It's come down to Vox or Traynor?

joesl8

• Members

I know this subjects been beaten to death..by me as well but I've whittled it down to several amps. I've scoured this board, reading, studying, disecting info and it's come down to these. Haven't been able to play the ones I've listed and I know the Vox has quality issues. Also noted that I'll have to retube. I'm o.k. with that, just looking for the best tone, with the features and versatility I need. I'm going to sell my 5E3 clone, a great amp, just not the direction I'm going tonally + NO REVERB. I was going to go with an Allen Accomplice...but I can't afford that to spend that much, it's a hobby for me, I'm not going to fool anyone...I'll suck either way. Here are the choices, I'm leaning towards the YCV20WR:

Vox AC30

Vox AC15

Traynor YCV20 or YCV20WR

• Members

Originally posted by Pepi

I love the AC series. The 30 is bit to loud and heavy for my taste but the AC15 is heaven. I've not played through a Traynor 20 so I don't know about them.

Are you mainly a home player? I don't play out, so I agree that 30 watts will be overkill for me. I'm sure you could mike the 15 if needed anyway. Is the AC15 pretty versatile, I know you could do U2 or some british styled stuff, but how about Blues and others? I'm really concerned with the quality and reliability issues as well.

• Members

I don't gig anymore. I had a AC30 year ago and loved it. The AC15 will do any type of music but metal. And since they are pedal friendly they could do metal with the right pedal. As far as reliability I don't know about the new Vox stuff. I've heard they have had their problems with the newer stuff :( An older AC15 would cost you a left nut :D

• Members

The new 30 sounds a lot better than the 15. There are some issues with the 15 that are really strange in terms of the sound-- I can't explain it other than inconsistencies. The 30 sounds great, has way more options, and really, with the master volume, it doesn't have to be that loud to sound great at all.

• Members

Originally posted by Pepi

I don't gig anymore. I had a AC30 year ago and loved it. The AC15 will do any type of music but metal. And since they are pedal friendly they could do metal with the right pedal. As far as reliability I don't know about the new Vox stuff. I've heard they have had their problems with the newer stuff
:(
An older AC15 would cost you a left nut
:D

The older AC15TBX's were plagued with quality issues, just as some of the newer Custom Classics have been. I haven't had any trouble with my AC15TBX, but there are a few on this board that have had some trouble.

I would go with the Vox AC15CC, get the alinco blue if you can.

If you want more spread to the sound and more versatility than get the AC30CC.

• Members

Just ordered the traynor, 20WR with the greenback.. havent got it yet. but, a guy I know,(which is why I bought one) beat his all to hell and its still alive.. he said it was a well built tough amp. so I ordered one so I can toss it around for those small jam sessions and not have to haul the big iron. + I liked the sound of it with JJ tubes. he said it sucked ass with the stock tubes. I never heard it with the stock ones.

read where one guy actually put his traynor in a isocabinet and played 4 shows everyweekend. man thats gotta be tough on it.

I went with the traynor for the effects loop, reverb, greenback already in the amp,

Does the vox have a effects loop? havent looked at the back! and I messed around with one today!

• Members

I played a Vox 15CC today and was very impressed with the tone. I don't know anyone in town with a Traynor so I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet? I'd probaby throw a Weber Blue Dog, Tone Tubby or Alnico blue depending on which one I could find used or cheap (cheaper). The guy of course said he's sold a ton of them and haven't seen any complaints. I'm really worried about the cleans, I want that Coldplay, U2, Travis, shimmer clean and some real good Marshalesque distortion. I know the Vox will get the clean I like but I think the 30 watt is too much for me? Anyway, keep the suggestions comming. JJ's are recommended for the Traynor...what tubes are suggested for the Vox anyway?

:thu:

• Members

Damn there's a pretty good price on an AC30CC1 refurb, I think $799!? Traynor YCV20WR is around $550 and the AC15CC I played at guitar Center was going for $599???????

:confused:

How much could I ask GC to let that AC15 go for OTD??

• Members

I would stay away from the vox if I were you. I have a vox ac30tb and while I love the sound of them, it crapped out twice on me in the middle of a gig. The second time only two months after being retubed. I only give gear two chances if I am gonna depend on for the stage. On the other hand if you are just playing at home

you should be fine. Mine stays home now and is only used for recording.....but I still hate equipment I can't count on.

• Members

Originally posted by badger6

I would stay away from the vox if I were you. I have a vox ac30tb and while I love the sound of them, it crapped out twice on me in the middle of a gig. The second time only two months after being retubed. I only give gear two chances if I am gonna depend on for the stage. On the other hand if you are just playing at home

you should be fine. Mine stays home now and is only used for recording.....but I still hate equipment I can't count on.

Actually most of the time I've hear negative comments about reliability issues, it was concerning an older Vox. I haven't heard anything about the newer AC15cc or the AC30cc...nothing too bad really? I think I'm going to try for the AC15cc. It's smaller, compact, sounded good (maybe even better after a retube and possible speaker swap), and if I get it at GC it'll be close enough to drag down and have fixed. So what price should I shoot for!?

:cool:

• Members

With the AC30 CC1, you can get a smaller package and an fx loop, channel jumping, etc. I almost went for the 1x12 version.

I've got the CC2 and I am in love with it.:D And I read all the bad reviews as well. I play loud as fuck and haven't had any problems out of it. I may get some nos tubes to experiment with just for fun though.

Good luck with your tone quest.

• Members

Originally posted by soundchaser59

My Vox sounds tinny and brash compared to my YCV20WR......

In fact, I was in love with the Vox at first, but then I got my YCV20WR......

Now I'm willing to sell the Vox. I'm most unhappy with the way they (the new ones) are built....

Yeah, I was pretty set on going down this weekend and haggling for one but I've heard quite a few more bad reviews on it??? It sounded good to me but I haven't played a Traynor and doubt I'm going to find one to a/b?? My favorite two amps of the past were a JCM900 combo and an Allen V-18. I loved the Blackface clean.

• Members

I own both a Traynor YCV20WR and a VOX AC15CC.

Both are re-tubed with JJ power tubes and EHX preamp tubes. Both are loaded with a 12" alnico Weber Blue Dog. Also, I replaced the VOX's reverb tank with a larger 17" Accutronics one.

WITH THAT SAID... The AC15 blows away the Traynor. Both are amazing amps, and tube/speaker mods really brought out the life in both of them. I love them both. The Traynor is my back-up amp and I feel they are both very reliable.

I think the AC15's simplicity wins its. Having two channels just does not seem necessary to me, because the Traynors clean channel is so much better that I never change it anyway... I just use a boost pedal. I keep the Master cranked and use the Volume knob at gigs, but at home I am very greatful to have the Master control... I keep it at 12:00 and then use the Volume control for some nice crunch that doesn't piss off the neighbors. BTW... the Tremolo sounds wonderful, and the reverb is very nice once the tank is swapped out.

You can't go wrong either way, but if you are willing to swap out tubes and speakers than the AC15 has an edge.

BTW I play both an American Strat and a Gibson SG (both types of pickups sound great through these amps).

• Members

It is worth noting that Traynor has released a "BLUE" version of their YCV20 that has a more British sound to it. It comes loaded with a Red Coat speaker (I'm not sure if this is the only non-aesthetic difference or not).

Also, fwiw, the AC15CC's insides look surprisingly nice. I know people are pissed off about VOX amps being produced overseas now, but I was delighted to see the quality of the wire-routing, and I am willing to bet that the new CC series will actually be an improvement in the quality-consistency of VOX amps (let's be honest, they don't have the best track record).

My AC15CC is the perfect amp for me - and that includes both gigging and playing at home (who doesn't mic their amp at a gig anymore anyway?). I'd rather be allowed to crank it on stage to get that great tone. The AC30 is just too much for what I do, I don't need or want that loud of an amp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by JJunk

I own both a Traynor YCV20WR and a VOX AC15CC.

Both are re-tubed with JJ power tubes and EHX preamp tubes. Both are loaded with a 12" alnico Weber Blue Dog. Also, I replaced the VOX's reverb tank with a larger 17" Accutronics one.

WITH THAT SAID... The AC15 blows away the Traynor. Both are amazing amps, and tube/speaker mods really brought out the life in both of them. I love them both. The Traynor is my back-up amp and I feel they are both very reliable.

You can't go wrong either way, but if you are willing to swap out tubes and speakers than the AC15 has an edge.

JJ, hey, give me the skinny on the speaker and tube swap!? Do you have to have the amp re-baised with a tube swap and is it hard to do the speaker and reverb swap?? Where'd you find the reverb tank anyway and did it make much of a difference tonally? Who'd you buy your tubes from, did you change the 12AX7's as well, and were they matched sets?? Sorry for all the questions, just want to pour some more love into this amp!! :love:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Welladjusted

If you want versatility, go for the Traynor. If you want the Vox tone, get the Vox.

I couldn't find a Traynor to try out. I heard they were good but I played the Vox AC15CC at a local GC and when one was on sale at MF, I jumped on it. I'm happy, just want to make it better. JJunk is the only person I've heard of that has modified an AC15 (new speaker, tubes, and reverb), so I was hoping to get more info on it? I think I may have lined up a good source for tubes and the speaker, my final quest will be for the 17 Accutronic Tank...I'm not even sure what tank is in this thing to begin with??

:confused:

Archived