WOT: RANT..."No-kill" animal shelters can...

ratter

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

If they are hesitant at allowing him to bring in a dog because of it's breed, then yeah, I'd say getting mad at the shelter is warranted.

Pete

That's pretty much the point, yeah. The last shelter I took him to, for example, all of the employees/volunteers were fawning over him. They were all petting him and going on and on about how well behaved he is and what a good dog he is and so on and so forth. Then after an hour of that it's basically, 'ok, leave your name and number and we'll call you if we hear anything.' They had all of the adult dogs outside running loose in a fenced-in yard. And it is probably not a coincidence that none of them were more than half his size.

Other places just seem to presume from the get-go that you are trying to dump a dog on them and clearly don't believe me when I tell them that this isn't even my dog....

• Members

It's over an hour away, but I might have found a shelter for him. I'll find out tomorrow. If not, I'll see if I can rig something up so he can stay outside (I'm going out of town the second half of this week) until I get back...buy him a little more time...we just went for a long walk. No leash necessary.

Somebody's got to want this dog!

• Members

My dog came straight from animal control.

Apparently the local "no-kill" shelter wouldn't take her! What a crock of {censored}! She's the greatest dog ever too... very very affectionate with everything she meets. But if left up to the "no-kill" shelter, they would rather her be put down by animal control than have to deal with her. Oh the irony....

I feel ya ratter!

jenna3.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by shredhead666

My dog came straight from animal control.

Apparently the local "no-kill" shelter wouldn't take her! What a crock of {censored}! She's the greatest dog ever too... very very affectionate with everything she meets.

jenna3.jpg

How did you find out about her? My local animal control said they basically sit on them for 48 hours and if nobody calls looking for them, that's it...

• Members

I understand your dilemma. And I know that sometimes we have to do difficult things.

But isn't killing animals kind of "anti" shelter? I mean what the point of HAVING a shelter if you just have to kill them anyway? You go through the expense of saving them, feeding them, sheltering, vaccines(?), and then you get attached, then you have to have the extra expense of "humanely putting them down".

If I were to run a shelter, it would be just that. A place where they either get adopted or live. IF you get full, well...you get full. Not sure I could kill an animal because people are stupid.

I also understand your feeling that they suspect you to be the culprit. I'm sure they heard it ALL before, and it's tough to be that trusting of people when you see all the dirtbags.

Good bless ya ratter. Take care, you're doing the right thing.

• Members
Originally posted by ratter

How did you find out about her? My local animal control said they basically sit on them for 48 hours and if nobody calls looking for them, that's it...

Well here's the thing, I work for the city's IT department. I'd been looking for a dog for a little while, and spoke with the local animal control officers often. They told me they had her and that I could come down and take a look. They had another pit bull too, but unfortunately that one displayed malicious aggression instead of playful aggression - and that one they wouldn't release and had to be put down. I would have taken him too if it weren't for all that. The other one though, couldn't be a sweeter dog and loves everyone. So I took her home and she's never been happier. The damn thing's tail just won't quit wagging. :)

I came and got her literally an hour before she was to be put down.

• Members
Originally posted by StevieRaveOn

WTF!?!? Isn't against the rules? I was joking? This mouth-breather actually shipped a dog CROSS COUNTRY?

i thought it was a joke, but this seriously happened...my friend quit that job the same week

no shipping company would willingly do this either, she failed to inform them of what was in the package :freak:

• Members
Originally posted by cobrahead1030

i thought it was a joke, but this seriously happened...my friend quit that job the same week

no shipping company would willingly do this either, she failed to inform them of what was in the package
:freak:

Yet she STILL got made at THEM for her dog dying? Wow, everyday, I'm getting closer and closer to supporting population control...

• Members

So, he could ship me the dog via Delta or AA?
:)

Yes...alot of those rescue shelters do that kind of stuff. When we lost our first minn pinn I looked into some of those shelters and found that shipping could be arranged.

• Members

Sweet, any idea of the cost?

Not sure, but maybe call one of the airlines. I think Ratter is in PA so they could probably shoot you a price. You'd probably have to spring for some kind of a pet carrier/crate of some sort.

• Members

I know exactly how you feel, and it's sad as hell. All my dogs have been rescue/shelter animals and have been a huge source of happiness to me.

I found this sweet girl wandering in an alley one day. Gentle, kind...but looked like she was part "pit". Took her to a shelter and signed her in. After the paperwork was done they basically told me they weren't gonna do {censored} as far as trying to find her a home. (A basic assumption I had, given that I've gotten some great dogs from shelters). They said they'd hold her for a while though. I contacted damn near every rescue organization I could think of. NONE of them returned my messages.

Tried to do the right thing and ended up leaving her with an uncertain future. I'm almost sure she got put to sleep. {censored}ing heartless bastards. Next time I'll just fill her belly and let her take her chances.

• Members

We've got two Alaskan Malamutes that we 'rescued' from an unwanting home...we're trying to find homes for them now. :|

Fun times...Talk to some people who are real interested in 'both' dogs..and then when they get here they're 'We didn't realize there were two of them...we'll have to think about it."

• Members

When I was living in the country, I went to the pound to get a dog and found one who looked into my eyes and right into my soul.. i said, you and me, buddy, we're outta here. While we're at it, anyone else you want to spring?

He said yeah, there's this crazy little girl a couple cells down...

So I got them both. One of THE BEST things I've ever done. A foxhound and an Aussie Shepherd, both mixes. The sweetest, smartest dogs.

Good luck, feintguitarist. I hope it turns out well for you.

Mike, good luck to you and your dog as well. What an emotional rollercoaster.

Ken

• Members

Believe me, the thought of keeping him has crossed my mind. But man, talk about bad timing. The aforementioned kid situation. And then my wife is allergic to dogs. We already have 3 cats in our house (which ain't big.) And we're going on three different trips in the next month or so where we'll be gone for days at a time.

I actually used to have a little dog kennel, but since I didn't have or plan on having any dogs, I gave it away to somebody a while back.

{censored}...

• Members

dude, that sucks. i can't believe that somebody just dumped the dog like that. i never could understand how somebody could could mistreat or abandon an animal. just a couple of days ago, i heard a scratching sound just outside of my door while i was grilling some chicken breasts. was this pretty as all hell cat, gray with black stripes...almost looked like a miniature gray tiger, so to speak. i reached down to pet it, and the thing was so scrawny and malnourished that i could count his ribs with just a very light touch. i took a chicken breast off of the grill, cooled it down really fast so it wouldn't burn him, cut it into pieces, and sat it down in front of him. i've never seen a cat eat anything that large that fast. i was glad to have fed him, but wanted to kick his owner square in the scrote.

• Members

Put the dog in your car. Drive up to one of the phony animal shelters you called. Walk in with the dog. Tell them that you found it wandering loose on the road - and that they NEED to take it from you.

Don't allow them a way out. Get the job done mang, and don't take "no" for an answer from one of those f-ed up shelters.

• Members

Originally posted by Teleplayer

Put the dog in your car. Drive up to one of the phony animal shelters you called. Walk in with the dog. Tell them that you found it wandering loose on the road - and that they NEED to take it from you.

Don't allow them a way out. Get the job done mang, and don't take "no" for an answer from one of those f-ed up shelters.

I've already visited two, and called about two dozen. But yeah, I hear you, and that's the plan tomorrow. I'm going to take him to the shelter I mentioned and do my best to force them to take him, if necessary. According to their website, the shelter I have in mind accepts all animals. So that at least gives me some hope. If they take him, they'll be glad they did, because I'll gladly load them up with all the supplies I can afford to buy them...

Archived