WOT: RANT..."No-kill" animal shelters can...

ratter

• Members

....suck my balls!

Some of you may remember this thread.

Nobody is looking for this dog. I'm 99.9% certain that somebody just drove out here to the country to dump him. So I've spent the last week calling and visiting every "no-kill" animal shelter in about a 40 mile radius. A few of them are sympathetic, but useless. Some of them are just useless. And the rest of them have been downright rude.

They are ALL full, or so they say. :rolleyes: Even the local county Humane Society. It's funny to hear how welcoming and helpful they sound up until the point that I tell them that this is a big (100lb+) dog that looks like a lab/rott mix. I have a feeling they would be singing a different tune if I was looking to place a 25-lb cocker spaniel. Nevermind that this is a healthy, friendly, neutered, and trained dog, and the cocker-spaniel could be an incontinent, nasty little bastard (like some of the ones I've seen that the shelters HAVE accepted).

I could have just let him run loose instead of picking him up. Could have let him get hit by a car. Could have let him wander onto my property and then shot him. But no, I try to do the right thing and correct some other bastard's mistake and I get {censored} all help from anybody else that is supposed to be in this business.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

maybe just put up flyers at local pet shops, walmarts, etc. with a picture of the dog; free to a good home

Well so far I've only put up "Dog Found" flyers, which have actually resulted in a couple people calling who were interested in adopting him. But nothing came of it.

That's the other {censored}ty part of this scenario. Frankly, I'm a bit wary of having another individual that I don't know adopting him directly from me. Especially in this day and age...

It hasn't been a problem yet since nobody has wanted him, but...

Example...one of the people that called said they might want him. So I offered to drive him over so they could meet him. I get there and it actually turns out they live in an apartment with kids and other pets. None of my business, but IMO, not really the kind of place for a big dog. They didn't end up wanting him anyway, so it's a moot point, but what if I had given him to them, and then he bites a kid? They'd probably sue me.

People suck.

• Members

true dat man

that's a {censored}ty situation to be in i know

we had a stray cat get into our house a few years back, stayed hidden under furniture (scared of my dog) for nearly a week, we finally lured him out to feed him...he ended up staying and made a fine housepet

in the meantime our dog started getting these really bad rashes on his skin, and then started scabbing up...we took him to the vote to discover that our dog had gotten fleas from the cat, he was also allergic to fleas and deadly allergic to most cats:( we didn't know it but our dog was having severe breathing problems, and probably would've died had the cat been around much longer

dog had been a part of the family for 6 years, so the cat had to go...it was hell trying to find a home for it, and keeping him isolated from our dog in the process

• Members

Its unbelievable how many people can be irresponsible bastards when it comes to pets. Thats a beautiful dog. Good on you for taking him in, even if temporarily. My mom has a 90 lb. chocolate lab who is a real sweetheart. Someone, somewhere needs that dog. Good luck.

Please people, if you can't afford to get your pet spayed or neutered, you can't afford a pet.

• Members

Man, if we weren't so far apart, I'd take him. I've been looking for a dog, I didn't want to get something that'd be big and have to train him myself, at least not my first dog, but when you said he was trained and well-behaved, I was sold.

If you want to get their attention... do a Save Toby kinda thing. "Pay me or the bunny gets it". :) It'd be nice if you could get the shelters that are turning you away on PETAs radar, maybe they'll threaten to kill their children like they did Ted Nugent's.

• Members

There's one more shelter I know of, that the Humane Society tells me "takes everything". They're closed today, so I'll call them tomorrow. Cross your fingers for me.

I wouldn't even mind a shelter that isn't a "no-kill" shelter because I think this is a very adoptable dog...

My dad lives not too far from here. And ironically, the shelter that was the least amount of help and the rudest was one that my dad donates a big chunk of money to every winter. I didn't tell them that or "use" that when I talked to them, but I found it funny. I told him to keep his money from now on....

• Members
Originally posted by veil

Sounds like you have a new friend.
:wave:

If I didn't have a 16-month old daughter, another baby due next month, and a wife that's allergic to dogs, I'd gladly keep him around.

I could conceivably keep him outside, but I don't know what we'd do when winter comes. And I don't want to just delay the inevitable, if that's what it's going to come to eventually anyway...

• Members
Originally posted by StevieRaveOn

Does DHL do dogs?
:)
I know UPS would break his spine, that would be no bueno...

man a friend of mine used to work for ups phone tracking service, he literally had a lady freak out on the phone one day because he told her that her dog had probably died (the lady had shipped her dog from NY to CA) :freak:

• Members
Originally posted by cobrahead1030

man a friend of mine used to work for ups phone tracking service, he literally had a lady freak out on the phone one day because he told her that her dog had probably died (the lady had shipped her dog from NY to CA)
:freak:

WTF!?!? Isn't against the rules? I was joking? This mouth-breather actually shipped a dog CROSS COUNTRY?

• Members
Originally posted by ratter

....suck my balls!

Some of you may remember
this thread.

Nobody is looking for this dog. I'm 99.9% certain that somebody just drove out here to the country to dump him. So I've spent the last week calling and visiting every "no-kill" animal shelter in about a 40 mile radius. A few of them are sympathetic, but useless. Some of them are just useless. And the rest of them have been downright rude.

They are ALL full, or so they say.
:rolleyes:
Even the local county Humane Society. It's funny to hear how welcoming and helpful they sound up until the point that I tell them that this is a big (100lb+) dog that looks like a lab/rott mix. I have a feeling they would be singing a different tune if I was looking to place a 25-lb cocker spaniel. Nevermind that this is a healthy, friendly, neutered, and trained dog, and the cocker-spaniel could be an incontinent, nasty little bastard (like some of the ones I've seen that the shelters HAVE accepted).

I could have just let him run loose instead of picking him up. Could have let him get hit by a car. Could have let him wander onto my property and then shot him. But no, I try to do the right thing and correct some other bastard's mistake and I get {censored} all help from anybody else that is supposed to be in this business.

:mad:

No pun intended, but you are barking up the wrong tree. You need to get plugged into dog rescues. In some cases, people will pick your dog up and trade off transporting him across the country to a new owner.

• Members

Originally posted by scottosan

Dont get mad at the shelters, get mad at irresponsible pet owners.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love to have some quality time with the douchebag that dumped him in the first place too...

• Members

Originally posted by scottosan

Dont get mad at the shelters, get mad at irresponsible pet owners.

If they are hesitant at allowing him to bring in a dog because of it's breed, then yeah, I'd say getting mad at the shelter is warranted.

Pete

• Members

Running a no-kill is a difficult, difficult job. They usually are very far down the funding chain, and often run by well meaning, kind hearted amateurs. A good friend of mine and her family runs one, and seeing the decisions they have to make is tough, and to be honest, they just sometimes have to make decisions they aren;t prepared for.

So I totally understand your rant, and would certainly agree with your frustration, I just ask that you understand that many of those shelters are run by people with a less than professional attitude, and cut em some slack for at least trying to help save some wonderful animals.

I wish things worked better in that department, too.

I hope you find a good home for that loverly pooch! :love:

• Members

I see someone beat me to it. You should look into some of the dog rescue organizations. They often have foster homes where the dog can stay temporarily until someone permanently adopts it.

And whatever you do, don't advertise "free to a good home". Charge a small adoption fee like 25 or 30 bucks. A lot of people will pick up free dogs then turn around and sell them to animal testing centers. If someone asks if they can have it for free, explain to them why you're charging the fee. A real dog lover should have no problem with it.

Archived