New Rhodes Piano - does it stand a chance?

filtersweep

• Members

Keyboard has a gushing article this month recounting the history of the Rhodes Piano, the people behind the original and the folks building the new Rhodes. An interesting read. They go on the review the the production of the new Rhodes and go so far as to make it a "key buy". I'm a Rhodes era guy. I even have an old Mark I Stage 73 in my basement that I keep telling myself I will get fixed up someday. But for all the nostalgic appeal, I can't begin to imagine that there really is a market for the new Rhodes. Am I wrong?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think there are a couple of factors working against the new Rhodes. First and foremost is the economy - this is a time where "lighter is better" multi-purpose keyboards reign. The Rhodes is a one-trick pony and it faces many competitors that can do what it does and a lot more. Second, the most popular era for the Rhodes was the 70's when the radio was full of ballads and bands that featured the Rhodes prominently... today's music isn't geared towards the soft and mellow tones of the Rhodes.

I love the Rhodes sound and owned a Rhodes in the 70's when it was in vogue... but unless someone comes out with some modern hit music that prominently features the Rhodes, I would not bet that the new Rhodes will be anything more than a novelty that will serve to remind us of the past and will quickly fade from view.

• Members

I think there are a couple of factors working against the new Rhodes. First and foremost is the economy - this is a time where "lighter is better" multi-purpose keyboards reign. The Rhodes is a one-trick pony and it faces many competitors that can do what it does and a lot more. Second,
the most popular era for the Rhodes was the 70's when the radio was full of ballads and bands that featured the Rhodes prominently
... today's music isn't geared towards the soft and mellow tones of the Rhodes.

I love the Rhodes sound and owned a Rhodes in the 70's when it was in vogue... but unless someone comes out with some modern hit music that prominently features the Rhodes, I would not bet that the new Rhodes will be anything more than a novelty that will serve to remind us of the past and will quickly fade from view.

back when the rhodes was in vogue everything was a one trick pony. the only reason why the rhodes sold was it was the cutting edge electric piano of its day.... it killed the whurly for the most part. the new rhodes will be a major fail due to the fact that they put their money in an instrument that is basically obsolete. If i want rhodes I hit the E Piano 1 switch.

• Members

back when the rhodes was in vogue everything was a one trick pony. the only reason why the rhodes sold was it was the cutting edge electric piano of its day.... it killed the whurly for the most part. the new rhodes will be a major fail due to the fact that they put their money in an instrument that is basically obsolete. If i want rhodes I hit the E Piano 1 switch.

The Rhodes isnt obsolete. How dya work that out? There are more bands than ever using them and recording with them. Saying a rhodes is obsolete is like saying a piano is obsolete ie complete nonsense. The Rhodes is a classic instrument and its sound is timeless. You can hit the E piano 1 patch all you like but stop kidding yourself that isnt a rhodes by a long stretch. :cop:

• Members

But for all the nostalgic appeal, I can't begin to imagine that there really is a market for the new Rhodes. Am I wrong?

exactly, with so good imitation of rhodes sound in new keyboards there'd be little sense to buy it IMO unless somebody use only rhodes and nothing else.

• Members

exactly, with so good imitation of rhodes sound in new keyboards there'd be little sense to buy it IMO unless somebody use only rhodes and nothing else.

pianos are so good in new boards that we no longer need to buy pianos. ooops and look what happened? the last surviving piano manufacturer in the uk just shut its doors.....

:facepalm:

• Members

You see, the difference is, on a real Rhodes - it feels, sounds, plays and inspires so much that I AM happy to play it and nothing else on a gig. It's an 'INSTRUMENT' like a sax/trumpet/bass etc

Rhodes 'patches' on keyboards don't play, sound and inspire me anywhere near as much, hence I don't play them all night, I'll change sounds depending on the tune.

Essentially, I'd much rather play a REAL instrument than 5 EMULATIONS of instruments.

• Members

I don't think its obsolete either. That's like saying "Why play guitar when you can just bring up a guitar patch on your keyboard...".

Some people like the sound and feel of a genuine instrument, regardless of whether its been conveniently emulated by modern technology. Id much rather record myself playing bass than bring up a bass patch on a keyboard.

Understandably, there are the convenience and price factors to take note of but chances are those who can afford one and like the sound of a genuine Rhodes will probably pick one up. Are those people far and few between? I honestly don't know. But I'm under the impression that Brandstetter did some market research and made his decision based not so much on whether it would sell like hotcakes but rather more on his love affair with the instrument itself and for those who can appreciate an instrument of that caliber.

For most of us obsessed with gear, price isn't an issue so much as is the quality of the toys we spend our money on. I'm certainly not a rich man, but when I see something I want, I will find a way to buy it. Even if it takes me a minute. A Moog Voyager is expensive by some peoples standards, even for those that can afford one... but thats not going to stop them from buying one if they want it bad enough. And how huge of a market is there for that instrument?

• Members

The problem is that there's already about a trillion Rhodes in existence. Furthermore, nothing ever goes wrong with them that can't be fixed, they can be cosmetically restored to their former glory, and the original ones have the vintage vibe and retro look. Why would anyone buy a new one...?

• Members

The problem is that there's already about a trillion Rhodes in existence. Furthermore, nothing ever goes wrong with them that can't be fixed, they can be cosmetically restored to their former glory, and the original ones have the vintage vibe and retro look. Why would anyone buy a new one...?

I have a feeling that most potential Rhodes giggers are not interested in taking on an instrument-repair hobby. I also suspect that those same players are less interested in the "vintage" and "retro" aspects of it, and more concerned in the "fine instrument" part of it.

The price is a little bit of a stretch, but then again the price of a Steinway B just passed the $80,000 mark. There are fully functional, 100+ year-old Steinways being played but somehow they keep selling new ones.

• Members

You see, the difference is, on a real Rhodes - it feels, sounds, plays and inspires so much that I AM happy to play it and nothing else on a gig. It's an 'INSTRUMENT' like a sax/trumpet/bass etc

Rhodes 'patches' on keyboards don't play, sound and inspire me anywhere near as much, hence I don't play them all night, I'll change sounds depending on the tune.

Essentially, I'd much rather play a REAL instrument than 5 EMULATIONS of instruments.

I agree with groovatious. The Rhodes is an instrument that inspires. It's my all-time favorite keyboard. Coupled with a Stereo Pulsar and Phase 90, nothing in the world matches a real Rhodes for pure tone, smoothness, and sticky0gooing stank. Love it. Digital is convenient and practical, but the actual tone and playing experience sucks balls.

Having said that, I don't think the new Rhodes stands much of a chance. It's definitely cool. I don't care for the look, but I'm sure it plays and sounds great. But so the the 1976 Stage piano in my basement that cost me $160 before the vintage boom. You're not likely to find that piano for $160 anymore. But $500-600 from a private seller is pretty common, and that's a hell of a lot less than what they're asking for the new ones.

I'd like to see them succeed because I love the instrument. However, I can't say I feel remotely compelled to save for one. Most people spending their money out there don't appreciate the quality and experience of playing the actual instrument. It's hard to make a successful company when that's the case. I'm actually shocked that it's gotten this far. When this thing was first announced, I thought Brandsetter would take all the money from preorders and hoof it to Rio and hide out. People are actually receiving pianos which is cool.

Even while you know me as a Virtual over Hardware guy, I still would love to have a Steinway, a Rhodes, a B3 and a Mellotron.

They are real instruments and their touch can not simply be reproduced by any digital synth. YES, they sound pretty much the same, but the actual experience of playing a real thing is quite unique.

The problem is that you'll need an entire team to load them to the gigs and make sure you have someone to repair them handy, so, these new beasts will be relegated for studio cats or very famous acts which can afford a roadies army.

• Members

I'll agree with the folks that say the Rhodes is an inspiring instrument that cannot be replicated by a rompler.

My concern is more with the economical angle and the very niche market for an instrument like this. It seems like Hammond and Moog have conquered their niche with enough variety to hit various price points and players that can afford them. Rhodes may need to do something similar to make their name more of a backyard brand vs. my current speculation that maybe five or six totally pro cats might be touring them in the USA.

• Members

I've played a Fender Rhodes electric piano.

It spoke to my soul.

It changed my way of playing from the first touch of the keys.

It is a mythical beast of sorts, and there is nothing in the world to make me think that such a creature is obsolete, at least not to me.

• Members

Even while you know me as a Virtual over Hardware guy, I still would love to have a Steinway, a Rhodes, a B3 and a Mellotron.

They are real instruments and their touch can not simply be reproduced by any digital synth. YES, they sound pretty much the same, but the actual experience of playing a real thing is quite unique.

The problem is that you'll need an entire team to load them to the gigs and make sure you have someone to repair them handy, so, these new beasts will be relegated for studio cats or very famous acts which can afford a roadies army.

In this day and age, the arguement against an instrument based on it's portability or gig worthiness is pointless. Nobody buys a Ferrari or even a Miata, wondering how they're going to fit the double stroller, diaper bag, and a month's worth of groceries into it. That's what the SUV or Van is for. SUV's and vans are practical cars that people need for transportation. But you don't drive them. Just like you don't play a ROMpler. You use it. You play a Rhodes, B3, Steinway and Mellotron. They inspire you and make your troubles drop away and feed your soul with music. A ROMpler is quick, easy and puts an extra $150 bucks in your pocket after four hours of facilitated the shaking of single people's rumps on a Saturday night. It ain't art. Why would I take my Mellotron to a gig? Nobody gives a {censored} and it would be a collosal pain in the ass. I don't recommend anybody do it. But personally, when it's me, myself, and I alone in my music room trying to connect with a vibe and express something, it's all analogue and electromechanical and I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Members

When budget is not a problem, threads like this wouldn't make any sense.

:idk:

how does that make sense? I got a hammond a100 for $200 and a rhodes 73 for $200. I paid $1300 for my electro 2.

The rhodes is nothing like the nord. The rhodes is amazing. People who are able to figure that out will get one if they want to.

• Members

I've never played a Rhodes, but I can relate to this

Ive been a piano player my entire life, ever since I was 4, and NOTHING feels or plays the same as a Steinway. I still love other grands and uprights, and I don't mind playing electric piano's, but it's never the same. So I think there is still a market for the Rhodes. People will seek it out, ESPECIALLY jazz musicians. Jazz purists won't put up with modeling, even if it's made by korg or nord and costs $3000

Archived