best amp for 200-300ish range

Tripdancer

• Members

I'm looking into upgradeing my amp [i'm currently playing through a Sterio].

I was looking into 3 amps.

1. Fender FM212R, thats a little out of my price range, but if its worth it, i'd strech.

2. Kustom Quad 65w, This is the lead runner for me, i guess. [does anyone know if it comes with a foot switch?]

3. Behringer GMX212, People said that this amp kinda sucks, but I like the price and the effects.

any suggestions?

• Members

Vox AD30VT. The valve reactor using a 12AX7 tube gives it excellent sound, and you can dial down the output level to get good sound at lower levels. It has amp models and effects. Even the next model up, the AD50VT, is close to your price range.

I also got a Fender Cyber Champ for $299 new, but I think those are gone now.

• Members
Originally posted by Tripdancer

I'm looking into upgradeing my amp [i'm currently playing through a Sterio].

I was looking into 3 amps.

1. Fender FM212R, thats a little out of my price range, but if its worth it, i'd strech.

2. Kustom Quad 65w, This is the lead runner for me, i guess. [does anyone know if it comes with a foot switch?]

3. Behringer GMX212, People said that this amp kinda sucks, but I like the price and the effects.

any suggestions?

You realize it helps a lot to know what the amp will be used for and what tones you migrate towards?

• Members

ok, well I suppose my style/tone would range from heavy metal, to Vai, to Jimi, to punk and to bluesish stuff, so a wide range.

I Don't like the Vox stuff at all, my friend has one, and I just dont think it suits me.

my brother has a 15w roland cube, and if the 60w version is like it, ehhh i can't say i'd buy that one.

Also, I forgot to say, I'm looking for something with high watts, so I can play with my drummer, and odviously a high watted tube amp is through the roof in price. I dont mind getting a SS amp, and I have some effects, so take that for what its worth.

• Members

ok, well I suppose my style/tone would range from heavy metal, to Vai, to Jimi, to punk and to bluesish stuff, so a wide range.

I Don't like the Vox stuff at all, my friend has one, and I just dont think it suits me.

my brother has a 15w roland cube, and if the 60w version is like it, ehhh i can't say i'd buy that one.

Also, I forgot to say, I'm looking for something with high watts, so I can play with my drummer, and odviously a high watted tube amp is through the roof in price. I dont mind getting a SS amp, and I have some effects, so take that for what its worth.

Peavey Bravo is in that price range and probably the most obvious choice,along with a Triumph 60.

• Members

Ive heard bad things about the Fender FM series, but have never played one. In general Fender solid states arent the best for heavy distortion.

I played the Behringer briefly and thought it was ok sounding. I have read that it isnt very loud. I dont know if there is any truth to this as i didnt turn it up much.

Ive never played the Kustom so i have nothing for you there.

You might try looking for the various Crate Xt/GT/GX 212 combos. I know people say bad things about them, but for your price range and styles you want to cover you could do much worse. There are good enough sounding amps and will get loud enough to play with a drummer, plus you can get some good tones out of them. I personally gigged a lot with a Crate gt-212 with and without soundsystems, and with some loud drummers without ever having a problem with being loud enough.

Also i personally have never been a fan of onboard effects. Its much better to buy the effects you want in stompbox. Also amps without effects are usually cheaper.

• Members

Of the 3 you chose i would go with the Behringer GMX 2X12! I have a 2X10 and while the cleans are not that good (its sorta a tweed sound) the distortions are REALLY nice IMO! 2 channels, comes with a footswitch and the effects are ok (not great but not bad either)..

I dislike the FF solid state stuff, i would also check out a roland or vox 15 or 30 amp (valvetronix series) but if you must choose the 3 your thinking about, get the Behringer, that lil sucker is pretty nice IMO and also fairly loud!

• Members

Trust me, if you value your hearing, playing an SS amp loud with a drummer is not the way to go.

So, another +1 for the Valveking used :)

Archived