The DSI Mopho Keyboard! Here it is!

goldphinga

• Members

Even though this piece of kit looks awesomely awesome, I am slightly concerned about bringing it live. What stand fits? I play sitting, and an X stand will not only become unsecure when carrying a keyboard this small, but it will also be annoyingly tall. The only stand I can think of capable of supporting such a keyboard on a 2nd tier is that Z-stand where the 2-nd tier arms can be moved vertically. However, I don't want this on a 2nd tier - I'd want it next to me. Any suggestions?

I don't know, but there is a definite gap here in the market. There are a lot of very popular small boards out there (ahem.. Microkorg) and no stands that fit them well. Laptops as well.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even though this piece of kit looks awesomely awesome, I am slightly concerned about bringing it live. What stand fits? I play sitting, and an X stand will not only become unsecure when carrying a keyboard this small, but it will also be annoyingly tall. The only stand I can think of capable of supporting such a keyboard on a 2nd tier is that Z-stand where the 2-nd tier arms can be moved vertically. However, I don't want this on a 2nd tier - I'd want it next to me. Any suggestions?

Apex, Spider pro if you need the pedal space, or something like this maybe:

http://www.musicstore.de:80/nl_NL/NLG/Keyboards/Accessoires/Music-Store-B-99-Keyboardstaender-/-Tisch-2-Auflagen/art-KEY0000198-000

It says multi-adjustable, so maybe you could narrow the space of the second tier. It does look like a very nice stand.

• Members

Looks great. This is almost making me question my probably P'08 purchase.

:freak:

I really, really don't understand this comment. Do you want a poly synth or a mono synth? Do you want something compact or a main board? Do you want apples or oranges?

If there was a Tetra keyboard I could totally see the dilemma, but the Prophet 08 and the Mopho have a brand name and general tone in common...... not a whole lot else.

• Members

I really, really don't understand this comment. Do you want a poly synth or a mono synth? Do you want something compact or a main board? Do you want apples or oranges?

If there was a Tetra keyboard I could totally see the dilemma, but the Prophet 08 and the Mopho have a brand name and general tone in common...... not a whole lot else.

It's not a main board. I bought a Mopho but don't use it much because of the lack of knobs.

I was going to buy a P'08 as a replacement for the Mopho solely to get a similar sound but more knobs.

I imagine I would play both mono and poly lines as applicable on a P'08, but getting a poly board was not the chief aim.

A new KeyMopho would save me about $400-$500 over a used P'08 based on MAP.

• Members

It's not a main board. I bought a Mopho but don't use it much because of the lack of knobs.

I was going to buy a P'08 as a replacement for the Mopho solely to get a similar sound but more knobs.

I imagine I would play both mono and poly lines as applicable on a P'08, but getting a poly board was not the chief aim.

A new KeyMopho would save me about $400-$500 over a used P'08 based on MAP.

Ah, makes much more sense now.

From what you stated here it sounds like you should just keep your Mopho module and buy the Mopho Keyboard. That way you'd have a duophonic thick as hell analog synth with a much more reasonable price tag :)

• Members

49-key Tetra board...with Mopho at $800 and P08 at $2000 where's the price point?

No way...Mopho + Tetra = 5 multitimbral voices for $1600.

Tetra 4 voice keyboard with real knobs (same layout as Mopho keyboard) would probably be close to the P'08 Rack price. $1,200 or $1,300 like someone else said.

That's a polyphonic analog w/keyboard and real knobs (not crappy encoders) for way less than the $2,000 the P'08 costs. I'd be in.

A Mopho keyboard plus Tetra desktop is no good. Not enough keys, plus it's way more convenient to have it all in one package. You need extra mixer channels for the two separate boxes in poly mode.

I'm not complaining about what has been given to us - I'm just saying I'd buy a Tetra Keyboard at that price in a heartbeat.

• Members

the mopho sounds awesome. 800 isn't cheap, but it's an ok price considering you get a second voice for 400 (or 250 since everyone is selling theirs)

or 4 more voices with the tetra.

I think I'll wait until someone is selling their mopho keyboard 5 months from now, and grab a desktop mopho used and get a nice, two timber two voice things going on.

The sound really kicks ass, yeah the filter sweeps suck, but everyother synth can do those.

• Members

32 keys is pretty small and only used to keep the cost down. I sold all the keyboards I had that were under 49 keys and replaced them with there rack versions. I really hope Dave listens to the Tetra keyboard thread and releases one with 49 keys but, I doubt he will. For now my P'08 module will have to suffice.

• Members

5 less notes and it's "useless"

To me, yes. I currently use a Korg R3 (37 keys) for my Bass/Lead synth. It's somewhat restrictive and I'm changing octave buttons quite frequently, but I can just get away with it in a pinch. Take off 5 keys and you've got to be kidding. Maybe if you're playing very basic techno/electronica basslines, but for any kind of funk/rnb role where you'are actually PLAYING the thing, forget it.

• Members

I don't care too much about the # of keys (I'd MIDI it), more so the fact that it has an actual usable front panel. That is what the Tetra needs.

We're on the same wavelength.

:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea:

How about this: take that user interface panel from the Mopho Keyboard and slap on 49 keys. Leave out the Mopho guts, but cut out a little space to the right of the knobs where you can set your Tetra Desktop. Charge $349 or $400 and call it the Tetra Keyboard Controller. Or even leave off the keys and put that panel of knobs in a rack, just like the old "Roland Programmer" glory days. It's all about the knobs.

• Members

I'm with Groove on this one, 37 keys would've been preferable. That lack of those extra keys will still be able to make me reconsider. And I gotta hear the filter, too. Nevertheless, on the paper this one fixes all the flaws that I see in the LP (keybed, AT, sequencer) and leaves out the digital osc's of the MEK that I'd never use. If the sound is right, this still is one deadly tempting piece of gear.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Those hoping for a Mopho keyboard with even more discrete yellow traits than the strip on the prototype might be disappointed. It's pretty yellow. The picture shown is pretty close to what production units will look like. Hopefully they'll still have a grey version - this is just too gaudy.

http://davesmithinstruments.com/news/index.php#mokey

Archived