PRS SE Custom

D/FW XJ'er

• Members

Originally posted by exilea

I agree that SE's are the one of the biggest bangs for the buck in guitars. I love my Tremontis and would like to get two of these customs. Hard to choose between finishes.
:confused::eek::confused:

Yeah I had the same dilemma, but the one I picked up played a tad nicer.

• Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

Very nice. I think a guitar that would give it a run for it's money is the import Parkers. I have a PM10 that smokes Same as PM20, not as purty). Both guitars have a lot of quality for $500.

I forgot about those, but I agree 100%. I can't see myself gigging with expensive guitars ever again.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

LTD's are a better value IMO.

Depends on what you're playing, but if I was still playing metal then I'd have gone for their Les Paul style with the Duncan's. Incredible deal for a guitar factory equipped with my favorite pickups.

• Members

Just my 2 cents: I have a PRS SE Custom. Bought it in January. It's a great guitar for the bucks. Smokes the LTD's I've played. Yeah, it's a thin figured maple veneer, but there is 'real' maple underneath it, it's just not figured. Not sure where the 'plastic' comments are coming from. Neck is very fast, intonates perfectly, is very solid feeling, and even the stock pickups aren't bad at all - good enough I've gigged with the guitar and had compliments on that guitar. One guy nearly crapped a brick when I told him it was Korean and stock...

I know what a good guitar is, and know how to adjust/tweak them. I cherry picked mine from a group that the local GC had in - the one I picked resonated more acoustically and had a nicer looking top.

And as far as being able to compare it to a 'real' PRS, I own a '91 Custom 24 with birds. For some gigs, I'd rather play the SE - it's close enough to the CU24, and if I dent it or something happens to it at a gig it's bad but not a heartbreaker like damage to the '91 would be. The CU24 is nicer looking by far - it's nearly a 10 top (was marked that way on the body, sometimes the factory will sand a body and realize it's not quite a 10) and of course has the birds, and a brazilian board. The CU24 plays a little better too, but it's not a night and day thing.

I've played a few LTDs that were ok, but most of them are firewood as far as I'm concerned. I own a pair of ESP MIIs from the late 80s that are great guitars. the LTDs I've experienced aren't much compared to them tone or playing wise. I can discern a much larger gap between the LTD/ESP and the SE/PRS.

Pete

Archived