I think i just felt an Earthquake in Chicago

ClavAnother

• Members

"It was really scary. It felt like a train was going by our house," Dupont said. "This is not California. This is northern Illinois. We are not supposed to get earthquakes."

very funny, let's face it anywhere ion Earth we can have earthquakes. The Earth's core is still liquid and unstable. When inner core freezes completely we will all fall from our chairs...

Core

The average density of Earth is 5,515 kg/m3. Since the average density of surface material is only around 3,000 kg/m3, we must conclude that denser materials exist within Earth's core. Further evidence for the high density core comes from the study of seismology.

Seismic measurements show that the core is divided into two parts, a solid inner core with a radius of ~1,220 km and a liquid outer core extending beyond it to a radius of ~3,400 km. The solid inner core was discovered in 1936 by Inge Lehmann and is generally believed to be composed primarily of iron and some nickel.

In early stages of Earth's formation about 4.5 billion (4.5

• Members

I lived in southern California for 5 years when in the Air Force in the early to mid 80's. I was in a few ground shakers out there...more exciting than damaging as they only lasted like 2 or 3 seconds.

I moved to Chicago in 1988 and imagine my surprise when only after like 6 months there, there was a tremor! I had thought I was done with that...little did I know there was a major fault line right in that area. :freak:

Archived