So I got my 2006 Custom shop LP last night...

Patrickjp

• Members

And the action is whacked!

Everything above the 12th fret is like 2 inches off the fretboard and everything below is perfect LOL

Gonna need a setup badly (kinda figured that was coming)

Also, this guitar is light.. I mean waaaaaaay lighter compared to my Standard and my Camo Bullseye. It almost feels .. dare I say *cheap*!!!??!??

So then I plug it in, and why the hell Gibson would ship a 3k guitar with these crap 490t & 498 pickups is beyond me. How bout loading them up with some 59 classics?? geez, these things have a tendecy to mud out on the bottom end. And no, I'm not a "scoop the mids dude, chuggah chuggah" guy...

Anyway, I figured I'd bring it to band practice and give it a fair test in a band situation...my feelings got turned around a bit, I started to have some fun with it and appreciated the craftsmanship and playability (below the 12th fret for now haha)

Overall my first impressions were not very good but the guitar kinda grew on me the more I played it.

More to come after the setup :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by JohnRageOn

To me seems like a nice LP Custom and the fact that it's lightweight is perfect because they resonate better contrary to popular belief!

Add and a set of BurstBuckers and you'll be on fire!!!
:thu:

Congrats

thanks man,
I did notice massive sustain.... I mean massive!

• Members

Damn! You got over the net though eh? LP's are one style of guitar Id have to play many of before I settled down on one. And while thats true for Strats as well, I find Im a lot more picky with LP's because of the bigger neck shapes, and heavier bodies.

Hopefully when you fix the action it will *feel* much better. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Patrickjp

So then I plug it in, and why the hell Gibson would ship a 3k guitar with these crap 490t & 498 pickups is beyond me. How bout loading them up with some 59 classics?? geez, these things have a tendecy to mud out on the bottom end. And no, I'm not a "scoop the mids dude, chuggah chuggah" guy...

They ship them like that because they know you're going to rip them out and send them to Wolfetone for the Marshallhead rewind....you won't be dissapointed.....

Sweet guitar BTW :thu:

Steve E

• Members
Originally posted by telephant

Damn! You got over the net though eh? LP's are one style of guitar Id have to play many of before I settled down on one. And while thats true for Strats as well, I find Im a lot more picky with LP's because of the bigger neck shapes, and heavier bodies.

Hopefully when you fix the action it will *feel* much better.

dude, I felt the exact same way until I ordered my Camo Bulleye.. It is the best playing guitar for my hands yet! And then I go and order another LP sight unseen (my triple pickup 1960 re-issue) and THAT plays like a dream! Totally diffrent than my Camo, MUCH faster neck..

Then this LP, it's kinda a mix between the 2.. but like I said, it grew on me within a 1/2 hour of playing it. I think I'm gonna love it 100% :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Digital Jams

Hey Pat!!!!!!

Nice looking geetar, get that thing setup and some proper pups bro!

Oh yeah, your best clip was with a superstrat still
;)

www.rig-talk.com

Come on over.

I will stop over there and you KNOW this baby is gonna get strapped with some screamnin tight ass pups!!
That was a JEM btw, not the superstrat ;)

• Members
Originally posted by JohnRageOn

To me seems like a nice LP Custom and the fact that it's lightweight is perfect because they resonate better contrary to popular belief!

Add and a set of BurstBuckers and you'll be on fire!!!

Congrats

I hate burst buckers... 498T and 490R have enhanced mids for cut tightness and a smooth tone... Those pups rock..

Burstbuckers sound like a bunch if toneless buzz fuzz to my ears...

I just bought a LP standard this week and I want to rip that junk fast as I can't even enjoy the guitar with that crap in it...

• Members
Originally posted by * velcro-fly *

They ship them like that because they know you're going to rip them out and send them to Wolfetone for the Marshallhead rewind....you won't be dissapointed.....

Sweet guitar BTW

Steve E

thanks Steve, this baby is a real looker.. shiny, white and gold, can't go wrong!

• Members

Originally posted by xgxmanx

I hate burst buckers... 498T and 490R have enhanced mids for cut tightness and a smooth tone... Those pups rock..

Burstbuckers sound like a bunch if toneless buzz fuzz to my ears...

I just bought a LP standard this week and I want to rip that junk fast as I can't even enjoy the guitar with that crap in it...

I had burstbuckers in my SG and I loved em bro! They were tight and classic sounding, no mud, no fuzz! However, I had the BB2, and it lacked some balls.. without a doubt

• Members

Nice axe....

I agree that lespauls are awsome guitars, but you are brave ordering over the net.... Ive tried tons of LP's that played like crap!

Nicest one I ever played was a Goldtop les paul classic double cutaway, thing was gorgeous and played like buttA!

ps - my dream is to get les paul 7 string custom from gibson, someday.....:D

• Members
Originally posted by * velcro-fly *

Sweet guitar BTW

Steve E

Those are some kickass pups!:cool:

Archived