Questions about Greenbacks vs. G12H30s...

atbear

• Members

I have two G12H30s, so I know what they sound like, but I'd like to ask some questions about Greenbacks relative to them.

Are the Greenbacks warmer or brighter than H30s?

Which have more highs, GBs or H30s?

Are the GB's highs smoother/more mellow than the H30s? I find the H30's highs kinda harsh... like a little too much presense. They also crunch a little too much for me.

I take it GBs are smoother than H30s... I know they are quieter.

What I'm trying to decide is whether to buy 4 Greenies for my new Marshall JCM 800 2203, or just stick with my V30s. I like the V30s a lot, but wouldn't mind a quieter, smoother, more vintage, chewier speaker. However, if it's not for me, it'd sure cost a lot just to not like them. Vlad and RVS sure make 'em sound good, though!

Basically, I'm really worried about brightness (I like warmth in general, and the JCM 800 is a bright amp)... and thickness (I want it!). It seems in some clips the GBs are smooth, and in others they're crunching like crazy (good if you want that... bad if you don't). So I'm looking for some help, since I've got 2 H30s here to compare them to...

Thanks for any help!

Drew

• Members

Greenies are a little brighter than the H30's and have a bit more highs. The H30's sound bassier and have a tad more low end as their original use was intended for bass guitar.

Keep in mind if the H30s are new they will take a little time to break in. They will sound stiff when they are new.

• Members
Originally posted by pezguy

Greenies are a little brighter than the H30's and have a bit more highs. The H30's sound bassier and have a tad more low end as their original use was intended for bass guitar.

Keep in mind if the H30s are new they will take a little time to break in. They will sound stiff when they are new.

All the reviews I've read said the H30's are brighter than the GB's.

:confused:

• Members

"crunchy" is the first thing I think of when you say greenies. that's what they do... H30s are smoother to my ear. They both sound great with JCM800s though (I have a 412 with greenies and a 212 with H30s). The greenbacks are more of a rock vibe, whereas the H30s are a little harder.

• Members
Originally posted by pezguy

This is an important point, and should be taken into consideration. I have heard of several people dismissing H30s because they don't sound good at all when new.

After they break in, they sound way better. Some people say they are the best current producion speaker being made. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Tatosh

This is an important point, and should be taken into consideration. I have heard of several people dismissing H30s because they don't sound good at all when new.

After they break in, they sound way better. Some people say they are the best current producion speaker being made.
:thu:

I got Dave at Avatar's Hellatone 30 model G12H30s, which come pre-broken in... also, I've been playing them for the past month. I'm sure they'll break in further, but I think I'm hearing a true enough representation to make a comparison.

• Members
Originally posted by Tatosh

After they break in, they sound way better. Some people say they are the best current producion speaker being made.
:thu:

+1

They sound really bright and stiff when new.
They do break in pretty well....but from my experience H30's are brighter overall over the greenbacks (H30's have more high mids), and greenbacks have more lows (warmth)...
Actually I wouldn't compare the 2, they are very different tonewise.

H30's are just the ticket for thick amps like Mesa's and I use them with my Legacy combo, but for Marshall's, they are too sharp sounding...Marshall's already have a good amount of high mid bite. Greenies make Marshall's sound smooth and chewy.

• Members

Originally posted by atbear

Are the Greenbacks warmer or brighter than H30s?

To me they're warmer, but the mids are more forward than G12H30s which some may perceive as brighter

Which have more highs, GBs or H30s?

H30s. However there's 55hz H30s which are darker

Are the GB's highs smoother/more mellow than the H30s? I find the H30's highs kinda harsh... like a little too much presense. They also crunch a little too much for me.

Totally agree on too much presence on H30s. Unless your cab is ultra warm its too much IMO. Greenback is much woodier.

What I'm trying to decide is whether to buy 4 Greenies for my new Marshall JCM 800 2203, or just stick with my V30s. I like the V30s a lot, but wouldn't mind a quieter, smoother, more vintage, chewier speaker. However, if it's not for me, it'd sure cost a lot just to not like them. Vlad and RVS sure make 'em sound good, though!

I love both V30s and GBs. A good idea would be to replace only 2 V30s (the top ones in a 4x12) with GBs

Basically, I'm really worried about brightness (I like warmth in general, and the JCM 800 is a bright amp)... and thickness (I want it!). It seems in some clips the GBs are smooth, and in others they're crunching like crazy (good if you want that... bad if you don't). So I'm looking for some help, since I've got 2 H30s here to compare them to...

GBs really change their character when you crank them, moreso than most other speakers.

Thanks for any help!

Drew

Bottom line is both the V30 and GB have incredible midrange character, something I now find the H30 to lack. Anyway good luck with the speaker search!

• Members

I'm stuck with trying to make the same decision. Getting ready to order an Avatar 2x12, just can't decide between the 2 speakers. From what I've just read, I'm thinking GBs may be the right speaker for me.

Jerry

• Members

The G12H-30 has a certain "grittiness" to them that can kind be percieved as more high-end. The G12H a pretty broad midrange as where the GB has a cutting upper-midrange rasp. The G12H supposedly has characteristics of both the GB and V30. The Eminence GB12 is similar to the Celestion GB, but has a smoother, tighter high-end, a tighter, low end, and all the sweet midrange warmth that the Celestion has. I admit though, there is a certain something that a true Greenie brings with it :thu:

The one other speaker you may want to look into is the Celestion G1265, or the Weber version or the Eminence Tonespotter. They have crunch....but not too much. They have a thick, warm midrange and low-end, and a smooth high end. They are pretty damn articulate and articulate as well. I'm going to be getting a few more Tonespotters to try in my 412 instead of just my 112 combo.

Archived