Struggling for a company name

evildragon

• Members

I'm trying to figure out a name of a new sample producing company my friend is starting. I'm doing KSP scripting for him and throwing a lot of ideas around, however somehow we still didn't agree on the company name.

My first (and IMHO best) suggestion was Samplinfinity. In fact I liked it so much I made a logo for it:

dceedbe0.png

There are some other suggestions listed, so please vote your asses off. If you have a suggestion, it could also help, so just name it.

The company is gonna specialize in making sample libraries of rare ethnic instruments and percussions, ambiental material, soundeffects, etc.

We'd like to keep it short, 2 words at most.

Also, please elaborate why you voted for your option and not others. And please, serious suggestions only.

Thanks for your votes! :)

• Members

In fact I liked it so much I made a logo for it:

dceedbe0.png

Logos are made in vector-editing applications, not pixel-editing applications :cop: Don't put a bunch of layer effects on things and expect to be finished. Also, the Neuropol font was already overused in 2002 or so, and scaling up letters without keeping track of the stem widths is a big no in typography (ask Carbon111).

I wouldn't do it because the lazy eight is already like the "Processed by Infinity" stuff in the back of the Trinity/Triton manuals.

• Members

None of those names really do much for me. You should have a name that really makes you stand out, ideally it should tell me what you do exactly, but really I just have to be able to remember it. SamplInfinity, well, some people like it and it has most of the word "sample" in the name, but it seems really generic and it also just sounds like 5/6s of the word "sample" with the word "infinity" tacked on with no meaningful context.

Pretty much everything I said about SamplInfinity stands for Samplescope, too. Sonic Cauldron sounds like a rip off of Sonic Foundry.

Dexter Audio - is somebody named dexter? If so, that might work, but otherwise it just sort of seems like a vague pop culture reference and that seems unsuited for a company. You don't want to look like you're trying to capitalize on somebody else's hard work.

How about something combining something to do with sound and your home country? Croatia is kind of a unique place in the world that people don't immediately think of as a creative mecca, but that can work to your advantage. CroSound seems cool to me. Or Adriatica, or...hey, it's your company.

• Members

Thanks for the discussion!

However, the company is not Croatia based, it's Korea based, I'm a scripter for the guy whose idea for the company was :)

Yoozer, thanks for spoiling it up for me :(:cop:

xmlguy, you speak truth, however the coolness factor of Samplinfinity is still there :p

Carry on, gentlemen! :cop:

• Members

CasablancaWithTheWind.

The Rolling Beetles.

Daddys Angel.

Whisper of the Lava Ant.

My Attractive Mother.

Andy Griffith.

The Samplearium.

Sam-pull my finger.

Inter Cosmic Sample Galactica 9000 and three thirds.

And I'm only half kidding.

If I we're to do it straight laced though, I'd probably go with XMLguys sage advice, drop a syllable, and call it samplefinity or something, though it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

If it was hip hop guys I was catering to, I'd call it blaze sounds are some such nonsense. Techno guys, deep pulse. Experimental guys, I'd condascend and call it sykotic sound.

Across the board, I'm thinking "mother ship", sound or labs or something dumb and apocalyptic and catchy like that. Maybe just mother ship. That sounds kind of classic when I say it out loud, actually.

Some dark horse canidates...

Twisted Nerve.

War (always a hit).

Cold Fusion.

Red Highway.

Hot Forrest.

Cellar Door.

Far Land.

Post modern compound word title incorparated.

Hungry Window.

My Penis.

Free beer.

Strange light.

Cool Guns.

Magnetic Birds.

• Members

Volume Units

Whoa, I actually really like that! You know, you're selling stuff in volume quantities, volume pertains to audio, and units smacks of Audio Units. Nice.

Otherwise, I like Dexter Audio, you know, if it didn't remind everybody of the TV show. All these companies with "sample" in the name kinda melt together after a while.

• Members

I have dealt with marketing companies several times in my career and was married to a woman who did branding for fortune 500 companies. Take that with a grain of salt, just trying to pre-qualify my 2 cents:

I like Samplescope more than Sample Infinity, it rolls of the tung easier and only has 3 syllables and you can come up with a logo just as easy for a scope (say an oscillascope wave form)

But my personal vote goes to "Soundsabound"- still only 3 syllables but it rhymes. Very descriptive. Maybe more challenging to come up with a logo, though.

Archived