PHAT-108 oh my....

shaft9000

• Members

I don't think they are trying to fool anyone into believing it is a real piece of hardware. Somewhere in the broken German-to-English translation I get the idea that "before to construct" means this is just an information-collecting survey.

I got that and responded the same. I just meant how serious can it be if the image is just thrown together. It was like they were basing the weight of the validity of the whole thing on the image when a behringer logo would have worked fine IMHO.

• Members

I would be VERY surprised if Behringer released an analog synth. I would think a cheap crappy VA or rompler is far more likely though.

I was surprised that Behringer cloned a Dimension C and a couple other BBD-type pedals, since BBD chips were gone at one point. But apparently BBDs are back in production by a couple of companies again (Behringer uses a company called Coolaudio reportedly.)

So who knows.

• Members

I would be VERY surprised if Behringer released an analog synth. I would think a cheap crappy VA or rompler is far more likely though.

I assume they are really talking about a VA, though the article does just say "analogue". People throw that word around a lot.

But if they ever do an analog-TYPE synth I'm sure it will be VA, not real.

• Members

fascinating.

i wouldn't really accept a behringer piece for hard/essential use, but for an inexpensive expansion to the sound palette of the average home studio i think it's a needed product in the market.

it also makes me more comfortable that they're looking at the possibilities of cloning long out of production gear rather than new production gear, as is their usual style. i think they'll find this a difficult prospect unless they can get certain ic's remanufactured, but they've done it before... note the 'cool audio' bucket brigade delay chips that brought analog delays from coveted to an everyman piece of gear.

i'm not afraid of behringer. they're like a music industry catfish, waiting on the bottom for patents to expire and drift down to the river bottom.

harmless unless you get their little whiskers stuck in your hand as you're pulling them into the boat...

• Members

I assume they are really talking about a VA, though the article does just say "analogue".

Well, all musical instruments are "analogue" once they actually produce the sound...I mean, the sound waves travel through the air like anything else and it's "analogue". :D

Wait, I don't want to give their advertising/branding people any ideas....it's confusing enough.

• Members

Well, all musical instruments are "analogue" once they actually produce the sound...I mean, the sound waves travel through the air like anything else and it's "analogue".
:D

Well, not if your keyboard has a digital output...going to a digital input on your computer interface...and you never....never....ever...listen to what you've recorded. I'm feeling existential all of the sudden.

• Members

Well, not if your keyboard has a digital output...going to a digital input on your computer interface...and you never....never....ever...listen to what you've recorded. I'm feeling existential all of the sudden.

But, you have to throw it our right away...because if anyone hears it, it's all of a sudden analogue!

If a digital note is played in a forest and is never played through a speaker...

:freak:

• Members

It'd be nice if they did the research; if there's any company that can crank this out for a low, low price, it's going to be Behringer, and if they don't see a way to make money with it, Roland, Yamaha and Korg won't bother either.

But Phat-108? The 106 wasn't that fat. How about Behrimoog? UliB-Xa? Jupinger 8?

• Members

I doubt Behringer is likely to pull off any analog synth, maybe a crappy VA at best.

Considering all the designs they have cloned over the years I think it could be done. Buy a few Junos, reverse engineer and there you go.

If DSI can do a Mopho keyboard for $800 in the USA, Behringer could probably do the Phat 108 for the same or less and sell a ton of them.

• Members

Considering all the designs they have cloned over the years I think it could be done. Buy a few Junos, reverse engineer and there you go.

The voice chip reverse engineering has already been done, but I hope that in this case the designs are too old to be still encumbered by patents.

I'm more worried about the keyboard and the rest of the build quality.

Archived