POD XT Live is Disappointing.. .

umpteen

• Members

Originally posted by doggage5050

the podXT live is ok. now, its nice to setup patches and all that blah, but damn, that's what i found myself doing; twisting and turning rather than practicing/playing. my main quabbles with it are the overdrive stompboxes and the tracking for some of the effects are terrible; the whammy and all the synths are just awful.

Well do it like an amp. Find SOMETHING and just leave it alone!

Justbecause it'sthere doesn't meanyou haveto continually fiddle.

There's always trade-offs, even with the most expensive of tube amps.

• Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

Amazes me that soeone can spend a couple thousand on an amp that will get you a couple of good tones, yet scoff at a couple hundred on a device that can get 5, 10 or 20 or more. depending on your sensibilities.

Quality over quantity.

I would never spend a couple thousand on an amp that gets a "couple good tones." I would spend that for one excellent tone howver.

POD just not doing it for me. Differnt box but not that much differnt than the J-station.

• Members

Ive owned a J Station and they are one of the simpler modelers out there. Very little to tweak more plug and play oriented. And Yes some good tones as well. Ive found the same tones and even more + the added variety of mega parameters on the loaded XT. If you hate tweaking for tones though the Xt is not gonna be your cup o tea. The stock tones with the exception of one or two are very uninspiring. If your looking for Any modeler to compete with the real tube deal you are not going to find one at present time. However I believe the XT to be the most advanced and most widely regarded Modeler besides the Vetta.

• Members

Originally posted by umpteen

Quality over quantity.

I would never spend a couple thousand on an amp that gets a "couple good tones." I would spend that for one excellent tone howver.

POD just not doing it for me. Differnt box but not that much differnt than the J-station.

You misunderstood me, I think.

You are still comparing a pod to a tube amp.

Completely different things.

Did you type that correctly? You would spend a couple thousanddoolars forone excellent tone?

Pods and the like HAVE "quality". It depends on a lot of factors wether you find it acceptable or not. The way you tweak it is important. I find less is best, for th emost part.

I think the amp you plug it inot is important. I've been blessed with a BF Fender Twin...takes anything I putin front and makes it sound great, with some good tweaking.

If the J Station works for you, don't sweat it. I prefer my Tonelab SE to all the pods and korgs. Just a preference, not to say everything else sucks.

• Members
Originally posted by V-Type

Ive owned a J Station and they are one of the simpler modelers out there. Very little to tweak more plug and play oriented. And Yes some good tones as well. Ive found the same tones and even more + the added variety of mega parameters on the loaded XT. If you hate tweaking for tones though the Xt is not gonna be your cup o tea. The stock tones with the exception of one or two are very uninspiring. If your looking for Any modeler to compete with the real tube deal you are not going to find one at present time. However I believe the XT to be the most advanced and most widely regarded Modeler besides the Vetta.

I've owned:

Digitech GSP-21 Pro
RP-2000
Tonelab SE
V-amp

to name a few...and I don't think there is a single patch in all the list that wasn't reprogrammed. Factory presets are either underdone or overdone. I supposethey usally try to show off the parameters with overkill?

And ofcourse they all need volume leveled. That one kills me! Why send it from the factory with such different levels?:mad:

• Members

ive had my pod xt bean for about a week and im absolutely floored!!!! its the best modeler out there hands down. you have to sit with it and tweek it, spend some time with it. ive used it on the clean channel on my dsl, through headphones, and through pro tools, and the results are getting better and better. the metal pack is a must have. i still can't believe how good this thing sounds, and these amp models actually react in a similar fashion to their tube amp counterparts. they dont nail the exact tones (obviously), but they come as close as a $400 unit can. the modeling on the roland gt-8 doesnt even come close.

and for what it's worth, every amp sounds COMPLETELY different bro. im with psychodave on this one.

• Members

Umpteen,

I *really* hope you tried using line6 edit/guitar port to tweak settings on your computer. Its WAY easier and more fun to use your mouse and a big computer monitor instead of the tiny display on the PODxt live.

I've played and owned lots of nice gear, and I think you can get lots of good tones for practice/recording with the PODxt. Would I use it live? In a low volume situation, yes. Otherwise, probably not, that's what I have my tube amps for.

• Members

Originally posted by '63-Strat

Umpteen,

I *really* hope you tried using line6 edit/guitar port to tweak settings on your computer. Its WAY easier and more fun to use your mouse and a big computer monitor instead of the tiny display on the PODxt live.

I've played and owned lots of nice gear, and I think you can get lots of good tones for practice/recording with the PODxt. Would I use it live? In a low volume situation, yes. Otherwise, probably not, that's what I have my tube amps for.

Yes!! Using either Line 6 Edit or Guitar Port to tweak patches on your Pod XT makes it sooooo much easier to dial in tones!

I really like the way Guitar Port pulls up a simulated graphic of the amp models, effects, reverbs, mic placements etc...

My only complaint is that the phase shifter (MXR Phase 90 simulation) is rather weak.

But other than that I have been able to dial in some killer tones!

• Members

If you aren't doing it already, try boosting your high gain sounds with the screamer stomp effect, I usually start with it set around 25%, 50%, 25%.

Initially turning it on, I was dissapointed, but after some tweaking, I'm pretty happy with mine, it's definitely a good practice tool if nothing else. Being able to play theough headphones is nice for volume control, and I've been hooking mine up to the power amp of my Supreme XL (I set the pod's output to "combo poweramp) for practice at home when I don't want to fire up the tubes of my Engl.

Try downloading some patches form Line 6, by the way.

Archived