Mesa 4x12 half back cabinet?

steverags

• Members

I am trying to find some info on this cab. The older Mesa Boogie 4x12 half back cabinet. The one with the metal grill. Does anyone out there have the dimensions? And how do they sound? I'm planning on running a Mark IV through it. I like the idea of having a half open, half closed cab. It seems like it would sound very full. Anyone out there own one? I really need the dimensions before I purchase one. Thanks!!

• Members

All I can tell you is that the cab is shorter, but deeper than a standard Marshall type cab. They are also very heavy. They sound great. You can still buy the top back panel from Mesa if you want to close the back fully.

• Members

Originally posted by facefirst

They sound fantastic. Best cabs Mesa has ever made. I run all my Mesa heads through them and they all sound amazing.

does yours have metal or plastic hardware?

i've seen some with plastic mesa handles, and some with metal :confused:

• Members

great cab..but hell on the ears..will peel paint and kill your neighbors dog...

taking the back off softens the sound somewhat..still very clean..

( to much for me.)..

let me put it you this way..I owned two of them that were the built in ones with the road cases..( used to be an option at mesa)..i was playing mine in the basement of my mothers Duplex...( 2 family house.)..

there is a solid cinder block wall going thru the middle of the house to divided the two...i knocked pictures off the wall on in the apt on the other side of the house...way to much cab to be playing indoors...

..:)

• Members

the one i bought, had plastic hardware and the wrong speakers in it, so i made the guy refund me. luckily it was a local deal.

that cab is now being sold at insturment exchange and is listed as having all EV's :rolleyes:

so yeah, don't buy that one.

• Members

wow. Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm gonna get one. What speaker configuration do you guys prefer? I have a few EV12Ls. I've experimented with them in different cabs, but they sound the best in the Mesa 1x12 Theile cabs. I think some of the half back 4x12s have them in the bottom half. Like I said, I'm using a Mark IV head. I need a diverse sound from fender like cleans to that mesa low end thump. So what would you guys suggest? Vintage 30s on top and EVs on the bottom? Suggestions?

• Members

I have one and it has two MESA MC-90 speakers on top, they are exellent for all Mesa amps ecspecially Mark series.

Mine has 2 Emminence Vintage 50's in the bottom and they sound good but I tried an EV12L and that is better. I'm looking for a second one so if you have an extra..? PM me

Several people on this forum have them and agree 2 Mc 90 top and 2 EVM 12L bottom are best or 4 MC-90's.

EV's rule for leads and are about the best for cleans as they won't break up with that 200 watt rating. Highly sought after by Jazz musicians.

Good luck

• Members

I'm on the lookout for one of these cabs myself. Prices are definitely going up on 'em but I'm still holding out for a good deal. Back when the Mark series went away and the Recto stuff was getting popular, these cabs could be had for next to nothing. I can remember seeing them regularly go for like $100-$150 back in the mid '90s. I'm kicking myself in the ass now for not grabbing one back then! A local shop has one in pretty beat to {censored} condition, and I think they have it priced at $700-ish. That won't work for me!

• Members

I have a plastic Handled one, Ev's bottom, Mc-90's up top,

Love It. Recto's sound so much better through these then the Recto cabs IMHO. Gets rid of the Boomy low end I was Hearing, just sounds more...Solid is I guess the word I would use. Paid $500.00 for mine about two months ago, Very clean with cover.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

don't you usually lose bottom end and thump when it's open back ?

I guess it does sound good depending of the sound you're after.

for heavy distortion, metal stuff, this sounds good ? I've never played one, but I'd doubt it.:evil:

• Members

I have one too. Very nice cab. Mine had 2 Eminence speakers in the top and 2 EV's in the bottom. I switched out the eminences in the top for 2 MC90's. Mine was not a stock configuration.

I have always run my fully closed back. I keep meaning to open up the top, but I never get around to it.

Anyway the cab sounds great with a mark IV.

I would like to get the 212 version at some point.

Archived