Blues Junior Speaker Upgrade

hammergjh

• Members

how did you manage that many posts here at a music site if you just started playing (if you dont mind me asking)?

by the way a different speaker can make a huge difference. if you are not totally happy with the sound the speaker is a good place to start.

what are looking to get out of this speaker swap? are you looking for less breakup or more breakup at earlier volume levels?

• Members

Originally posted by hammergjh

Who has done this and what kind of results did you get?

Just curious. I'm only a beginner on guitar, so don't flame me.

I'm playing my Gibson ES-333 thru the Blues Jr.

Thanks.

It depends on what you want from your amp. More/less headroom, more/less mids, better OD, better clean, smoother blah blah blah.

What do you wish sounded different? btw, a speaker change won't change the base tonality of your amp. That being said, they do make a difference.

• Members

I'd like a jazzier tone out of the amp. Cleaner and jazzier. More cream, I guess. More balanced and extended, you know, more open.

It sounds a little reserved, right now, muddy, boxy maybe.

I've been playing off and on for 9 years now. But I've only had an electric for a year and a half.

Oh, I'm a bedroom player only. I don't need it to gig.

Keep the ideas coming people, I do appreciate 'em. Except from that putz, Marcy Lord.

• Members

Originally posted by hammergjh

I'd like a jazzier tone out of the amp. Cleaner and jazzier. More cream, I guess. More balanced and extended, you know, more open.

It sounds a little reserved, right now, muddy, boxy maybe.

I've been playing off and on for 9 years now. But I've only had an electric for a year and a half.

Oh, I'm a bedroom player only. I don't need it to gig.

Keep the ideas coming people, I do appreciate 'em. Except from that putz, Marcy Lord.

well,

u can dial in enough high-end in those amps to make mud sound bright. i would go for an eminence swamp thang. HUGE bottom end and is a very, very fendery speaker; it makes everything sound very blackface fenderish, so it should work REALLY well in that amp. the cleans will sound HUGE and open; HUGE fat, tight lows, thick mids and smooth highs. makes OD very, very thick. i think you would like it quite a bit; its my favorite speaker for small or bright sounding amps. it has 102 db efficiency, so its damn loud too; that means witth 15 watts of the blues jr, you could push about 114 db. go to http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ and call them up and order one.

edit: i really can't tell you just how huge this 1x12 sounds....stupid huge.

Archived