Anyone love other Marshalls but not like DSL, TSL

keith2112

• Members

I tried both the TSL and DSL out and don't like either one of them. The DSL is by far the beter of the two IMHO. It still doesn't really do it for me. I have a JCM800 with an OCD pedal and love it. I'm not sure how much I'd like the 900 though I'd like to try out the slx. Has any other Marshall guys have this same experience.

• Members

i have a tsl and love it, but i've never played any other marshalls. i've been toying with the idea of trading into an 800 or a jmp. i run my gain at noon on the lead channel of the tsl. could i get the same amount of gain out of an 800 or jmp without running and o/d?

• Members

Originally posted by Jakem

I like my TSL100 very much! It must be played at VERY high volumes to make it sound good...

agreed. i went from loving my tsl and getting amazing tones, to not playing it for a few months due to repairs. i went back to a crate 2x12 combo during that time, and seriously, i hated the tsl when i got it back. then i remembered that you have to turn it up {censored}ing loud...now it rips.:cool:

• Members

i can't believe how {censored}ty the settings are that people use on the DSL/TSL's in stores. everytime i walk up to try them out it looks like disaster.

i still prefer the DSL's to the TSL's, which is why i picked up the DSL. that said, lay off the gain on the lead channel, don't use the tone shift, and attempt to use the crunch channel because you can get awesome tones out of there. also, i found that i prefer it through my orange cab than the marshall cabs.

i prefer everything through my orange cab actually.

• Members

I would take an 800 or earlier Marshall with a pedal over the DSL/TSLs likely, but I've heard the DSL sound great in a live mix a couple times. I've played them repeatedly and didn't like them that much in person, but I'm sure I could be happy enough with them. Only thing is that to me, they don't sound particularly warm/natural to me. They have a bit of an artificialness/buzziness to the gain that I didn't like and couldn't seem to dial out. I'm sure with the right tubes, speakers, settings etc. that they are great amps.

• Members

Originally posted by relva2

i can't believe how {censored}ty the settings are that people use on the DSL/TSL's in stores. everytime i walk up to try them out it looks like disaster.

that said, i still prefer the DSL's to the TSL's, which is why i picked up the DSL. that said, lay off the gain on the lead channel, don't use the tone shift, and attempt to use the crunch channel because you can get awesome tones out of there.

Ditto.

• Members

Originally posted by Mrmot

I hate the TSL line... totally overrated (NHF)... JCM800's are great amps

I have been using Marshalls for 30 years.I currently own:

2- 2555 silver jubes

1-1959SLPX

1-Tsl 100

1-DSL-100

1-JMP 2203(1978)

All of thse amps rock their own vibe, BUT if you cant get a killer Marshall roar out of a DSL/TSL it aint the amp:thu:

My DSL is my Main amp now and for those who have played it or heard it live they would agree there aint nothing wrong with my tone:wave: The JCM 2000 series is exactly what I have been asking Marshall for all these years...............John Thanks Jim:thu: :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Ralph Stephens

i run my gain at noon on the lead channel of the tsl. could i get the same amount of gain out of an 800 or jmp without running and o/d?

You could get close if you dimed the gain and turned up. I had a TSL 60 head and a JMP 2204 for a while; the 2204 was significantly louder than the TSL, so that might be an issue. Like any Marshall, the 800s and JMPs aren't really meant for low volume playing; the TSL actually sounded a bit better at low volumes- it wasn't as harsh and had more gain on tap. The JMP owned the TSL in every way when turned up. The difference in clarity is huge. The JMP had a deep, clear bottom end the TSL couldn't compete with. The TSL had more bass available, but it was muddy comparatively.

Even at 5, the TSL's lead channel had pretty significant gain. I used to run my gain at 6 playing modern hard rock/metal, and that was plenty. You might need to boost to get the gain level to match. Then again, if you're up loud enough, you might not.

• Members

Originally posted by zepman

2- 2555 silver jubes

1-1959SLPX

1-Tsl 100

1-DSL-100

1-JMP 2203(1978)

All of thse amps rock their own vibe, BUT if you cant get a killer Marshall roar out of a DSL/TSL it aint the amp:thu:

My DSL is my Main amp now and for those who have played it or heard it live they would agree there aint nothing wrong with my tone:wave: The JCM 2000 series is exactly what I have been asking Marshall for all these years...............John Thanks Jim:thu:
:wave:

I feel the same way, except I'd like a solo boost knob.

Other than than minor inconvience (just run an eq in the loop), great amp.

Next time your in the store, grab a strat, using position 2 (Neck and middle pickup) and try the clean channel with the Bass Boost on :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by zepman

2- 2555 silver jubes

1-1959SLPX

1-Tsl 100

1-DSL-100

1-JMP 2203(1978)

My DSL is my Main amp now and for those who have played it or heard it live they would agree there aint nothing wrong with my tone:wave: The JCM 2000 series is exactly what I have been asking Marshall for all these years...............John Thanks Jim:thu:
:wave:

ok. I only played the TSL 60 watts 2*12 combo. It's in the garage that we play in and the other guitar player in my band uses it. We tried Les Pauls, Strats, super strats and .. on it's own, it sounds really good. But, in a band situation it doesn't come out thru the mix. ... It sounds muddy, boomy, i dunno, we tweaked and tweaked and tweaked and just couldn't justify the price that people pay for these amps... it's either boomy or ice-pick in the ear. nhf, but i gues it's all down to different tastes to different people, i guess

:)

• Members

Originally posted by DoubleBarrel

I feel the same way, except I'd like a solo boost knob.

Other than than minor inconvience (just run an eq in the loop), great amp.

Next time your in the store, grab a strat, using position 2 (Neck and middle pickup) and try the clean channel with the Bass Boost on
:thu:

The closest thing to a Strat you will find me playing through my marshalls is one of these guys:thu:

evhtribute.jpg

Archived