I Want To Build My Own Amp

Mikeo

• Members

Probably based on the Fender Deluxe blackface.

Need everything, Chasis, eletrical parts, speaker, cab.

There's a lot of sites out there, but It shouldn't cost a fortune should it?

I tried my friend's 65 Reissue Deluxe and it was very nice, but can I do better myself? May or maybe not.

I thought the Mex made deluxe was rather cheaply made.

My favorite thing was the black face plate even had the input jack nut washers painted on. I was like what the F!@K, come on fender.

I got to campair it to the Vibrolx custom, which was cool too, but loud and I felt less warm. This may be due toi the tube rectifer. It was kinda not that clean either, and did I mention loud.

• Members

You could try the Weber kit.

If this is your first build then I'd STRONGLY recommend trying something simple - like an AX84.com P1eX or similar. While amps aren't hard to build, there are certain skills - like lead dress - that you'll need that will only be acquired with practice.

BTW it's often not a great deal cheaper to build than to buy - bear that in mind.

• Members

Originally posted by Ancient Mariner

BTW it's often not a great deal cheaper to build than to buy - bear that in mind.

precisly and with all the hours of effort and trouble involved its probably gonna cost more, time=money.

but if you build a good kit (ive heard the webers arent top notch) there will be tone to spare!!

a fender deluxe is not that hard, but if you want to build the combo, expierience in woodworking is required. throwing a kit together is something almost anybody can do i guess.

• Members

Originally posted by Ancient Mariner

It's a labor of love, fo' sure. So is building cabs, instruments, et al. Especially the first time, where mistakes cost, and you (maybe) need to buy tools, and then there's the whole time thing...

If you think it'd be neat, it might not be for you.

If it burns in your soul like something that'd burn a metaphysical concept, then you might give it a whirl.

• Members

i've been spending my time slowly accumulating all the tools and other things i'll need in order to do a decent build. since it's a hobby for me there really isn't any rush. i've been doing a lot of reading and research in the mean time.. and i've been able to save a few dollars along the line because i'm not in a big rush. i can wait until things go on sale or i find a good deal on something.
my plan is to start with something simple like a 5e3 kit. i do like the fact that there's alot of help for people building the ax84 p1 kits. that's a big plus. i'd just like to take a shot at building a 5e3 because i like that circuit and the way it sounds. a lot of circuits seem to be similar to the 5e3 so that's why i want to start there. beside i already have an 8 inch cts speaker that ought to work just fine in that amp. i paid a dollar for it.

Archived