Social Security Complaints.

rememberduane

• Members

So I'm 18. I know that when I get older, there's not going to be Social Security for me. Our government is dipping into current Social Security reserves to pay for military spending. It's really annoying that the majority of the withholdings from my paycheck goes to SS.

Honestly, we need an SS overhaul, but privatizing is a joke.

Just felt like venting.

Were the government more responsible with our money, and not spending 478 billion per year on military/defense BEFORE Afganistan and Iraq, then I might feel more comfortable. But right now, I am just sickened with the apportionment of our governmental spendings, and it really annoys me that my taxes go to seemingly irresponsible and superfluous military spending.

For example, the next largest military spender is the UK, at one TENTH of what we spend. The highest POSSIBLE threat is China, at under 1/10, or Saudi Arabia at around 1/18.

This, in my mind, is superfluous.

I feel like going Thoreau on their asses. :D

Edit: Oh, and the EU COMBINED, spends ~2/5 of what we spend on military. And that's our expenditure BEFORE miltary discretionary spending. Which is half of our TOTAL discretionary spending. :eek: And discretionary spending is ONE THIRD OF THE FEDERAL BUDGET. So 1/6 + the 4% in original allocated funds = over 20% of the federal budget.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Tele The Truth

:idea:
You really have no idea about how social security works do you?

I do, I just felt like bitching about the budget at the same time.

I understand that the OASDI program, for the OA part, keeps track of my earnings throughout my lifetime. I am then entitled to benefits when I reach "normal" retirement age (67 I believe is the min age for those born after 1960), in proportion with the withholdings kept from my earnings.

The problem is, in case you haven't noticed, the Bush Administration has dipped into these funds for military spending. They have "borrowed" from one part of the budget for excessive discretionary spending in other. The way the social security system works, they use TODAY'S withholdings to pay for the older generation's benefits. If there is nothing left when we reach retirement age, how can they pay me benefits? They can't. I suppose they could "borrow" more. We have to pay for our deficit sooner or later however.

Thank you, I have a very comfortable knowledge of the way our budget works, and SS. Nice try though.

• Members
Originally posted by rememberduane

I do, I just felt like bitching about the budget at the same time.

I understand that the OASDI program, for the OA part, keeps track of my earnings throughout my lifetime. I am then entitled to benefits when I reach "normal" retirement age (67 I believe is the min age for those born after 1960), in proportion with the withholdings kept from my earnings.

The problem is, in case you haven't noticed, the Bush Administration has dipped into these funds for military spending. They have "borrowed" from one part of the budget for excessive discretionary spending in other. The way the social security system works, they use TODAY'S withholdings to pay for the older generation's benefits. If there is nothing left when we reach retirement age, how can they pay me benefits? They can't.

Thank you, I have a very comfortable knowledge of the way our budget works, and SS. Nice try though.

:bor:

• Members

R-Duane...are you beating up on us old guys again! Don't worry junior...if you and the other liberals have your way, a left-wing wack-job will get elected into office and take all our military spending and give it to you 'young whiners'...nevermind protecting our country from terrorists or anything like that...that isn't as important as you getting 'yourses'....

• Members

I know you'll be whining about military spending again, but the vast majority of spending is on health care, social security, unemployment, and interest payment on debt. Less than 10% goes to military spending whereas over 40% goes to social programs.

Read up before you start whining about something you don't know much about.

• Members
Originally posted by rememberduane

So I'm 18. I know that when I get older, there's not going to be Social Security for me. Our government is dipping into current Social Security reserves to pay for military spending. It's really annoying that the majority of the withholdings from my paycheck goes to SS.

Honestly, we need an SS overhaul, but privatizing is a joke.

Just felt like venting.

Were the government more responsible with our money, and not spending 478 billion per year on military/defense BEFORE Afganistan and Iraq, then I might feel more comfortable. But right now, I am just sickened with the apportionment of our governmental spendings, and it really annoys me that my taxes go to seemingly irresponsible and superfluous military spending.

For example, the next largest military spender is the UK, at one TENTH of what we spend. The highest POSSIBLE threat is China, at under 1/10, or Saudi Arabia at around 1/18.

This, in my mind, is superfluous.

I feel like going Thoreau on their asses.
:D

Edit: Oh, and the EU COMBINED, spends ~2/5 of what we spend on military. And that's our expenditure BEFORE miltary discretionary spending. Which is half of our TOTAL discretionary spending.
:eek:
And discretionary spending is ONE THIRD OF THE FEDERAL BUDGET. So 1/6 + the 4% in original allocated funds = over 20% of the federal budget.

i agree 100 percent with you man. this administartion IMO has recklessly and carelessly beat up social programs for the people in order to increase military spending and to help profit military contractors.

• Members
Originally posted by Jarick

I know you'll be whining about military spending again, but
the vast majority of spending is on health care, social security, unemployment, and interest payment on debt
. Less than 10% goes to military spending whereas over 40% goes to social programs.

Read up before you start whining about something you don't know much about.

Incorrect.

Over 50% of discretionary spending is on military. Considering our discretionary spending is 1/3 of the budget, that is 1/6 right there (and I think 1/6 is more than 10%, if I know something about math), on TOP of the obligated expenditures we have in our planned budget for defense/military.

"Read up before you start whining about somethign you don't know much about."

Thank you and have a nice day. :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by guitar shmoe

R-Duane...are you beating up on us old guys again! Don't worry junior...if you and the other liberals have your way, a left-wing wack-job will get elected into office and take all our military spending and give it to you 'young whiners'...nevermind protecting our country from terrorists or anything like that...that isn't as important as you getting 'yourses'....

Automatically the name calling and assertions of a political agenda.

Learn more about military spending. We have ~ 5 TIMES as much as the EUROPEAN UNION. BEFORE discretionary spending, which is several times MORE than our obligatory spending.

Our military spending is superfluous and not well utilized.

Oh NOOOeZZZ what will be do without our 9,600 nukes?! ~6,600 of which are AT ACTIVE LEVELS and spending 4 billion dollars per year to maintain at those levels?!

Oh noooooooooooo!

What ever shall we do?!

• Members

My nubmers were outdated. Here's FY2005:

Defense = $420b (17%)
Nondefense = $490b (20%)
Social Security = $510b (38%)
Medicare = $290b (12%)
Medicaid = $188b (7%)
Other = $1309b (54%)
Interest = $178b (7%)

Defense, Homeland Security and war spending is 17% of the budget. Social programs are 57% of the budget. Government operations are 20% of the budget. Interest on debt is 7% of the budget. Other spending is 54% of the budget.

My argument still stands. You can cut up defense spending like Clinton did, but you'll end up paying for it again down the road, just like we're doing now before war expenses.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2005/tables.html

• Members

Originally posted by Jarick

My nubmers were outdated. Here's FY2005:

Defense = $420b (17%)

Nondefense = $490b (20%)

Social Security = $510b (38%)

Medicare = $290b (12%)

Medicaid = $188b (7%)

Other = $1309b (54%)

Interest = $178b (7%)

Defense,
Homeland Security and war spending is 17% of the budget
. Social programs are 57% of the budget. Government operations are 20% of the budget. Interest on debt is 7% of the budget. Other spending is 54% of the budget.

My argument still stands. You can cut up defense spending like Clinton did, but you'll end up paying for it again down the road, just like we're doing now before war expenses.

You do understand that's obligatory expenditures right? And that it's only 2/3 of our budget? There's another 1/3 that is called "discretionary spending", which is basically our "well, we didn't expect this" fund. Half of that is going to the military.

• Members

OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals... OMG Liberals...

Originally posted by guitar shmoe

Archived