The Official "Complain To/About the Mods" Thread

Anderton

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by insurrection

Alright anderton, here's what I have to say about the censorship (which isn't all bad, it just goes too far and I'm about to explain why I feel that way)

Of course there are all walks of life on this board, old and young - but if things are rated PG-13 on television, which is broadcasted into EVERY home, then why can't we have at least the same level of material and vocabulary here? Blood-Belching Vagina, as a term for example, would pass a PG-13 rating with flying colors. Girlie pictures (no nudity) would also pass with flying colors.

This is material broadcasted to millions of people, surely it could be OK for the 5-10,000 or so active members here on HC.

The only thing alot of people are mad about is a mass (and albeit huge) change to their community that was established over a period of years. You must remember, while whoever it is that owns this place technically owns it, but this is OUR community. We're the blood that keeps the bills paid through the advertisements on this board. I think this place, being a community, should be a democracy in the sense that whatever the majority wants, goes - NOT what four dudes sitting in a moderator seat feel is the best for everyone else.

I'm not attacking anyone, this is how I feel, so I said it...for what it's worth

Well,how do you propose they follow what the "our community" wants if that in itself is so much all over the place? Who should they listen to? A lot of the super helpful and knowledgeable folks either don't mess with the forum very much any more or don't come here at all. We all know that the mods and MF has nothing at all to do with that. And why keep laying it on the mods as being dictators? They have rules that are handed to them to try and have the members adhere to. As I see it,their main role is in molding the current rules handed to them far enough to try and appease the majority of folks here while still keeping them close enough to satisfy their bosses. While I'm not the biggest fan of MF as a whole,their ownership certainly has not sent the forums downhill. Look at what you have compared to a few years ago. More smilies,long signatures,you can have your pic as an avatar. Its just silly to think that the guys with the big hats are being unfair. If someone wants their own forum with their own rules,they are free to persue it. Why not try it and see how it works out?

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

A lot of the super helpful and knowledgeable folks either don't mess with the forum very much any more or don't come here at all.

This is all too true, and it's a shame. Whatever happened to Bob...Bob...it's been so long that I can't remember his last name. Ingram! That's it.

• Members
Originally posted by JimAnsell

i don't see what all the big fuss over the mods is.

apart from deleting the girly threads, which sucks, they've done nothing at all that has effected me in the least.

and as far as all those girly threads, as long as they don't get x rated, i don't see what the big deal is.

they're a long running tradition here!

Time to visit the doctor! I'm agreeing with James!:p

• Members

>

These are all excellent suggestions. Thanks.

>

Actually the rules are just basically the same as for a zillion other internet forums. We didn't start from scratch. We did have lawyers look it over to make sure it was all okay, and they added some language we needed. But the rules were not handed down from MF, they're fairly typical terms of use for internet forums.

>

Just to reiterate, "the bosses" really haven't exercised any kind of pressure as to how we should handle the forums.

>

Harmony Central is a separate company, and MF treats it that way. We have a tremendous amount of autonomy here. For example, adding avatars was a decision by one of the mods; he just went ahead and did it.

If you have a problem with the forums, there are really only two entities you can blame: the members of the forums and to a lesser extent (at least IMHO), the moderators. No one else really has a say about these forums are conducted.

• Members

Hey, a quick heads up...I'm concerned that if this thread gets too big, it will become unwieldy to read, and won't provide its intended function (humorous title notwithstanding) of providing a place for Q & A about the site and how it's moderated.

So at some point, I'll delete some posts that are cool but don't really contribute to the purpose of the thread. Like I really thought the picture of Nikki's gang was funny, so I'll leave it up a while longer so people can get a laugh, but eventually I'll trim this thread down a bit so it doesn't become unreadable.

Don't worry, I'll leave in the complaints. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Loghead

This is all too true, and it's a shame. Whatever happened to Bob...Bob...it's been so long that I can't remember his last name. Ingram! That's it.

Ya,we even got to see him get married on this forum! I wonder how they are doing these days?

• Members

Craig,
I know that I am going to be lynched here but I don't care honestly. At the very best I am expecting to get my rocket
shot off.

Anyway, I agree with what the mods are doing here... I can
see not having vulgarities in the thread titles themselves.
Inside the thread, you guys pretty much let anything go as
far as language. That is fine too.

Spam threads, I like the idea of a spam forum... That is great.
I also LOVE the idea of EMERGENCY SPAM to be posted in the
main amp forum. That is a great help at times. Truly it is!

The girlie threads? I can find much better pics in so many places
on the net it isn't funny. IF I choose to look at girls, those will
be the places I go...

I think you guys are doing a great job in very tough circumstances here now.

Thanks guys!

Gary

• Members

And I would like to express my thanks for the generally civil tone here. I understand that to a lot of you, some of the things that happen may seem arbitrary. That is why I believe that having a place to explain what's going on may not cause you to agree with everything we do, but you will at least understand why they're done.

Please understand we would be thrilled to never have to delete a thread or ban a member. We would like nothing better. But like cops who HAVE to respond to a domestic dispute whether they want to or not, if there's a problem, we HAVE to deal with it. That's our job. The only question is the best WAY to deal with it, and as I think I've made clear, it's not always a clear-cut set of choices.

It has been my experience that the people who are most upset are very passionate about these forums. I understand that, because I'M very passionate about these forums as well. So from the get-go, despite any differences, we also have a MAJOR element in common.

Once people understand that my actions are designed to protect and preserve these forums, and are not just an arbitrary exercise of power, they tend to be much more understanding of the big picture.

With very few exceptions, you guys are neither stupid nor evil, so I believe nothing bad can happen from stating the facts and letting you draw your own conclusions. I don't guarantee infalliability. I do guarantee that I take this job seriously and do it to the absolute best of my abilities.

• Members

Originally posted by riffy

Craig,

I know that I am going to be lynched here but I don't care honestly. At the very best I am expecting to get my rocket

shot off.

Anyway, I agree with what the mods are doing here... I can

see not having vulgarities in the thread titles themselves.

Inside the thread, you guys pretty much let anything go as

far as language. That is fine too.

Spam threads, I like the idea of a spam forum... That is great.

I also LOVE the idea of EMERGENCY SPAM to be posted in the

main amp forum. That is a great help at times. Truly it is!

The girlie threads? I can find much better pics in so many places

on the net it isn't funny. IF I choose to look at girls, those will

be the places I go...

I think you guys are doing a great job in very tough circumstances here now.

Thanks guys!

Gary

'

No lynching here! I agree!

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

I would like to file a complaint regarding the deletion of posts in this thread.

I would like to file a grievance regarding your filing of a complaint.

I feel that it treads upon my rights as a free standing eggplant.

• Members
Originally posted by Anderton

>

Just to make things perfectly clear: WE DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH OT THREADS AS A MATTER OF GENERAL PRINCIPLE. A lot of them are amusing, some are heart-rending (like the guy who lost his daughter, it was fabulous the way the community pulled together to send him good wishes), and some are very interesting...the one with the pix of North Korea was fascinating.

Some people DO have a problem with OT theads, and they want this place to be Amps only. WE DO NOT AGREE WITH THAT. And of course, they think we're fascist mods who don't listen to the opinions of the community
:)
You can't win no matter what you do, believe me.

So let's do
reductio ad absurdum
. A forum that's only about amps would be pretty sterile and we don't want that. But a forum that's only OT would defeat the purpose of this being here. So, the "happy medium" lies somewhere in between, and someone has to make that call.

Some are easy: If there's an OT thread that engenders a ton of complaints or violates the terms of use, it goes. If not, the odds are 99% that it will stay.

A simple look at the forum topics would show that OT topics are by no means deleted. There are a ton of them. But SOME OT topics are.

Ok...I'm cool with that... We seem to be on the same page... :D
I got nothing more to add... :D

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

I got tired of dealing with all the various threads whining about the mods. I'd give a long answer to a legit question in one thread, then the same question would come up with another thread...and so on. So, here's your centralized place for brave internet tough guys to spout off on how the mods are fascist bastards, as well as a place for rational people to ask legitimate questions and offer constructive criticisms about how to deal with the occasional problems that crop up here.

Well, here's my take on it: I don't give a rat's ass what anyone

thinks of whatever I might post. If I get banned, well...tough

{censored}, right? TGP decided they could do without someone who

actually knows electronics and brooks no crap from audiophools

who think $1500 AC line cords can do magical stuff to AC power

that's arrived in your wall after traveling through several hundred

miles of bird{censored}-coated corroded copper and aluminum. Well, I

reckon they're entitled to believe all the {censored}in' fairy tales they'd

like, and havin' me around to debunk 'em made the poor deluded

bastards nervous. I was awarded the Royal Order of the Boot

while my post total was still in two digits. {censored}in' cork-sniffers

can kiss my fat ass.

I reckon there's plenty of gear-freak websites, but there's only

one Lord Valve. I'll be who I am, and anyone who don't like

it can go fish. I got street cred; if that ain't enough, sign up

some more bedroom jammers and give my ass the heave-ho.

Lord Valve

The Genuine Article

• Members
Originally posted by Lord Valve

Well, here's my take on it: I don't give a rat's ass what anyone

thinks of whatever I might post. If I get banned, well...tough

{censored}, right? TGP decided they could do without someone who

actually knows electronics and brooks no crap from audiophools

who think $1500 AC line cords can do magical stuff to AC power

that's arrived in your wall after traveling through several hundred

miles of bird{censored}-coated corroded copper and aluminum. Well, I

reckon they're entitled to believe all the {censored}in' fairy tales they'd

like, and havin' me around to debunk 'em made the poor deluded

bastards nervous. I was awarded the Royal Order of the Boot

while my post total was still in two digits. {censored}in' cork-sniffers

can kiss my fat ass.

I reckon there's plenty of gear-freak websites, but there's only

one Lord Valve. I'll be who I am, and anyone who don't like

it can go fish. I got street cred; if that ain't enough, sign up

some more bedroom jammers and give my ass the heave-ho.

Lord Valve

The Genuine Article

Give em hell Lord Valve!!!!!!! :thu:

Archived