an ever so light edge to the snake oils in the tone department.

The first part was the gibsons and the second part was the snake oils.

Ill post final thoughts in a few.

• Members

Originally posted by jcourtjr

Ok les paul done.

Check it out.

tension difference was much less and i think the tone was less different than with the fender test. Both strings were very good. I want to give an ever so light edge to the snake oils in the tone department.

The first part was the gibsons and the second part was the snake oils.

Ill post final thoughts in a few.

The difference in that clip reminds me of D'addarios vs. DRs. That is, I like both, each for its own thing.

• Members
Originally posted by zepman

10-52 is a standard gauge "JTMB" and are available wherever Snake oils are sold:wave:

My snake oil strings experiment are in effect as of tonight on my Les Paul. They feel a wee bit stiffer than my regualr Ernie Ball Super slinkies. (NOT much though)

1. I'm waiting to see if they get that broken in feel.

2. I'm waiting to see how well they pass my acid sweat test.

Thanks to Zepman for the Snake oil's. I WILL put them through the paces HARD. I'll leave them on my Les Paul until A) I break one which is possible even likely :D or B) They rust out. I would guess breaking first, as I've played the hell out of zepman's guitars pretty regualrly for the last couple of weeks and haven't noticed much dulling either in tone or string appearance.

Thanks Zepman for the chance to try them out. You RULE bro! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Grind Cruncher

What is the difference between the "ORIGINAL NICKEL FORMULA", and the ELECTRIC ROCK FORMULA, as far as materials are concerned?

Is the ELECTRIC ROCK FORMULA stainless steel?
:confused:

The rock formula are a nickel/iron alloy. The difference in tone is that the vintage nickels have a warmer tone and the rock are a little brighter,crisp......................John

• Members
Originally posted by Zachman

My snake oil strings experiment are in effect as of tonight on my Les Paul. They feel a wee bit stiffer than my regualr Ernie Ball Super slinkies. (NOT much though)

1. I'm waiting to see if they get that broken in feel.

2. I'm waiting to see how well they pass my acid sweat test.

Thanks to Zepman for the Snake oil's. I WILL put them through the paces HARD. I'll leave them on my Les Paul until A) I break one which is possible even likely
:D
or B) They rust out. I would guess breaking first, as I've played the hell out of zepman's guitars pretty regualrly for the last couple of weeks and haven't noticed much dulling either in tone or string appearance.

Thanks Zepman for the chance to try them out. You RULE bro!
:thu:

Your welcome Z:wave: enjoy................John

• Members

I use SOS's on my guitars and basses. I didn't really notice an increase in tension using the same gauge strings as usual. I use the vintage stings on my guitars.

I think your comparison would have been much better if you had done the clips with clean or mostly clean tone. Distortion masks a lot.

• Members

Originally posted by Boomer

I use SOS's on my guitars and basses. I didn't really notice an increase in tension using the same gauge strings as usual. I use the vintage stings on my guitars.

I think your comparison would have been much better if you had done the clips with clean or mostly clean tone. Distortion masks a lot.

I clearly heard the difference, and it was very applicable to me, since I play mostly dirty and hardly ever clean.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

I don't really understand why so many say they feel stiffer. I didn't notice any significant difference in feel. Using 10-46 sets on several guitars (LP, strat type) and have problems with bending them or anything.

To me they do sound better than D'Addario or DR strings I used to use and they seem to last very well, although it's never been a big problem to me with the aforementioned brands either. Above all they stay in tune better, my LP used to go out of tune quite a bit (my guitars are next to a window so I assume having it open causes them to go out of tune easier) but only a few cents with the Snake Oils. Considering how they only cost a little bit more than D'Addario or DR strings here in Finland it's a total victory for Snake Oil.

I think I prefer the "rock" ones more, they have a certain clarity to the lower strings that is very nice. Compared to the vintage set they're not excessively bright or anything, in fact I didn't adjust my amp settings at all when I changed to them from D'Addarios. I was a bit skeptical about them when I heard the "rock" strings are supposed to be brighter but tried them anyway and found that even though they are CLEARER and slightly brighter, they are by no means harsh by any definition. That's another thing I like about Snake Oils - they sound musical, don't have those shrill metallic overtones other strings can have.

Its not a problem... I like the fact it was a little tighter... But I could tell right away that they were ever so slightly tighter. I had to adjust the trust rod a hair.

Hank

• Members

I wonder if its the vintage formula that is sort of stiff and the rock is less stiff. Thats what im gathering from what people are saying. I heard there was a bunch of {censored} about them on the gear page but....

I got the rock set and it is just a hair tighter than my dadarrios.

Hank

• Members

Well, after thinking for a while i have made my mind up on the Snake Oils. While they seem superior in tone, I really dont like the feel of them. Im going to stick with the fender bullets and the gibson reissues. I really think anyone who has not tried them should give them a shot because they really are different than what is out there. As far as longevity goes, I can not comment on that. From my experience you need to find a string that mixes well with your ph or sweat or whatever. I wonder if there is a scientific study done on that.

• Members

Well, after thinking for a while i have made my mind up on the Snake Oils. While they seem superior in tone, I really dont like the feel of them. Im going to stick with the fender bullets and the gibson reissues. I really think anyone who has not tried them should give them a shot because they really are different than what is out there. As far as longevity goes, I can not comment on that. From my experience you need to find a string that mixes well with your ph or sweat or whatever. I wonder if there is a scientific study done on that.

I break the bullets too easily, but that's why there are so many brands.

Archived