Snake Oil Strings - review by jcourtjr

jcourtjr

• Members

Finally done with the strat. Like I said in my previous post that mysteriously dissapeared, going to the (vintage) snake oils increased the tension on my strat. I did not like this nor did I get used to it. Harder to bend strings than my usual Fender Nickel Bullets. The sound however was really good. It had some sort of special bite to it that was not harsh at all. Putting the fenders back on, the guitar played much better and the sound was close. I give the edge in sound to the snake oils by a small amount. That clear bell tone really is nice. Here is a sound clip, first the fenders than the snake oils. You can choke on my next review when i try it on the Les Paul. They are going up against Gibson Vintage Reissues.

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=20689

www.sobstrings.net

www.zepman.net

• Members

Regarding the tension, they do say to drop 1/2 a gauge. I thought the Vintage / nickel strings on my strat sounded good, but did not last any longer, maybe less than D'addarios. The rock set is another story entirely. They last FOREVER, and I have high acid sweat that trashes normal strings in a day or two. They sound slightly different to me, but still pretty darn good, but the longevity is the key here.

I probably won't buy the nickel set again but definitely the rock set.

• Members

Originally posted by jaybird

Regarding the tension, they do say to drop 1/2 a gauge. I thought the Vintage / nickel strings on my strat sounded good, but did not last any longer, maybe less than D'addarios. The rock set is another story entirely. They last FOREVER, and I have high acid sweat that trashes normal strings in a day or two. They sound slightly different to me, but still pretty darn good, but the longevity is the key here.

I probably won't buy the nickel set again but definitely the rock set.

Interesting... can you compare the tone between the rock and vintage sets, i have not tried the rock but in general i no longer like nickel plated steel strings.

• Members

Originally posted by Shiny_Surface

Your Snake Oil thread got deleted? You probably got reported by a salesman.

If you are reffering to me, why would I ask for a thread to be removed when it is advertising a product I sell?:wave:

I think Jcourt has done a fair test and I think its cool he took the time to post his opinion:thu: They are not for everybody BUT I have not found a more "musical" string yet and love the slight stiffness. They are all that I use now...................John

• Members

I've been using Snake Oil Strings (Vintage 10-46) for over 1-1/2 years and I love them. I actually find them to have less tension (at least it feels that way) than what I used in the past (D'Addario). I've done a couple of tests recently just to see if I'm nuts or not. I put D'Addarios on for a couple of days and then I put on Snake Oils for a couple of days. I did this 3 times on 2 different guitars (a 24-3/4 scale Heritage 150 & a 25-1/2 scale GMP SG)and I think that the Snake Oils feel "slinkier" with less tension. I also find the tone to be sweeter and they definitely stay in tune better. Strange.

• Members

Originally posted by ejecta

Oh I cant wait....... I cant wait.
:rolleyes:

Hey listen. Im really giving my honest opinion and recording clips. I was skeptical at first but there really is something different about these strings. Zepman and Dean are selling a product and I'm checkin it out. Sometimes (ok most of the time) Im an asshole but thats how I am on here. Sometimes I actually post something of value and this is one of them. The clips in my opinion are pretty cool. Listen and you can hear a diference in the sound.

• Members

Originally posted by BORR4

I've been using Snake Oil Strings (Vintage 10-46) for over 1-1/2 years and I love them. I actually find them to have less tension (at least it feels that way) than what I used in the past (D'Addario). I've done a couple of tests recently just to see if I'm nuts or not. I put D'Addarios on for a couple of days and then I put on Snake Oils for a couple of days. I did this 3 times on 2 different guitars (a 24-3/4 scale Heritage 150 & a 25-1/2 scale GMP SG)and I think that the Snake Oils feel "slinkier" with less tension. I also find the tone to be sweeter and they definitely stay in tune better. Strange.

thats weird. Are you using the rock formula?

• Members

Sounds like Id hate these strings. Everyone says they feel stiff. I hate stiff strings.

So far the slinkiest Ive found are the Fender Super Bullets... Then GHS and Ernie Ball. DR and D'adarrio are the stiffest Ive played...

• Members

Originally posted by jcourtjr

Hey listen. Im really giving my honest opinion and recording clips. I was skeptical at first but there really is something different about these strings. Zepman and Dean are selling a product and I'm checkin it out. Sometimes (ok most of the time) Im an asshole but thats how I am on here. Sometimes I actually post something of value and this is one of them. The clips in my opinion are pretty cool. Listen and you can hear a diference in the sound.

That's great and all, but you're still a cock sucker :thu:

• Members

No, I've only used the originals' (vintage?). The Rock sets sound like they would be too bright for me and I really like the tone, feel, stability, and lifespan of the SOS Original strings so I'm good with those. I'm happy so I'm not messing with them (for now).

I was really skeptical at first when I tried these believe me. I thought "Hey, there friggin' strings - what's the big deal?" but I tried them just for kicks. There really is "something" about them that I like over the D'Addarios that I used forever. They just seem to have a "sweetness" to them if that makes any sense.

• Members

I tried Snake Oil Strings on my strat, and it made all of my other guitar's necks just instantly snap in half! It was amazing. You reallly had to be there.

I'm now using Ernie Ball strings again and all of the necks have replaced themselves and are in working order.

• Members

Originally posted by jcourtjr

Sometimes (ok most of the time) Im an asshole but thats how I am on here.

First step is admitting you have a problem. Still... to be honest I wouldnt trust your opinion.

• Members

I don't really understand why so many say they feel stiffer. I didn't notice any significant difference in feel. Using 10-46 sets on several guitars (LP, strat type) and have problems with bending them or anything.

To me they do sound better than D'Addario or DR strings I used to use and they seem to last very well, although it's never been a big problem to me with the aforementioned brands either. Above all they stay in tune better, my LP used to go out of tune quite a bit (my guitars are next to a window so I assume having it open causes them to go out of tune easier) but only a few cents with the Snake Oils. Considering how they only cost a little bit more than D'Addario or DR strings here in Finland it's a total victory for Snake Oil.

I think I prefer the "rock" ones more, they have a certain clarity to the lower strings that is very nice. Compared to the vintage set they're not excessively bright or anything, in fact I didn't adjust my amp settings at all when I changed to them from D'Addarios. I was a bit skeptical about them when I heard the "rock" strings are supposed to be brighter but tried them anyway and found that even though they are CLEARER and slightly brighter, they are by no means harsh by any definition. That's another thing I like about Snake Oils - they sound musical, don't have those shrill metallic overtones other strings can have.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

I don't really understand why so many say they feel stiffer. I didn't notice any significant difference in feel. Using 10-46 sets on several guitars (LP, strat type) and have problems with bending them or anything.

To me they do sound better than D'Addario or DR strings I used to use and they seem to last very well, although it's never been a big problem to me with the aforementioned brands either. Above all they stay in tune better, my LP used to go out of tune quite a bit (my guitars are next to a window so I assume having it open causes them to go out of tune easier) but only a few cents with the Snake Oils. Considering how they only cost a little bit more than D'Addario or DR strings here in Finland it's a total victory for Snake Oil.

I think I prefer the "rock" ones more, they have a certain clarity to the lower strings that is very nice. Compared to the vintage set they're not excessively bright or anything, in fact I didn't adjust my amp settings at all when I changed to them from D'Addarios. I was a bit skeptical about them when I heard the "rock" strings are supposed to be brighter but tried them anyway and found that even though they are CLEARER and slightly brighter, they are by no means harsh by any definition. That's another thing I like about Snake Oils - they sound musical, don't have those shrill metallic overtones other strings can have.

I wonder if its the vintage formula that is sort of stiff and the rock is less stiff. Thats what im gathering from what people are saying. I heard there was a bunch of {censored} about them on the gear page but....

Archived