Reasons NOT to buy an Ibanez RG?

SeraphSlaughter

• Members
Originally posted by 17 Tubes

I tried to like a RG550. When I compared the build, playability and tone to the import Parker, there was just NO comparison.

I must say I am used to a carved top, so that was part of the problem. Thetrem, IMHO, sucked. It satyed in tune okay, it just didn't FEEL like a good solid trem bridge. And if you didn't have an allen wrench with a small elbow on it, it was hard as {censored} to get it in there to back out the blocks.

I did play another RG550, and it was a bit better, Still no comparison at all to the USA Jacksons, Hamers and ESP's...so I am just going to save my money for a super strat by one of them.

+1 :thu:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you want to get real about a killer Ibanez, look for a used RG421. It`s the MIJ precurser to the newer MIK RG321. I bought mine NOS at my local dealer after they were discontinued and it`s a killer guitar. All the hardware is high quality. Hell, even the pickup mounting rings are metal. Also the newer RG`s have the ergo neck joint. The best bolt-on neck joint available in their price range.

I didn`t care too much for the stock pups and replaced them with EMG`s(81/60). It sounded sweet with the actives in it. I decided to switch over to EVO`s and can`t wait to try them out.

Over-all I`m really happy with mine. It`s my third Ibanez RG over the last 15 years. I`ve owned a RG550, a RG570 and the RG421. All were/are killer guitars.

Jackson also makes some great guitars. I`ve owned a few of those too. I think they compare pretty evenly with the RG`s. Depending on how you like your guitar to feel and play. Also the obvious differences in shape, hardware and electronics. Both companies make very nice guitars at all price ranges. You just have to try a bunch out and see which one you like best.

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by Snakebite20

Ibanez is WAY overpriced if you ask me.

Their japaneese build quality doesn't even come close to my ESP and both are japan made and cost about the same.

They live (i.e make lots of money) on endorsements and hype, but the real deal is really ESP (or even Caparison it seems) for a nicely made Japan axe.

Of course, I'll always prefer an AMERICAN MADE axe no matter how good japan is.

ESP doesn't make any Japanese guitars anywhere near the price Ibanez does, unless you're talkinga bout LTDs... but they're all Korean.

They're not really in the same price bracket.

• Members
Originally posted by DirtyBird

ESP doesn't make any Japanese guitars anywhere near the price Ibanez does, unless you're talkinga bout LTDs... but they're all Korean.

Uh? :confused:
I'm not talking about LTD at all, I'm talking Ibanez Prestige High End against ESP.

I couldn't care less for Ibanezes that are not prestige and LTD guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by DirtyBird

I don't mind buying a cheap guitar every now and then. The wallet rules, most of the time. But if I am looking for specifics, playability, build, cosmetics, sound, and I feel the USA gear is superior, then I'll justr save my money for what I REALLY want.

Sure there are different price brackets. But "Settling" for something that isn't for you isn't saving anything.

• Members

I'm not real familiar with Jacksons, but I am familiar with Ibanez. Just from my experience with them, i would have to conclude that if you sell your Jackson for one, the only people who will like you.....are people that do not know you. :D

• Members

1) Saying that basswood in general sounds bad is pretty shortsighted. My biggest gripe with it is how easily it's damaged, but I thought my basswood wolfgangs sounded great, and the Ibanez RGs, while they DO sound kinda generic, are ok with decent pickups.

2) Edge trems are equivalent to floyd roses. If you want to get out the calipers, go ahead... but I've seen more edges that stayed in perfect tune than floyds (and I'm only talking about original floyds here, not licensed or schallers.) Schallers are ok if you need one that is 'shorter' but I'd rather have an edge, personally. Schallers are cheaper imho.

3) Ibanez prestige series are nice. However, you can get the equivalent by purchasing a used Japanese Ibanez and save a lot of money. I currently have two 570s and an old 540 - they play as well as USA Jacksons for a fraction of the cost.

BTW, before someone tells me how uninformed I am, I do own two Japanese ESP MIIs, and have owned several dozen Jacksons. It is only my opinion, but I think it's an informed one.

Pete

• Members
Originally posted by Stratotone

1) Saying that basswood in general sounds bad is pretty shortsighted. My biggest gripe with it is how easily it's damaged, but I thought my basswood wolfgangs sounded great, and the Ibanez RGs, while they DO sound kinda generic, are ok with decent pickups.

2) Edge trems are equivalent to floyd roses. If you want to get out the calipers, go ahead... but I've seen more edges that stayed in perfect tune than floyds (and I'm only talking about original floyds here, not licensed or schallers.) Schallers are ok if you need one that is 'shorter' but I'd rather have an edge, personally. Schallers are cheaper imho.

3) Ibanez prestige series are nice. However, you can get the equivalent by purchasing a used Japanese Ibanez and save a lot of money. I currently have two 570s and an old 540 - they play as well as USA Jacksons for a fraction of the cost.

BTW, before someone tells me how uninformed I am, I do own two Japanese ESP MIIs, and have owned several dozen Jacksons. It is only my opinion, but I think it's an informed one.

Pete

You are sooooooooooooooooo uninformed :rolleyes:

IMO one of the best bang for the buck guitars right now are the older RG 3120 guitars, great sounding and loaded with nice pups.

I have a RG1527 coming, we will have to see how the new stuff is stacking up :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Digital Jams

You are sooooooooooooooooo uninformed
:rolleyes:

IMO one of the best bang for the buck guitars right now are the older RG 3120 guitars, great sounding and loaded with nice pups.

I have a RG1527 coming, we will have to see how the new stuff is stacking up
:thu:

Sweet, I've owned a few prestiges but I paid much less than they usually go for. I couldn't tell any real functional differences between the prestiges and the Japanese 550-560-570s, personally, other than maybe pickups.

Now, if they were the same price, I'd go USA SL2H soloist over the Ibanii every time, but when you can buy 3-4 of the older Japanese Ibanez for the same price as a used SL2H, it certainly muddies the water. :)

Pete

• Members
Originally posted by Stratotone

Sweet, I've owned a few prestiges but I paid much less than they usually go for. I couldn't tell any real functional differences between the prestiges and the Japanese 550-560-570s, personally, other than maybe pickups.

Now, if they were the same price, I'd go USA SL2H soloist over the Ibanii every time, but when you can buy 3-4 of the older Japanese Ibanez for the same price as a used SL2H, it certainly muddies the water.
:)

Pete

I picked up my old 3120 for $500 with HSC shipped, fantasic playing guitar and very thick sounding. Yeah new I am all over a SLH2 as well.

Archived